*** Black Panther (T'Challa) ***

Puritas
Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
edited January 2016 in Character Details
[anchor=blackpanther3]Black Panther (T'Challa)[/anchor] icon_blackpanther.png
3 Star Rarity (Rare) Discussion link. Wiki link.
At Max Level: HP: 8500 Tile damage: 79/13/70/12/11/61/3.5
    Battleplan - Yellow 9 yellowtile.png
    T'Challa uses his expert strategic mind to give his allies a tactical advantage. Converts 3 basic Yellow tiles to strength 22 Strike tiles. If the team has 12 or more Team-Up AP, converts 3 basic Yellow tiles to strength 33 Strike tiles instead.
      Level 2: Increases minimum Strike tile strength to 28. (39 with Team-Up AP) Level 3: Increases minimum Strike tile strength to 30. (44 with Team-Up AP) Level 4: Increases minimum Strike tile strength to 39. (55 with Team-Up AP) Level 5: Increases minimum Strike tile strength to 55. (83 with Team-Up AP)
    Max Level: Strength 175 Strike tiles, 250 with Team-Up AP
      Defense Grid - Blue 8 bluetile.png
      Places a Blue Countdown tile that converts a basic color tile to a strength 9 Protect tile every 2 turns. If 3 or more Protect tiles are in play, conversion is suspended.
        Level 2: Max 3 protect tiles out at a time Level 3: Increases Protect strength to 14. Level 4: Max 5 protect tiles out at a time Level 5: Increases Protect strength to 18.
      Max Level: Strength 140 protect tiles
        Rage of the Panther - Black 12 blacktile.png
        Deals 194 damage to each enemy, but the enemy team gains 5 AP in their strongest color. [Strongest color is the color that has highest damage rating during scoring. If there are more than one color of the same power damage, the enemy will gain 5 AP for that one as well.]
          Level 2: Deals 272 Damage. Level 3: Deals 349 damage. Level 4: Deals 427 damage. Level 5: Deals 504 damage.
        Max Level: 3708 damage

Older version below:
        [anchor=blackpanther3]Black Panther (Man Without Fear)[/anchor]
        3 Star Rarity (Rare) Discussion link. Wiki link.
        At Max Level: HP: 7250 Tile damage: 67/12/60/11/10/52
          Battleplan - Yellow 9 AP
          Converts one random basic Yellow tile into a strength 9 Strike tile for each 15 environment AP the team has, consuming the AP in the process. (min 1 tile)
          Level Upgrades
            Level 2: Increase strike tile strength to 13. Level 3: Increase strike tile strength to 16. Level 4: Increase strike tile strength to 20. Level 5: Increase strike tile strength to 23.
          Max Level: Strength 153 strike tiles
            Defense Grid - Blue 8AP
            Places a Blue Countdown tile that converts a basic color tile to a strength 9 Protect tile every 2 turns. If 3 or more Protect tiles are in play, conversion is suspended.
            Level Upgrades
              Level 2: Max 3 protect tiles out at a time Level 3: Increases Protect strength to 14. Level 4: Max 5 protect tiles out at a time Level 5: Increases Protect strength to 18.
            Max Level: Strength 118 protect tiles
              Rage of the Panther - Black 12 AP
              Deals 194 damage to each enemy, but the enemy team gains 5 AP in their strongest color. [Strongest color is the color that has highest damage rating during scoring. If there are more than one color of the same power damage, the enemy will gain 5 AP for that one as well.]
              Level Upgrades
                Level 2: Deals 272 Damage. Level 3: Deals 349 damage. Level 4: Deals 427 damage. Level 5: Deals 504 damage.
              Max Level: 3162 damage

Original Post:
              Puritas wrote:
              Since nobody seems excited about him, I'll start.
              rYDopWY.jpg
              <Snip stats>
              welp I'd been saving all my ISO to max Psylocke, but I guess i'm gonna max t'challa now
              Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• I'm curious as to how they define "strongest color."

Edit- Is it based on match 3 damage? Most damaging power?
              • Puritas
                My money's on match 3 damage.
              • Finally a character with Yellow/Black powers to go with my Patch/OBW. I'm guessing/hoping he will be a little tanky.
              • NorthernPolarity
                NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
                edited February 2014
                So a couple of things to consider here:

1. He has a yellow ability! While the base tile strength isn't that impressive (I'm guessing itll end up being about 25% more effective than Punisher's strike tiles at max level), the fact that it's yellow means that he fills a much needed role of a 3* that has a yellow ability that does something offensive-minded (Spidey doesn't help, so IM40 is your only other option, and his other 2 abilities are super mediocre).

2. Black is on track with scaling to do as much damage as GSBW's sniper rifle. This I think is the main draw for this character: 12 black to do as much AoE damage as GSBW (with drawback) is pretty huge.

3. His HP. That base HP means that he's on track to be more of the more tankier characters in the game, which means that he's going to be really good on defense.

