*** Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) ***

Options

Comments

• Der_Lex wrote:
    The most glaring omission here would be Peter David's fantastic original run on X-Factor in the 90's, which really fleshed out Quicksilver as a character, and gave us the iconic shrink session where Pietro explains why he has such a huge chip on his shoulder.
    Not to mention the more recent X-Factor: The Quick and the Dead by Peter David

Also essential reading is this 1972 memo by Stan Lee. Poor Quicksilver
    importancemeter-620x802.jpg
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not to contradict all the anti-love for our newest hero, but consider him partnered with the new invisible woman. For 7 blue mana, all quicksilver's abilities drop to minimum cost and the next blue match goes boom. That's got.... possibilities.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    6300 damage in a passive is more than Prof X. And it's pretty easy to pair QS will people who can accelerate blue matches. MnMags and Rags would destroy a team pretty quickly.

I think they lowered his abilities a bit because of the synergy pairings. Two crit tiles for 5 AP was a bit OP. Same with 4 tiles swaps for 5 AP. His old abilities had infinite loop written all over it.

They still might, but we'll have to see. I think adjusting his black by 1 AP instead of 2 might have put him in the right spot. I wouldn't necessarily say he's as bad as everything thinks until we've actually played with him.
  • All his max damage is like 1.5-2k
    Locked tiles depends on blue matches so even with ap reduction how long till you match blue and detonate them losing all the ap advantage?
    A maxed Bagsilver on 355 will deal 348 damage on his first skill that might cost 11ap?

Seems the creator of Beast and Bagman got his masterpiece
  • He should also have more health
    They already said is not literal, its also defined by the evasion skills one chracter could have
    Isnt he supposed to have amazing evasion kills? But no, same health than an old bald man in a wheelchair lol
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Agent Alex wrote:
    He should also have more health
    They already said is not literal, its also defined by the evasion skills one chracter could have
    Isnt he supposed to have amazing evasion kills? But no, same health than an old bald man in a wheelchair lol
    Yeah, he should a passive like Elektra where he can avoid damage being dealt to him. It can be something like unlocking 1~2 of locked tiles, if they want to stay with lock tiles theme.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Spiritclaw wrote:
    Not to contradict all the anti-love for our newest hero, but consider him partnered with the new invisible woman. For 7 blue mana, all quicksilver's abilities drop to minimum cost and the next blue match goes boom. That's got.... possibilities.

I will make sure to test this immediately after release. I was already using IW with him to get an idea for how well another locked tile creater goes with him, but 5 blue matches was too much.
  • notamutant wrote:
    Spiritclaw wrote:

I will make sure to test this immediately after release. I was already using IW with him to get an idea for how well another locked tile creater goes with him, but 5 blue matches was too much.

These two characters play horribly together because if you're bringing IW to flush your bubbles for 2K team damage that's literally all she's doing and a complete waste of a slot, but if you're actually trying to do something useful with IW that means your opponent can just randomly force you to flush all your bubbles whenever they make a blue match since the passive triggers on opponent's matches. If anything, Quicksilver is probably meant to counter IW, including your own. His abilities at -4 AP cost aren't strong enough to warrant bringing another character solely for the purpose of getting them to -4 AP, but IW can't do anything interesting with her bubbles with the forced bubble flush on blue matches either, so all they do is get in each other's way.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Drat; I somehow managed to be disappointed tiwce - on first reading of rebalance I thought he'd just lost his 5th cover powers, but just now I registered that his power costs have gone up too. icon_redface.gif
    My goodness is he bad!

Idle Hands
    Appalling damage even for 7 AP on a 3*, and it is not going to consistently cost 7 with the dual possibilities of too little blue or too much blue.
    Best case scenario for tile swapping is wiping out a row for 8 random AP (2 separate matches of 3 is going to pretty uncommon), so you might be able to trade 8(ish) black AP for a hodgepodge of others whilst getting 1.5k damage in to the bargain.
    Not the worst thing ever, but doesn't stack up well against a proper black attack power nor other 3* powers with similar design (e.g. Human Torch's Fireball does twice the damage for a fixed 8 AP and 2 AP rebate).
    PvE = Meh, but may counter 1-2 countdowns in a pinch.
    PvP = Utterly useless and a liability with any other black users - immeasurably so with 3 covers!

Supersonic
    Definitely the only reason to use him, but I fear will prove quite tricky to pull off in practice - will need a solid blue showing to get 5 matches done (and there are currently more powers to target blue tiles than create them), and the tiles themselves are vulnerable to matches and powers too.
    A great board will make this look good, but it will still be efficient to have an actual blue user on the team as otherwise you may as well be paying 9-12 AP anyway.
    PvE = Underperforms against goons as have to make all the matches yourself.
    PvP = Annoying enough passive power that Quicksilver may draw aggro (good or bad depending who you team him with), but he's a soft target & blue isn't a popular color right now so don't see him being very intimidating.

