*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2015 in Character Details
[anchor=magneto3]Magneto (Classic)[/anchor] icon_magneto.png
3 Star Rarity (Rare) Discussion link. Wiki link.
At Max Level: HP: 8670 Tile damage: 61/70/79/11/12/13/3.2
    Coercive Field - Yellow 9 yellowtile.png
    The air crackles as Magneto creates a force field of magnetic energy to protect his allies. Converts 6 random basic color tiles into strength 11 Protect tiles.
      Level 2: Can convert enemy Protect, Strike and Attack tiles. Level 3: Converts 8 tiles. Level 4: Converts 9 tiles. Level 5: Creates strength 17 Protect tiles and can now also convert enemy Countdown tiles.
    Max Level: Creates 9 Strength 53 Protect tiles
      Polarizing Force - Red 8 redtile.png
      Magneto hurls a massive metal object towards the heart of the enemy team, landing with tremendous force and causing them to scatter. Destroys all Team-Up tiles, dealing 27 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
        Level 2: Deals 43 damage per tile. Level 3: Deals 49 damage per tile. Level 4: Deals 59 damage per tile. Level 5: Deals 81 damage per tile.
      Max Level: 261 damage per tile
        Magnetized Projectiles - Blue 10 bluetile.png
        Magneto turns metallic objects into deadly projectiles, causing devastation and chaos. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 93 damage for each swap.
          Level 2: Does 126 damage for each swap. Level 3: Swaps up to 6 tiles. Level 4: Does 169 damage for each swap. Level 5: Swaps up to 7 random tiles and does 224 damage for each swap.
        Max Level: 713 damage per swap. Max damage of 4991.

(older version below)
        (stat block added by moderator Nonce Equitaur)

[anchor=magneto3]Magneto (Classic)[/anchor]
        3 Star Rarity (Rare) Wiki link.
        At Max Level: HP: 5800 Tile damage: 52/60/67/10/11/12
          Magnetic Field - Blue 9 AP
          Magneto summons an electromagnetic shield, turning 2 chosen tiles into Blue Protect tiles, each with a strength of 9.
          Level Upgrades
            Level 2: Costs 1 AP less. Level 3: Costs 1 AP less. Level 4: Costs 1 AP less. Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
          Max Level: Damage reduced by 59 per Protect tile
            Magnetized Projectile - Red 6 AP
            Magneto propels magnetized projectiles at his enemies destroying 5 random tiles and dealing an extra 21 damage.
            Level Upgrades
              Level 2: Costs 1 AP less. Level 3: Costs 1 AP less. Level 4: Costs 1 AP less. Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
            Max Level: 133 extra damage
              Magnetic Translocation - Purple 10 AP
              Exploiting metals buried in the earth, Magneto lifts and moves huge sections of the battlefield, dropping them violently. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 38 damage for each swap.
              Level Upgrades
                Level 2: Swaps up to 6 tiles. Level 3: Swaps up to 7 tiles. Max damage 457 per swap. Level 4: Swaps up to 9 tiles. Max damage 546 per swap. Level 5: Swaps up to 13 tiles. Max damage 636 per swap.

(original post follows)

Magneto (Classic)
              3 Star Rarity (Rare)
              Magnetic Field - Blue 9 AP
              Magneto summons an electromagnetic shield, turning 2 chosen tiles into Blue Protect tiles, each with a strength of 9.
              Level Upgrades
              Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
              Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
              Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
              Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
              Magnetized Projectile - Red 6 AP
              Magneto propels magnetized projectiles at his enemies destroying 5 random tiles and dealing an extra 21 damage.
              Level Upgrades
              Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
              Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
              Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
              Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
              Magnetic Translocation - Purple 10 AP
              Exploiting metals buried in the earth, Magneto lifts and moves huge sections of the battlefield, dropping them violently. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 38 damage for each swap.
              Level Upgrades
              Level 2: Swaps up to 6 tiles.
              Level 3: Swaps up to 7 tiles.
              Level 4: Swaps up to 9 tiles.
              Level 5: Swaps up to 13 tiles.
              Original post:

I noticed 3* Magneto has large tile damage for red/blue/yellow, yet his three powers are red/blue/purple. Shouldn't he have elevated purple tile damage instead of yellow?
              Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Not all characters have colours with high damage matching colours of their skills. Black Widow (Gray Suit) would be another example.
              • Unknown
                edited August 2015
                Just got the purple skill and I was disappointed mostly because it was not what I was expecting. When the description said
                Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles.
                , I kind of expected that it would replace random blue tiles on the board with red ones. Instead, it actually changes locations of blue and red tiles similar to Moonstone's Gravity Warp ability. Just wanted to give people a heads up in case they decide to try to get the Magnetic Translocation skill.

I'm also confused as to how the swaps occur. I've been playing around with the skill but I still got some questions as to how it works. For example, at level 5, do I need 13 blue tiles and 13 red tiles to obtain max damage? If a red or blue tile is swapped, can it be swapped again?
              • Dormammu
                Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
                I use a Classic Magneto, mostly because he fit into my team as a nice third to complete my rainbow. (I didn't have any use for blue and purple and both Magneto covers fit the bill; I tried both and eventually decided on Classic over Marvel Now.)

His purple swap power will swap 'up to' X-amount of tiles. That 'up to' is whatever is the fewest on the board between red and blue. So for example, if there are 8 red tiles and 9 blue tiles, you'll get 8 swaps (I think - it happens pretty fast in the game, but you can calculate by how much damage is done). It does a considerable amount of damage at higher levels and occasionally triggers a cascade (not as ofen as I'd like).

I'm building towards 4/5/4. I want to max his red so it only costs 2AP (making it extremely spamable) and I want to get his blue defense-tile power to at least level 4, so it only costs 6AP (two matches). That blue defense tile power is cool too, because you get to choose where they go - this is important if you play with a guy like Ragnarok who tends to make a mess of the middle of the board, but not the sides.
              • well, on thor tournament, i got owned by high level MAG classic. use his purple skill and BAM!! 2800 damage!! my C.storm died instantly. triggering board chaos. matches 2 critical tiles, halv my thor health. and next turn. my team is crippled. sayonara my minions. 2 times. the AI is so good with Mag Classic. too bad i only got Mag MNARVNOW with 2 cover only
              • This is probably the rarest character right now. I don't ever see anyone using him and I cycle through 100's of opponents every day.
              • I don't have any covers for him yet, and I have at least one cover for all the others.
              • Toxicadam wrote:
                This is probably the rarest character right now. I don't ever see anyone using him and I cycle through 100's of opponents every day.

I have 2 covers for him but it's not enough to use him in tournaments.

I don't have any covers for Dr. Doom at all and only 1 for Grey Widow.

I don't think it's immediately obvious where his power lies since he doesn't simply lay down big hits like Thor or something so people might not invest in him much
              • @Dormammu , thanks for the clarification. I'm personally going for a 5/3/5 build since I find the red lackluster in damage and there are better red powers. I was debating whether wanted to use the Classic or Marvel Now! version but I decided to use Classic since I can select any tile to swap with the blue skill. Which meant that environment tiles were no longer in my way and I can remove any timer tile simply by swapping it out. Plus, matching enough blue tiles, I can continue spamming his power multiple times in the same turn which is pretty sweet.

@adamLmpq , I definitely do agree that he may not have the strongest hitting powers which is why I mainly use him for support. However, I since I just got his purple power I underestimated how much damage it did. At level 56, it does 134 damage per swap for a max of 5 swaps. Which isn't an extraordinarily large amount of damage but still pretty decent.
              • Insane wrote:
                Just got the purple skill and I was disappointed mostly because it was not what I was expecting. When the description said
                Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles.
                , I kind of expected that it would replace random blue tiles on the board with red ones. Instead, it actually changes locations of blue and red tiles similar to Moonstone's Gravity Warp ability. Just wanted to give people a heads up in case they decide to try to get the Magnetic Translocation skill.

Yuck. Really? That's terrible. I was really hoping it would just generate red by changing blue tiles but I thought the wording was a little fishy. So much for him.