I think this is a character that I can see investing in to pair up with my Punisher. Yellows are extremely rare, and when its semi-relevant and tacked onto a guy with a ton of hp and a sniper rifle level ability, he ends up being a lot better than he looks. I'm expecting him to be a high tier tanky support character,
              • So a couple of things to consider here:

1. He has a yellow ability! While the base tile strength isn't that impressive (I'm guessing itll end up being about 25% more effective than Punisher's strike tiles at max level), the fact that it's yellow means that he fills a much needed role of a 3* that has a yellow ability that does something offensive-minded (Spidey doesn't help, so IM40 is your only other option, and his other 2 abilities are super mediocre).

You're forgetting the Hood
              • His black looks really powerful for only 12 black. I wonder if the negative affect of it will become less or even more worse. GSBWs green ability increases by 1 each level, so I wonder how Black Panthers ability will work. Letting the enemy gain 5 AP in their strongest color won't do much if 2/3 of them are dead lol.
              • NorthernPolarity
                NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
                So a couple of things to consider here:

You're forgetting the Hood

Noted. Hood's costs too much for my liking though, so I don't really consider it as a solid yellow ability, but more as a bonus tacked onto his blue.
              • Black costs 12AP and the blue costs 8AP, according to my event currently

It is nice to finally see a black+yellow hero that isn't made of paper. He's actually pretty tanky, same health as IM40 and Doom to compare.

His black is definitely the selling point here. I'm guessing damage will increase once or twice more at top ranks which will put it in line with BWGS and IM40. He will fill the same role, except freeing up green in the former to pair it with patch's green to set up a pretty quick 5-6k AOE kill shot, and not worry about those recharge tiles. Add in doom to guarantee 12 black quickly, I like this a lot actually!
              • I assume the blue is same as psylockes blue, the color they have most ap in. So it could be good when combined with psylocke or if enemy has dead color, no real drawback then. Also his yellow might be really good if you are forced to collect lot of enviromental tiles. Yellow could be good with uh... DD purple.. err maybe not. Blue seems like weakest color but thats just because people dont value protect tiles very highly.
              • eidehua
                eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
                Seems like he can cover for Hood, yellow> blue> black tile strengths like hood (matches hoods tile strengths for these 3 at least at level 15)
                Yeah their abilities clash, but Hood's black will probably not be used. Yellow may be an issue though.
              • eidehua wrote:
                Seems like he can cover for Hood, yellow> blue> black tile strengths like hood (matches hoods tile strengths for these 3 at least at level 15)
                Yeah their abilities clash, but Hood's black will probably not be used. Yellow may be an issue though.

Hoods black can reduce Panthers Blue for 1 turn. Thats why ive skilled my hood 3/5/5. I think we will get more chars with countdown-tiles. Panthers blue looks great too.
              • Spidey/patch/panther looks pretty good in my head. Pretty annoying defensive team between passive purple and having stun/def tiles as an option. Defense tiles look to be on par with some skillss that should put them at about 200 def points at max lvl. Combined with passive purples I don't see ppl touching you with match damage. In the patches team they would really help mitigate self damage from the green. Yellow strike tiles a nice tack on for when you want offense over def. The black of course being a nice match ender in a color that often gets neglected. Green and red already are solid on patch and he should get to control 2-3 colors depending on lvls.

Maybe not the go to for the fastest kill, but a solid "don't attack me" version of patches . If spidey isn't that great anymore then I believe panther could make a decent substitute for spidey's spot on a lot of teams. Sure, won't be stunning, but yellow blue are being covered with the blue still ha ing a defensive purpose.

I am intrigued by the character at the very least. Though I expect the skill progression to be rather boring for all his skills.

@svatlas. You sure you didn't skill him 3/5/5 because you were having a hard time grabbing more yellow? Lol. His yellow is basically not useable right now unless it is skill 5. On the flip side, the black is not very good. More importantly, higher lvls only increase how many tiles you are affecting. That means above lvl 1/2 and the ability is useless with black panther as his blue has a limit to how many def tiles can be made. Plus, no idea what you would use hood's black over panther's. Like comparing a firecracker to a mortar.
              • @svatlas. You sure you didn't skill him 3/5/5 because you were having a hard time grabbing more yellow? Lol. His yellow is basically not useable right now unless it is skill 5. On the flip side, the black is not very good. More importantly, higher lvls only increase how many tiles you are affecting. That means above lvl 1/2 and the ability is useless with black panther as his blue has a limit to how many def tiles can be made. Plus, no idea what you would use hood's black over panther's. Like comparing a firecracker to a mortar.

Yellow covers are not the problem icon_e_wink.gif Last 2 LR rounds ive won it. I think forward and black panther is the next step to countdowntiles. its not the best choice at the moment, but iam sure it is the best in future. If you have many chars with cd-tiles, hoods black 5 reduce all for 1 step and this is cool and can save your life icon_e_smile.gif Every turn is important. If you pair him with Im40/punsiher for example there are a lot of cd-tiles on the board. With BP blue lvl5 it is important to have more blue cd tiles on the board. Maybe you can set 5-6 or more on the board. he is a def monster.
              • Svatlas wrote:
                @svatlas. You sure you didn't skill him 3/5/5 because you were having a hard time grabbing more yellow? Lol. His yellow is basically not useable right now unless it is skill 5. On the flip side, the black is not very good. More importantly, higher lvls only increase how many tiles you are affecting. That means above lvl 1/2 and the ability is useless with black panther as his blue has a limit to how many def tiles can be made. Plus, no idea what you would use hood's black over panther's. Like comparing a firecracker to a mortar.

