*** Mystique (Raven Darkholme) ***

over_clocked
over_clocked Posts: 3,961
edited January 2016 in Character Details
[anchor=mystique3]Mystique (Raven Darkholme)[/anchor] icon_mystique.png
3 Star Rarity (Rare) Discussion link. Wiki link.
At Max Level: HP: 8075 Tile damage: 12/13/70/79/11/61/3.0
    Shapeshift - Purple 8 purpletile.png
    Mystique changes her appearance to make her look like the target enemy, creating an 8 turn Countdown tile. While shapeshifted whenever the enemy team makes a greentile.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.png match Mystique steals 1 AP of that color.
      Level 2: Also stuns the target for 1 turn Level 3: Also steals 1 AP whenever the enemy team makes a Blue match Level 4: Also steals 1 AP whenever the enemy team makes a Purple or Black match Level 5: Also steals 1 AP whenever the enemy team makes a Team-Up match. Stuns for 1 additional turn
      Infiltration - Blue 10 bluetile.png
      Mystique infiltrates an organization giving herself ample opportunity to unravel plans. Transforms 5 random basic tiles that are redtile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.png into purpletile.png or blacktile.png.
        Level 2: Now transforms 5 tiles. Level 3: Transforms 6 tiles. Level 4: Transforms 7 tiles. Level 5: Transforms 9 tiles.
        Masterstroke - Black 11 blacktile.png
        Mystique reveals her secret plan, taking everyone by surprise. Deals 438 damage, and reduces both teams' redtile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.png AP by 2. If Mystique is shapeshifted, she destroys her shapeshift tile and deals an additional 329 damage.
          Level 2: Does not reduce friendly
        greentile.png AP.
        Level 3: Deals 548 damage, plus an additional 658 damage if shapeshifted
        Level 4: Does not reduce friendly redtile.png AP
        Level 5: Deals 986 damage, plus an additional 1316 damage if shapeshifted.
        Max Level: 3130 Damage. Additional 4172 damage for Shapeshift tile.

portrait_uncanny.jpg
        Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Sounds like she'd be interesting with MNMags, with his Purple fueling her Blue and vice versa. Could add on Black Panther for an AOE Black, or Mawkeye though then it'd be a squishy team.

Her AP steal doesn't look as strong as Blade's, though her and Hood together would make it a pain to collect AP. It seems more practical just to match the AP yourself than to try to collect 8 pink to do it. It could be effective against slower characters like Thor though. She really seems like an anti-Thor.

It's hard to comment much further without stats.
        • zeeke
          zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
          Too squishy

I'd bet she will earn a place just beside Dr O in my roster, back of the buss longing for ISO that will only come her way after I built a second or third Hood
        • We shall have to see how it plays out, but this character seems to have been designed as a really hard counter to Thor, Sentry, and Patch.
        • ErikPeter
          ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
          Cool. Skull Belt?

You guys read the end of the article there?
          Mystique’s not the last you've seen of the Marvel Universe ladies this year either, especially if you’re into the more rough and tumble types as opposed to Raven and Natasha’s black ops style combat.
          If that's not Rogue I'm going to be disappointed. Unless it's just another Spider-Woman hint.
        • Depending on where her Blue ability lands she is inbetween "garbo" and "very powerful".

You may sharpen your pitchforks for now but don't raise them before we have seen her abilities.
        • GrumpySmurf1002
          GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
          There's a niche market with XForce/CMag teams (or LCap or 4Thor if you prefer for your R/Y/B of choice), which is purple. Early returns say blade won't really fit there, but Mystique looks a bit more promising. This is still just another support character however, so her playability will be more tied to fun than meta.
        • SolidQ
          SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
        • Highdark
          Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
          Holy **** she is ugly. I was looking for a sexy mystique, but she looks like someone wanted her to look like the joker and failed to capture both
        • wymtime
          wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
          SolidQ wrote:

I like her abilities and if you can hide her she will be strong. The problem will be hiding her at max level. She will always tank Purple, and only She-Hulk, and BP with tank Blue from her. Also with Blue you need to make sure you have a lot of purple and black on the board becuase if it is turning 10 R,Y,G to P,B that is 5 black 5 purple. That is kind of like Red Thor. Not many matches may come from it. It would be better if it just turned 1 10 R,Y,G to 1 color purple or black. Imagine if it did Purple with MMN mags a 2* would dominate the game.
        • Infiltration seems superior to Thunder Strike in that it only targets RYG tiles, and it costs 3 AP less. It might also chain well into CMags Polarizing Force.

