*** Luke Cage (Hero For Hire) ***

Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in Character Details
[anchor=lukecage3]Luke Cage (Hero For Hire)[/anchor] icon_lukecage.png
3 Star Rarity (Rare) Discussion link. Wiki link.
At Max Level: HP: 9690 Tile damage: 79/70/13/11/12/61/3.0
    Righteous Uppercut - 13 yellowtile.png
    Inspired by his team, Luke winds up and delivers a massive blow to the enemy. Luke deals 548 damage, plus 159 damage for each ally still in the fight.
      Level 2: Luke deals 658 damage Level 3: Deals 223 damage for each ally still in the fight. Level 4: Luke deals 986 damage. Level 5: Luke deals 1425 damage plus 413 for each ally still in the fight.
    Max Level: 3 - 2435/706 damage, 4 - 3130/907 damage, 5 - 4521/1310 damage
      Unbreakable - PASSIVE redtile.png
      With his bulletproof, steel-hard skin, Luke Cage is a walking tank. At the beginning of every turn, if there are no friendly Protect tiles on the board, Luke creates a strength 33 redtile.png Protect tile.
        Level 2: Creates a Strength 38
      redtile.png Protect tile.
      Level 3: Creates a Strength 45 redtile.png Protect tile.
      Level 4: Creates a Strength 58 redtile.png Protect tile.
      Level 5: Creates a Strength 85 redtile.png Protect tile.
      Max Level: 3 - 141 Protect tile, 4 - 182 Protect tile, 5 - 268 Protect tile
        Jab, Jab, Cross - 6 blacktile.png
        Luke sets up for a classic one-two punch to knock his opponents cold. Luke deals 164 damage and places a 4-turn Countdown tile. While active, Jab, Jab, Cross deals 597 damage instead.
          Level 2: Luke deals 190 damage or 710 damage if his Countdown tile exists. Level 3: Luke deals 246 damage or 818 damage if his Countdown tile exists. Level 4: If his Countdown tile exists, Luke also stuns the target for 1 turn. Level 5: Luke deals 328 damage or 1367 damage if his Countdown tile exists.
        Max Level: 3 - 783/2596 damage, 4 - 783/2596 damage + 1 turn stun, 5 - 1044/4340 damage +1 turn stun

From Forum Exclusive: Presenting Luke Cage!

Good people of the forums! The holidays are upon us and it's time for a little something special just for you. Right here, right now - exclusively in the forums - it's time to reveal our next Marvel Puzzle Quest hero.

Ladies and gentlemen, we present Luke Cage!

2s8fzbo.jpg

Born and raised in Harlem, this powerful 3-star hero with the nearly-unbreakable skin has lead both the Thunderbolts and the Avengers. Cage is all about power and stamina and is primed and ready for villain-smashing action. Here's a first-look tease at Cage's art and abilities. More will be unveiled early in the new year.

Luke Cage will make his in-game debut on December 30th and will be earnable on January 7th. Cage stars in his own Versus match on January 9th.

Luke Cage Abilities:

Righteous Uppercut (Yellow)

Unbreakable (Red)

Jab, Jab, Cross (Black)

"Sweet Christmas!"

Comments

• turul
          turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
          Wonder how they implement unbreakable skin...
        • When will we be able to play for him?
        • turul wrote:
          Wonder how they implement unbreakable skin...

If they did, it would mean immunity to strike tiles.
        • Dayv
          Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
          dw316 wrote:
          When will we be able to play for him?
          Per the official announcement:
          "David wrote:
          Moore"]Luke Cage will make his in-game debut on December 30th and will be earnable on January 7th. Cage stars in his own Versus match on January 9th.

I assume that means he'll be a prize in the next week-long PvE, and a guest character somewhere in that PvE, but they could change it up. I hope they do, because week-long PvEs are getting real old.
        • turul
          turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
          edited December 2014
          Jab-Jab looks usable, otherwise looks bad...
          unbreakable seems like a joke. (generating protect tile only if otherwise not present)
        • NorthernPolarity
          NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
          From first glance, i think hes gonna be a pretty good pve tank / pvp char for transitioners. The most important thing about luke is his red, which basically is a free defense tile throughout all stages of the game for you. If it gets to 200ish strength, just bringing luke negates all match damage, for free! As long as black and yellow do okay damage (4k for yellow, 3k for subsequent jabs?), hell be pretty good.