Fist of Fury
    Damage would look half-way decent, but for the fact this is green - where many of the super-super-powers reside.
    I think the best that can be said is that it is a green attack power for when your team has no other green attack powers...
    PvE = Bargain-basement green power.
    PvP = Utterly useless and a liability with any other green users (whom are legion) - unquantifiably so with 3 covers! The AI will also make criticals then pass up the chance to use them, for added facepalms.

Attributes
    With the rebalance 6.8k puts him on the squishy end of the spectrum, and his colors don't do him any favours as he can only really hide behind characters with superior black powers or Daken - who's the last person you want to be clearing the board of blue tiles with.
    Doesn't really work as a bench-warmer either, as their aren't many second-string 3*s who won't overlap & will have any use for excess blue AP.

Covers
    So so bad - just AWFUL!
    5 Blue is a must or he's not worth playing, but at 4 covers either of his other powers is a joke - and at 3 covers the unlucky power is reduced to 1* proportions.
    He's extra-**** in PvP whichever way you build, but personally I'd opt for 5|5|3 as Idle Hands has some utility/countdown merit and - no matter what roster someone currently has - no-one can fail to have a better green attack power in the long-run.

- - - - - - - - -

Overall: that was quite depressing to write - I was so happy to pull a blue cover from Prodigal Sun, too. icon_e_sad.gif
    I can scarcely believe D3 are about to introduce a 3* character who deals 435 damage at L166... for shame!
  • Agent Alex wrote:
    All his max damage is like 1.5-2k
    Locked tiles depends on blue matches so even with ap reduction how long till you match blue and detonate them losing all the ap advantage?
    A maxed Bagsilver on 355 will deal 348 damage on his first skill that might cost 11ap?

Seems the creator of Beast and Bagman got his masterpiece

I'm happy we have another memeber to the bag-family. Not even beast-tier. Just Bag-tier. Keep releasing bag characters D3. Don't slow down for anything like, I dunno - balancing.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is it just me or are people grinding especially hard for this guy? It's almost like they think he's worth having icon_lol.gif
  • Is it just me or are people grinding especially hard for this guy? It's almost like they think he's worth having icon_lol.gif
    We are preparing ourselves for the essential nodes on next release on a couple days when TaT ends, because it seems that Ultron-Skarlet-w/e is comming as soon as that.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Is it just me or are people grinding especially hard for this guy? It's almost like they think he's worth having icon_lol.gif
    We are preparing ourselves for the essential nodes on next release on a couple days when TaT ends, because it seems that Ultron-Skarlet-w/e is comming as soon as that.

Knowing that there's "exciting new content" coming down the pike has been one of my motivators for not taking the event off. But honestly, I've found it less competitive than most of the recent new character releases. Maybe it's because I switched time slices. But my attitude at the end of each sub has been, "Oh, look, if I grind out a few more of these nodes, I'll get an extra 50 HP," with the HP motivating me more than placement. If I don't just say screw it (which I definitely still might), I'm looking at my first top 10 finish in a while.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If there's really new content coming, I'm hoping it'll motivate me enough that not having him for the Essentials won't mean I can't place top 150 for whatever new Ultron tie-in character they churn out next. We'll see. I just can't bring myself to give a toss about him or this re-run of Prodigal Sun (which I've played way too many times since it first came out.)
  • So far, the 'new content' Ive heard is about
    a sort of "group boss" like we have on Marvel: Avengers Alliance (the facebook RPG-like game), where you need several fights against the very same boss with a huge HP where you sent invites to your friends to help take it down. For example, a regular character at max level has about 5~7k HP, the boss has around 800~900k. In MPQ it would be a boss to take down by in group, no idea if friends or alliance.

Interessingly enough, this feature was first introduced on MAA with the most recent comics Ultron arc, the Age of Ultron, and Ultron himself was the group boss. Maybe we will have it as a tie-in with the movie.

• This is a better cover choice by far. However, there still has got to be better cover art for Quicksilver. C'mon D3 try harder like Ultimates volume 1 issue 8. Sorry, can't post pics but check it out.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    Also essential reading is this 1972 memo by Stan Lee.

That is... amazing. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Thanks, gamar!!

I knew Dracula was a (the?) top-selling Marvel book for much of the 70s (and justifiably so -- "Tomb Of Dracula" is an excellent read), but I've never heard of a couple of these.

This game needs a **** Gullivar Jones (Warrior of Mars) ASAP.

CreaturesontheLoose21.jpg
  • I imagine using him with IW, and you you lock 3 tiles and get ready to force destroy them for 3-4k and then the idiot makes his passive, locks one more and make them explode al l for 500 damage lol, I dont think there's much sinergy there
  • If there's really new content coming, I'm hoping it'll motivate me enough that not having him for the Essentials won't mean I can't place top 150 for whatever new Ultron tie-in character they churn out next. We'll see. I just can't bring myself to give a toss about him or this re-run of Prodigal Sun (which I've played way too many times since it first came out.)

Supposedly we will get a break after this pve end , so even if there's a back to back pve, it wont be a new hero
    so i'm guessing thats for next week
  • Wow I didn't realized Quicksilver was this average. I thought his skills will improve with covers but it seems they just marginally increase the base damage. First slice just ended and I'm starting to feel like I've grinded to Top 10 for no good reason.