The 2AP level 5 red spamming ala Ragnarok is of course a good skill, probably his best, and the 5AP level 5 blue skill is decent utility to set up criticals and clear the board out. The fact that it costs so much blue itself is a bit counter-productive, but the idea presumably is that you use it once or twice to create match-3s with blue and you already have enough to use it again. Sounds like a big drain on blue and would preclude the use of Iron Man Model 40 and maybe even Spidey, though.

That purple just sounds completely worthless. What a disappointment. Back to the ranks of Moonstone and Loki.

I don't see any point to building anything other than 5/5/3 on this character, and considering how squishy he is, I'm not sure I'd even bother running him in the current game. Ragnarok is just as spammy, arguably has as much utility generating green for your Storms and your Grey Widows, and he's way tankier.
              • I personally though the red power is **** since it at level 56 it only does 60 damage plus what ever tile is destroyed. Plus you don't even generate any AP unless the destroyed tiles creates matches. But I suppose if it did generate red tiles from blue tiles, it might be a little OP but with some number tweaking I don't think it would that bad and might actually make the power useful and create some diversity.

And for comparison, level 15 Ragnarok's Thunderclap does 118 damage and changes 5 tiles to green and my level 56 Magneto's Mangetized Projectile does 60 damage and destorys 5 tiles. Both cost 6 red AP at level 1 and both can be reduced to costing 2 red AP and maxed power level.

I will probably just try to get the red power for Ragnarok and see if I get anymore covers for Magneto or Spider-man (already have each cover) and decide which from there which one I'm going to focus leveling up.
              • I use a 4/1/0 Magneto and the blue power is amazing. At the moment it costs me 6 AP to turn any matchable set of 3 blue (plus some other non matchable combinations of 3) into a 5 tile match that returns 5 AP, does decent damage, creates a crit tile and often generates other AP from the resulting cascade. This means that effectively it only uses 1 AP. Can't wait for when it's level 5 and uses 0 AP! At level 5 it could actually generate more blue than it uses if you add a tile to two sets of 2 or if you're able to match more than 5 tiles which actually happens pretty often.

If you have enough AP to deploy the skill twice then you can create a 3-4 tile set anywhere to help match a different color through a cascade to get that last bit of AP to deploy other's skill. I get very creative at that take out Thor this turn or lose stage.

My guess is that the red skill will be good for loosening up the board to help with the crit blue matching. Same thing for purple although at a higher cost.
              • AdamMagus
                AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
                I run a 1/5/3 Magneto (Classic), right now he's level 75, his damage is decent, I especially love his Magnetized Projectile (red ability), like Dormammu mentioned above this ability is very spammable and I find that the cascades tend to get me lots of AP, plus I team him up with Daken and that Magnetized Projectile spam with 6+ strike tiles do a good chunk of damage icon_e_biggrin.gif

The Magnetized Projectile is also great for stalling when you know that matching tiles and allowing the AI to get its turn means taking big damage if say Thor has 6 AP, I spam it so much that by the time am done using it I may have enough purple AP to unload Magnetic Translocation, at level 3 my Magnetic Translocation does ~1600-1800 and even more with Daken's strike tiles littering the field

As for the blue ability(Magnetic Field), its great, you get to overwrite any tile with your blue tiles, but its best to line them up to get a
                , T or L formation and guarantee a crit tile while getting refunded 5 of the AP you just used.

I find my Magneto Classic to be extremely fun, for now am leveling up a Bullseye to team him up with Magneto Classic and Daken, not sure how well Bullseye will work but am sure it'll be decent for defense cause people hate waiting through all that purple and green matches spam icon_e_biggrin.gif

I do wish I ran into another higher level Magneto Classic so I could play against it, am curious how the AI is using my Magneto Classic, if I played against it I could get a feel for what the AI does with him and I could do better in setting up my defense team that works with the AI's performance
              • I'd love to be that someone with another high level classic magneto, but there's just no reliable way to get those covers and I can't bring myself to spend too much more real money on this game right now.
              • AdamMagus wrote:
                I run a 1/5/3 Magneto (Classic), right now he's level 75, his damage is decent, I especially love his Magnetized Projectile (red ability), like Dormammu mentioned above this ability is very spammable and I find that the cascades tend to get me lots of AP, plus I team him up with Daken and that Magnetized Projectile spam with 6+ strike tiles do a good chunk of damage icon_e_biggrin.gif