Yellow covers are not the problem icon_e_wink.gif Last 2 LR rounds ive won it. I think forward and black panther is the next step to countdowntiles. its not the best choice at the moment, but iam sure it is the best in future. If you have many chars with cd-tiles, hoods black 5 reduce all for 1 step and this is cool and can save your life icon_e_smile.gif Every turn is important. If you pair him with Im40/punsiher for example there are a lot of cd-tiles on the board. With BP blue lvl5 it is important to have more blue cd tiles on the board. Maybe you can set 5-6 or more on the board. he is a def monster.

I don't mind the idea of comboing him with hood, I just don't see a whole lot of situations where having the black affect more than 3 is better than his yellow not ending a turn. I mean, how many times have you had more than 3 tiles down and the game wasn't already in hand? Plus, defensively, hood you KNOW will be an idiot and lose a turn using his yellow, and certainly not wait for you to have 5-6 cd on the board before using his black. In the future they might change his black and yellow to be more fair (remove turn ending from the yellow skill and mmr the black better) but until then anything but 5/5/3 just doesn't have much of a purpose and certainly brings more negatives than positives to the table. Plus, if you do need to change the build later, its easier go change it from 5/5/3 to 3/5/5 than the reverse.

I haven't tried in a lr in a month+ at this point. I don't miss it in the slightest lol. Plus I usually don't tank, so that doesn't help either lol. Whenever I do tank I remember how big a difference it makes.
              • listen to me:) it isnt the best choice at the moment but the time comes....and you see black panther is the next hero with cd tiles and he will not be the last one. damage is not all...
              • Svatlas wrote:
                listen to me:) it isnt the best choice at the moment but the time comes....and you see black panther is the next hero with cd tiles and it will not be the last one.

Lol. You can do as you wish of course, I just don't see it. I just don't see the point in holding a notably weaker version of a character without even a slight guarantee that he will be "balanced" or a relevant cd tile character will come. I mean, if in 3 months this becomes the best build for hood...please feel free to come back, quote me here, and rub it in my face that I have to complete a top 25 in two hood lr. You..you go be a trailblazer. Don't let me and my narrow mind on this stop you icon_mrgreen.gif Maybe one day they will make a character that drops 10 cd tiles that do damage based on how many are remaining and you will look superfly. We shall see.

I need a "waiting to strike" meme with a panther (or a cute little black cat on top of a door works) waiting to pounce for you. "Oh...it will come"
              • Svatlas wrote:
                listen to me:) it isnt the best choice at the moment but the time comes....and you see black panther is the next hero with cd tiles and it will not be the last one.

Lol. You can do as you wish of course, I just don't see it. I just don't see the point in holding a notably weaker version of a character without even a slight guarantee that he will be "balanced" or a relevant cd tile character will come. I mean, if in 3 months this becomes the best build for hood...please feel free to come back, quote me here, and rub it in my face that I have to complete a top 25 in two hood lr. You..you go be a trailblazer. Don't let me and my narrow mind on this stop you icon_mrgreen.gif Maybe one day they will make a character that drops 10 cd tiles that do damage based on how many are remaining and you will look superfly. We shall see.

I need a "waiting to strike" meme with a panther (or a cute little black cat on top of a door works) waiting to pounce for you. "Oh...it will come"

The hood is not really weaker with 3 yellows. if you use it at the right moment "end of turn" doesnt matter icon_e_smile.gif and the 2 ap doesnt matter too. His yellow skill is a bonus for me, nothing more, because iam running spidey/hood + punisher/hulk/dd/mag. After the nerf (Spidey) i will replace him maybe with black panther. We are see, every player has another play style icon_e_smile.gif Sry my english is not the best^^
              • Ok you guys have made me change my mind. I thought he was meh but some great points have been brought up. Now I guess I will have to try to score some BP covers.

Btw, am I the only one who looked at his character art and thought, great IW had a child, seeing how they have him contorted.
              • Svatlas wrote:
                Svatlas wrote:

The hood is not really weaker with 3 yellows. if you use it at the right moment "end of turn" doesnt matter icon_e_smile.gif and the 2 ap doesnt matter too. His yellow skill is a bonus for me, nothing more, because iam running spidey/hood + punisher/hulk/dd/mag. After the nerf (Spidey) i will replace him maybe with black panther. We are see, every player has another play style icon_e_smile.gif Sry my english is not the best^^

Ending the turn can be a huge deal. What if my attack cover is 4 ap away from a skill while hoods yellow is full during a crucial point in the match. Happens a lot.
              • Puritas
                With respecs coming next patch it seems somewhat silly to hold on to a build that's hoping for future releases to make it viable