She seems too slow to counter sentry. Also I wish they had gone with another cover... that face icon_eek.gif
        • simonsez
          simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
          SolidQ wrote:
          "Random" tiles is a huge problem here. She would've been way more fun and useful if you could place the tiles.
        • What the hell is she wearing? It looks like a spooky cocktail dress.

As for her powers, I like the Purple/Blue/Black color set. Her low health seems a bit alarming, but until I see what all the covers do at level 5 it's hard to speculate.
        • Nellyson
          Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
          JessyC01 wrote:
          What the hell is she wearing? It looks like a spooky cocktail dress.

As for her powers, I like the Purple/Blue/Black color set. Her low health seems a bit alarming, but until I see what all the covers do at level 5 it's hard to speculate.

It's her comics version. Actually very common for her and what I was hoping they would go with.
        • ErikPeter wrote:
          Cool. Skull Belt?

You guys read the end of the article there?
          Mystique’s not the last you've seen of the Marvel Universe ladies this year either, especially if you’re into the more rough and tumble types as opposed to Raven and Natasha’s black ops style combat.
          If that's not Rogue I'm going to be disappointed. Unless it's just another Spider-Woman hint.

We just got another Captain Marvel, now we're getting Mystique, Rogue has to be coming pretty soon.
        • The problem, IMO, is that her powers are way too expensive to be a counter-character. Compare her to Sentry or Patch-- her powers are right in the same cost range, which means that she's not going to be doing much on defense-- the enemy will focus on their colors while the AI won't, and then they'll just kill her before she can get off any abilities.

Granted, she's not godawful like Doc Ock. But she still fails pretty badly at shutting down the powerhouses that she's intended to counter. She probably needs a passive of some kind so that she can do something right out of the gate. Hood does her job much better.

It's a shame, because her abilities are pretty interesting. But the fact that your team needs to be effective even when controlled by the AI really hamstrings her effectiveness.
        • simonsez
          Muspel wrote:
          Granted, she's not godawful like Doc Ock.
          You meant Beast, right? At least Doc Ock has a set of skills that make sense vs. goons. Mystique's set of skills only seem geared to answer the question "what would a battle be like if no one could cast any r/g/y abilities?" For me, that was never a burning question.
        • Muspel wrote:
          The problem, IMO, is that her powers are way too expensive to be a counter-character. Compare her to Sentry or Patch-- her powers are right in the same cost range, which means that she's not going to be doing much on defense-- the enemy will focus on their colors while the AI won't, and then they'll just kill her before she can get off any abilities.

Granted, she's not godawful like Doc Ock. But she still fails pretty badly at shutting down the powerhouses that she's intended to counter. She probably needs a passive of some kind so that she can do something right out of the gate. Hood does her job much better.

It's a shame, because her abilities are pretty interesting. But the fact that your team needs to be effective even when controlled by the AI really hamstrings her effectiveness.

Doc Oc is fine. His black is great, even. He's not like Beast where every single one of his abilities blow.

This chick was clearly made to be played with Blade, but follows the Hood model being an enabler that dies if you sneeze at them. Except Hood has the best passive in the entire game and enables an 1 turn WR.

Also what the **** really, Mystique? Why.
        • I think she was created very specifically as a Sentry counter. Given how long it'll be before she's covered, though, and the fact that there are easier ways to counter Sentry, I suspect this will not be a successful experiment.
        • simonsez
          ark123 wrote:
          This chick was clearly made to be played with Blade
          I don't see that at all. You want a board full of red for Blade to be effective, and she seems to make sure that isn't going to happen.
        • Unknown
          edited November 2014
          on featured pvp (duo) :
          1. if her shapeshift also steal R/G/Y then she's good duo with C.Mags and 3 tank char Colossus,Thor and oh **** Sentry :(.
          2. her infiltration feeds seems fit with DP whales3 or XF surgical or Blade Nightstalker n KYECloser.
          on feat PVP, not bad for climbing to 600 until "teamshift" w sentry/hood or XF/hood icon_lol.gif

EDIT: i forgot her color P/Blue/Black so DP/XF/Blade is dftnly a bad mix.