The Magnetized Projectile is also great for stalling when you know that matching tiles and allowing the AI to get its turn means taking big damage if say Thor has 6 AP, I spam it so much that by the time am done using it I may have enough purple AP to unload Magnetic Translocation, at level 3 my Magnetic Translocation does ~1600-1800 and even more with Daken's strike tiles littering the field

As for the blue ability(Magnetic Field), its great, you get to overwrite any tile with your blue tiles, but its best to line them up to get a
                , T or L formation and guarantee a crit tile while getting refunded 5 of the AP you just used.

I find my Magneto Classic to be extremely fun, for now am leveling up a Bullseye to team him up with Magneto Classic and Daken, not sure how well Bullseye will work but am sure it'll be decent for defense cause people hate waiting through all that purple and green matches spam icon_e_biggrin.gif

I do wish I ran into another higher level Magneto Classic so I could play against it, am curious how the AI is using my Magneto Classic, if I played against it I could get a feel for what the AI does with him and I could do better in setting up my defense team that works with the AI's performance

This is good feedback, man. Appreciate it. For the record, I have found a couple Classic Magnus teams that had all 3 colors but never got to see them in action because I would usually kill Mags so quickly... icon_e_confused.gif
              • Seconded, I value this kind of feedback, because he is a seemingly underutilised character. Pains me a little that I don't use him more, as Magneto is my favourite Marvel character! Will be leveling him up soon, hope to use him more out of curiosity.
              • When I first started playing I got one of these covers and really wanted to use it, but after seeing some mid/high level magnetos and the damage the red does, there's just no reason why you would choose him over Ragnarok.

I think 5/5/3 is the best build for him. His red has a lot of potential but it does so little damage that generally it's not worth it.

The only person I regularly see with a high level Magneto is Magnerdo (surprise!).
              • Got Mag up to 87 now, and its true, even for 2ap the red skill is sadly pathetic icon_e_sad.gif

I have built it 3blue/5red/5purple. The purple skill is incredibly powerful and at 10cost not too expensive, doing about 420ish per swap at the moment. Blue is decent but only ever 2 tiles, and I admit to not being a huge fan of defensive tiles, I tend to use the blue AP for 3star spidey to mitigate damage instead by stunning people.

The red skill can be made to do a good 4-500 damage per use with strike tiles from daken/wolv, so its not a dead loss. It is also very useful for breaking up the board when there are few options and getting some random cascades.

Overall I think mag is pretty balanced compared to some things (cough Ragnarok cough), and generally a bit of fun to use.
              • I still havent played Magneto it is on lvl 25 (not enough ISO to level). It is 3/0/3 , and in last lightning round I got purple and blue covers, if I upgrade it i would be 4/0/4 But as I see from this topic best build is 3/5/5. Since I can not test red, and if I upgrade blue, I will probably finish with 5/3/5, so I need good advice.
                What do you think about 5/3/5 build? Or should I sell purple?

Thanks
              • I think most people will tell you NOT to sell that purple. It's easily his most powerful attack.

I'm working towards 4/5/4 myself. I think that 5th point in the purple power isn't going to see as much use due to the fact that it's uncommon for there to be more than 9 red AND 9 blue on the board at any given time. And even though the red ability doesn't do a lot of damage on its own, at 2AP you can trigger it to your heart's content and cause plenty of cascades with it.

The Blue ability is super versatile.
                Need some defense? No problem.
                Need to get rid of an enemy strike/protect/countdown tile? No problem.
                Need to create a critical tile for some bonus damage? No problem!
              • Thanks adamLmpq
                I got 1 more purple from diabolical, so I upgraded Magneto to 3/0/5
                Still not sure what to do with additional blue cover I have, 6 more days to think about it.
                But I guess I will sell it last day, and wait red covers for for 3/5/5.