Top ten PVE 3*

Options
torontoraptors
torontoraptors Posts: 61
edited July 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hello all, would anyone be kind enough to list the top ten 3* strictly for PVE? I'm transitioning into 3* realm and would like to focus on the best.

Only 110+ 3* I have right now are Fist, Torch and Daken.

Comments

• Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    in no specific order

steve rogers
    cyclops
    iron fist
    kamala kahn
    blade
    scarlet witch
    wolverine
    luke cage
    loki
    magneto

on the bubble:
    hood
    thor
    black panther
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    in no specific order

steve rogers
    cyclops
    iron fist
    kamala kahn
    blade
    scarlet witch
    wolverine
    luke cage
    loki
    magneto

on the bubble:
    hood
    thor
    black panther

Your list doesn't include im40, it's invalid. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    you right, you right. shame on me.

IM40 is automatic top 10.

i would slot him in for loki and not think twice about that.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would take Grey Suit Black Widow over Blade. Am I a crazy person?
  • padei_panda
    padei_panda Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    Since you have Fist, I would focus on Cage + Switch as the 3 are great together.
    i.e. Switch generates purple for Fist, who can then generate black for Cage or save it so Fist can do high burst damage for 5 purple AP.
    I use this team a lot as it is quite quick to get the ball rolling, delivers good match damage (with purple and black 5 matches) plus IF attack tile, followed by IF and Cage damage abilities and stun.

Steve, IM40 + KK - much like the above and delivers good damage. Get IM40 6 yellow AP and you are ready to go. I use this for 2 reasons: 1) save on health packs; and 2) for enemies with large amounts of health points (as Steve's shields cost little AP to sustain once you get the ball rolling). The only downside is that Steve's CD makes this fight slow(er).

You also consider a some-what winfinite with Wolverine (Patch) + Loki + Magneto. Trigger Patch's Green then have Loki's Black steal back the tiles and every match is 800+ damage and you take 1 damage. Use Loki's purple and Mags' red as a board shake.
    Very quick and high damage output. (With boosts, I use this for Simulator and a win can be make in a few minutes, even against certain 4* / 5* teams)
    Drawbacks: 1) Not advised against Hulk and Rhulk (and others) due to their anger ability, 2) Low health characters (leads to more health pack usage), 3) board shake not reliable.

I got Cyclops quite late so I have not had much play time with him but he does very high damage with his abilities so definitely worth keeping around.

That sums up my top 10 chars in 3* land, and to be honest, though I am probably 70% through my 4* transition, I still use my 3* 95% of the time. I have just been use to and comfortable using them that I have not switched away.

Note: Had Vision's bug not been fixed, Vision + IM40 + KK was a monster team... I enjoyed playing a few weeks of this.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would add Rocket&Groot and Daken as well. Just for the purposes of survivability. They can take multiple punches and keep going. Saves alot on health packs.

The only thing with Daken is that he is locked out on numerous events because there is a never ending battle against the Dark Avengers. One day we will win.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steve Rodgers + IM40 is a great PvE team. 6 yellow is all it takes to get both shields rolling, and against an all goon team that's pretty devistating. Throw in Fist for rainbow coverage and his good attack tile.

But Steve has to be 3/5/5 for his shields to be effective in PvE. Otherwise he can't target countdown tiles and that makes things much harder.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    HaywireII wrote:

Maybe, but only a little. She is pretty powerful but as slow as she is you know that you are going to have to take a bit of a beating before she gets ready to fire. Her other problem is that Kamala does a lot of what she does better faster and heals you at the same time too. It isn't that she's bad, she just isn't the first choice for what she does. Kinda like Beast vs Grocket. They are similar, some like Beast, I like my boys Rocket and Groot. Blade is fast and lethal as farting on a man's balls with the right board.

Redrobot30 wrote:
    I would add Rocket&Groot and Daken as well. Just for the purposes of survivability. They can take multiple punches and keep going. Saves alot on health packs.

The only thing with Daken is that he is locked out on numerous events because there is a never ending battle against the Dark Avengers. One day we will win.