Also inb4 ppl calling him useless because xf ladythor exist and hence all new chars suck for pvp.
        • YES LUKE'S ABILITIES ARE GOOD WHOO HOO BLACK POWER eattack.png!!!!!!!!!!!!
        • ErikPeter
          ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
          Assuming it scales like other character's powers, Uppercut should do 4K + 1200 for each ally. Or something, it's hard to gauge. 6K for 13 AP isn't bad. Jab is even nicer, assuming you have or can get 12 black. And the AI will probably waste it making him reasonable to play against.
        • His red should generate protect tiles every turn, then it'd be more than just a "block match damage" move. His yellow is very similar to the hand ninjas red power (forgot name, it's not meteor arm or caltrops). His black is very similar to colossus red. Decent health. Overall not a bad character but could be better
        • Dayv
          We don't know what Unbreakable does at higher levels. Certainly the protect strength will go up, but another direction it could grow is to increase the minimum number of friendly protect tiles. e.g. "If there are less than 3 friendly protect tiles, Luke Cage generates a strength 115 protect tile".

If you don't have any other fast protect generators on your team, Cage's red could be great.
        • His red could be "if there are less than X protet tiles, create one. If there are more, create a Y (weaker, like 1/4 strenght) protect tile", with no cap.
        • DayvBang wrote:
          We don't know what Unbreakable does at higher levels. Certainly the protect strength will go up, but another direction it could grow is to increase the minimum number of friendly protect tiles. e.g. "If there are less than 3 friendly protect tiles, Luke Cage generates a strength 115 protect tile".

If you don't have any other fast protect generators on your team, Cage's red could be great.

I honestly, honestly hope not. If it turns out to be that, he might as well say "opponent deals no match damage"
        • Dayv
          ark123 wrote:
          DayvBang wrote:

I honestly, honestly hope not. If it turns out to be that, he might as well say "opponent deals no match damage"
          If it scales up in quantity, it will have to scale very slowly in protect value. My example is probably overpowered, I pulled the numbers out of thin air.

I'm a little surprised he simply creates protect tiles. I would have thought "Unbreakable" would be more specific to damage dealt to Luke Cage, rather than protecting the whole team. Of course, you could make the same argument for "Adamantium Bones".
        • NorthernPolarity
          NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
          DayvBang wrote:

Thats whats so great about luke: closest thing to his red is spidey tiles, but that has a hidden cost of suboptimally matching purple to get it. Lukes tile(s) is completely free, and even regenerates when destroyed. A character that freely and passively negates match damage will be responsible for a ton of dmg saved over the course of a match, and as long as the other two abilities are serviceable, the passive alone is enough to make the character very strong defensively in pve and for his tournament when buffed. Youre gonna see everyone complaining when their match dmg is negated in his featured tourney, i guarantee it.
        • Btw I really wish they'd stop making every black the best active on any given character.
        • Dayv
          ark123 wrote:
          Btw I really wish they'd stop making every black the best active on any given character.
          Well, he didn't have a green skill...
        • ark123 wrote:
          Btw I really wish they'd stop making every black the best active on any given character.

They're trying to compensate for Bullseye ;P
          Where are you all getting this information from? There is no information about Luke Cage's abilities on these forums, save for the names. How do you know he makes a protect tile?

We have secret sources very close to us. You may be one of us......
        • Kolence
          Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
          Where are you all getting this information from? There is no information about Luke Cage's abilities on these forums, save for the names. How do you know he makes a protect tile?
          You should be able to see him as the reward for the upcoming PvE?
        • Well, we know he has 8500 hp.

I bet his yellow does something like 2k plus 1k per teammate. It may evolve to AoE damage at 3 or 5 covers.
          I bet his red gets to 2 protect tiles at 3 covers, 3 at 5, with a max power of maybe 100 or 150.
          I bet his black does 1k normally. 3k to 4k when the countdown is down.

Overall, not a bad character. But he falls under the same criteria of "strong, but I use black for surgical strike"
        • Seems like they play it super safe with this character. Looks playable but nothing exciting.

If you're going to compare stuff to Surgical Strike then every character that has a green or a black active power are all unplayable.