Only the dead know the end of the Dark Avengers. icon_neutral.gif
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steve Rogers
    IM40
    Iron Fist

One of the best rainbow teams. I eventually hope to switch out IF for Jean Grey.

I'd also say Deadpool. Pair him with Switch and some that has a higher purple than both, you can whale.just about the entire game.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    3*s tend to work well in combination, so keep that in mind.

In no particular order:

Super steve
    IM40
    KK
    Loki
    Patch
    SWitch
    Hood
    Daken
    Falcon
    Magneto

There are plenty of other combos in 3* land, but these are the ones I found to have very useful PvE utilities.

P.S. Bugged Vision does not count icon_e_wink.gif
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Steve Rogers
    Kamala Khan
    IM40
    Iron Fist
    Magneto (or MoStorm)
    Scarlet Witch
    Grey Suit Black Widow
    Thor
    Luke Cage
    Cyclops

--

Strictly speaking PVE, those ten (eleven) characters will get you through any event.

I think that Switch, IM40, KK, and Steve Rogers are essential for an easier PVE experience, the rest are should-haves.

Particular combos that I use all the time:
    IM40/KK/Steve Rogers - the wave/hardest node champ team, get Steve going to stun/takedown the tough guys as well as his shields replacing c/d timers, KK with her aoe and healing, and IM40 keeping everyone fueled
    Switch/GSBW/Thor - The Big Green Killing Machine, with Thor using red to build yellow to build green, you can use the green to destroy the board with GSBW or selective heavy damage with Thor's aoe
    Switch/GSBW/IM40 - Use GSBW fueled by Switch and IM40 to do a lot of damage with her purple and green, then finish them off with IM's blue and red when he unstuns
    IF/LC/Switch - already mentioned above
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HaywireII wrote:

Not crazy. Gsbw is probably the second best board control character after lazy cap. All three of her powers have targeted tile destruction. She is slow, but add someone to generate purple (switch!) and she becomes much easier to use.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Or use Collossus to fastball special her.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:

Not crazy. Gsbw is probably the second best board control character after lazy cap. All three of her powers have targeted tile destruction. She is slow, but add someone to generate purple (switch!) and she becomes much easier to use.

Indeed, and if you complete the team with Hood, those triple goon nodes become super easy. You have:
    Switch blueflag.png for purpletile.png generation
    Hood blackflag.png to help with Switch blueflag.png
    Hood blueflag.png for AP generation
    GSBW purpleflag.png for greentile.png generation and targeted tile removal (TTR)
    GSBW redflag.png for TTR
    Switch greenflag.png as a desperation move to remove CDs
    GSBW greenflag.png as a nuke and TTR
    Hood yellowflag.png for high single-target damage and TTR
    Switch purpleflag.png as a second AOE in case you are too lazy to use GSBW or you just wanna stun the last goon.

Basically all the powers are useful against goons (but you usually don't use Switch's active powers).
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You also consider a some-what winfinite with Wolverine (Patch) + Loki + Magneto. Trigger Patch's Green then have Loki's Black steal back the tiles and every match is 800+ damage and you take 1 damage. Use Loki's purple and Mags' red as a board shake.
    Very quick and high damage output. (With boosts, I use this for Simulator and a win can be make in a few minutes, even against certain 4* / 5* teams)
    Drawbacks: 1) Not advised against Hulk and Rhulk (and others) due to their anger ability, 2) Low health characters (leads to more health pack usage), 3) board shake not reliable.
    Replace Patch with Mohawk Storm and you actually get one of the most powerful 3* teams as it is very, very close to a true winfinite. After Mag's Red Storm's Green and Loki's Purple do crazy things. I've used this on some of the most difficult nodes even though I have a highly covered OML and a couple of four-stars champed.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Falcon - He'll make goon nodes an order of magnitude easier, and for multiple wave nodes he can boost your strike/attack/defence tiles to make later waves trivial.

IM40 - Makes almost anyone better

Hood - AP denial/ generation for when you are overmatched, and his yellow can remove a multitude of sins.

Patch + Loki. One isn't good enough to make the list without the other, but combined they can severely reduce your health pack usage.

Cyclops - Good damage, good self acceleration, great black user.

Iron Fist - Massive black generator, and even if you can't use the black directly he'll start generating 4k damage for 5 purple. And that strike tile...

Kamala Khan - Team healer that will save health packs, green generator.

Scarlet Witch - Guaranteed source of purple to fuel AP generators.

Luke Cage - Not my favourite for most uses, but against ninjas, his defense tile can be massive,

For my last slot GSBW, Magneto and Lazy Cap were in the mix but...

Thor. He's not necessarily as good as any of the above by himself, but he has some nice synergies.

Teams to play.

Thor-IM40-KK. Red generates Yellow, Yellow generates Red, Green and Purple, purple generates green. Green generates death. And KK heals the team for most of those.

Falcon-Cage-Iron Fist. For wave nodes, Falcon will deal with countdown tiles, Cage will deal with shiruken/caltrops and match damage if appropriate and Iron Fists escalating attack tile will mow through opponents. Plus he can feed Cage's black ability and generate strike tiles that falcon can power up too.

Cyclops-Iron Fist-Scarlet Witch. Guaranteed Purple to Black cycle. Cyclops also fuels his own red damage ability and you have Iron Fist's Strike tile getting things done.

Patch-Loki-X. As long as Patch tanks you can outlast anything. Add in Berserk Rage/Trickery combo and you're set. And if you can't find a match Loki has that purple board shuffle. Add Hood for control, IM40 for faster play or Iron Fist for extra damage off the berserk tiles with his strike.

Patch-KK-X. A different kind of fun. The trick is to use KK's purple to overwrite all purple tieles on the board before firing Patch's Berserker Rage. X can be anyone you like really, IM40 can be a good one to feed the cycle. Cyclops can bring the damade. Or Hood can just gum up the works. Or Scarlet Witch can add to the cycle but makes you very colour specific.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,112 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A build I use with a lot of success but don't see all that frequently, is Kamala Khan (5/5/3), Iron Man 40 (3/5/5) and She Hulk (either 4/5/4 or 3/5/5, depending on how many enemy special tiles appear). Recharge and KK each give you a bunch of green, which She Hulk can use on Furious Charge to drain a lot of the enemy colors. Because greens almost always go towards She Hulk, Ballistic Salvo takes the place of Embiggened Bash for team nuking. Just be sure you fire off Recharge before you use it, since it drains some yellow. She Hulk's Red is another team nuke with some tile destruction, including some that aren't in the bottom row if you're lucky enough. Her abilities are pretty cheap, so KK's healing happens pretty much when you need it.

Another good wave team is KK, Cyclops (3/5/5), and Steve Rogers. Use the red generation for Steve's Red, rather than Cyclops. That's my usual team for The Big Enchilada.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    first 2 pve characters have to be cap and falcon. then, all the ap accelerators like witch, im40, fist, hood and to a lesser extent, maybe loki. then ones with a very good passive like kk and blade. healers like grocket and daken have value. minus loki, that is 10 solid characters. add to that 10 solid damage dealers like cyke, cage, cmags, etc. and you have a solid group. it is more than 10, but I'd say the top 13 are:

cap
    falcon
    im40
    fist
    hood
    kk
    blade
    grocket
    daken
    cyke
    cage
    cmags

then panther and gsbw are right behind them. I also like torch and gamora in certain situations. now I've basically listed everyone I initially maxed other than hulk. so, other than cap and falcon, the best characters are the best characters.
  • torontoraptors
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, today I got Cyclops's red in big enchilada and I think I'll focus on fist, Cyclops and Switch combo. I like cages red but don't have his yellow yet.
    And I didn't know Cap was that good, I have all colors so I'll give him a try too.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd only work on cap if you have im40 well covered. Cap takes too long to get his red going without the assistance of im40's yellow.