Upcoming Crash: Star Lord vs. Gamora

Options

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    cletus1985 wrote:
    Last time around my SL was 5/0/1 and I pulled it off. Now he's 5/2/5 so it should be much easier. The key to this match is really his purple, it packs a pretty good punch and it's placeable. Red is a shot in the dark since it's random placement, but since you have to deny red anyways it can come in very useful. Is this the only Clash where the opponents don't share 2 colors?
    Professor X and Carnage share no colors. Jean Grey and Moonstone only share purple. I don't know if Galactus can be said to have any strong colors that he shares with Ghost Rider.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pabasa130 wrote:
    About your first time, I'm in a similar situation currently (SL 5/1/0, and had 2 other effing purple covers drop randomly as well over the past year). Can you elaborate how you did it? Levelled up fully? Etc?
    I did it last time with a 5/0/0 SL. I leveled up as high as I could, boosted purple, and tried to get out and protect my countdown tiles while denying her colors. I lost a few times when lucky cascades took my SoH tiles, so I knew if I could just get a couple of them through I'd win. Took under 6 tries.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    pabasa130 wrote:
    About your first time, I'm in a similar situation currently (SL 5/1/0, and had 2 other effing purple covers drop randomly as well over the past year). Can you elaborate how you did it? Levelled up fully? Etc?
    I did it last time with a 5/0/0 SL. I leveled up as high as I could, boosted purple, and tried to get out and protect my countdown tiles while denying her colors. I lost a few times when lucky cascades took my SoH tiles, so I knew if I could just get a couple of them through I'd win. Took under 6 tries.

What level were you when you ended up winning? I have a level 110 4/1/2 Starlord, and I'm iso starved so I can't take him much past that, maybe 120 at best.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Akari wrote:
    What level were you when you ended up winning? I have a level 110 4/1/2 Starlord, and I'm iso starved so I can't take him much past that, maybe 120 at best.
    I took him to max, which was... *checks gamependium* level 147.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I did last time with a level 124 5/5/3 Starlord.

With all of these clashes, the key to winning underleveled is being hyper vigilant with denial. Not only making sure she doesn't get black/red, but not even taking a 1/7 chance of her having a match available from what falls from the ceiling. Matching a useless color is better than her having a shot at one of her colors. Pass up a purple match if it gives her a chance at black, and go match a safe yellow or blue instead (assuming no black, red, green already).
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So is the moral of this 4DDQ:
    "If you don't have at least 4 in Purple and Level 145-ish, don't bother?"

Didn't even bother to try last time as mine was maybe about 4 total covers last time around with no Purple.

Mine is barley usable at @ Level 150 2 5 3.
    Much better places to put ISO than into one of the worst 4 star characters...
  • Monged4life
    Options
    Well that was surprisingly easy. Won it 1st try with purple/blue, red/yellow and crit boosts. One purpletile.png and 2 redtile.png all managing to go off reduced her to 200 health, right as she had just beaten me senseless with a greentile.png and a redtile.png . Killed her with 30 health left.
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    5/1/5 (140) - 2 tries. 1 pink, 2 red triggers.
  • inadreves1
    inadreves1 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    5/5/2 lvl.166 with critic and color boosts. I managed to stock 7 yellow & 16 purple. Gamora triggered her black in her last turn, then my 2 purples killed her.
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 241 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It took me six tries, but I finally won with my SL at 5/4/0 at level 162. Not having red really sucks for this match up. I boosted all AP, 100% match damage, and 50% g/b damage, and lucked into a board that wasn’t dropping green, red or black cascades icon_e_smile.gif I focused more on matching all her colors vs mine, only going after my colors if I knew she wouldn't have a good match next turn. Boosting damage on g/b really helped with this, and I still managed to get purple off twice.

The perseverance paid off, I got blackflag.png OML (Omg!!) who is now 1/1/1.
  • motownjunkie
    motownjunkie Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    Bumped my 4/2/2 icon_starlord.png to level 125 and used b/g damage boost, all damage boost and +2 all AP. Star-Lord sucks but I managed to get her down to half health, then got a series of 3 lucky match-5s - the third included 2 crits and finished her off! Got a yellow icon_miles.png from the legendary to make him 1/2/0. Kept my 100% record for this round of 4* DDQ which I really didn't expect!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    5/1/4, 140 took 6 attempts and a purple heavy board, was able to get purple off 2x and red off once

+r/y, +p/b, +all

This time 5/3/5, 140, 2 attempts. 1st was close, a red CD was matched off before it could resolve.

Bootsed +2 ap purpleflag.pngblueflag.png, +2ap redflag.pngyellowflag.png , +100% match damage

icon_miles.pngyellowflag.png
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My Starlord: 5/1/2 @135lvl

It was really hard but I have won with about 6-7 tries.
    Had to use every skill twice (purple, wait for 2x yellow, then 2x red, purple again) and finally killed her with some matches (if I needed one more, I would die because she managed to get 6 red APs).
    The key is to deny every match witch could give her useful APs, sometimes it's even better to give her match-4 in color she doesn't use.
    And of course boosts: +2purple/blue, +2red/yellow, +2all

Edit:
    It was worth: blackflag.pngicon_ghostrider.png
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Three tries with my champion Starlord, speced to 5/3/5 for maximum damage output. First match I thought I'd win until she fired Skull cracker and Bad Reputation. Second match... She fired Skull cracker and Bad reputation even earlier. Third time I managed to blow her up though.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tatercat wrote:
    Been dreading this one, as last time I had a 4/2/2 Starlord at lvl 168 and went through 20 health packs, never did beat her. It's a combination of a support character with long countdowns vs a character that's pretty dominating 1 on 1. (How does Skullcracker still stun if there's no teammates to bang his head against or be thrown at? Grrrrr).

My Starlord is now 5/3/4 at 192, and I've reluctantly resigned myself into dumping iso on him to get to 200 by Friday. But even at that level, people were having trouble with this last time, so this is still iffy.

Got it the first try this time, with Starlord now at lvl 200, plus rainbow damage boosts and +2 R/Y, +2 B/P. Got a purpleflag.pngicon_kingpin.png.... for my 2/5/3 Kingpin. That's two in a row 4*DDQ that just gave me a 1K cover for characters that really need either of the other two colors. Oh well, at least now I know I have a Starlord who can clear this going forward, so I never have to put anymore ISO into him.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well that was surprisingly easy. Won it 1st try with purple/blue, red/yellow and crit boosts. One purpletile.png and 2 redtile.png all managing to go off reduced her to 200 health, right as she had just beaten me senseless with a greentile.png and a redtile.png . Killed her with 30 health left.

Interesting definition of "surprisingly easy". I think Ronda Rousey had more than 30 health after her last fight. icon_e_wink.gif
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Got it on my 7th try. 5/5/3, with +p/b, +rainbow, +p/b damage X5. (Started at level 131, leveled to 145 for more HP).

I kept getting really bad boards where all I could do was play defensively. I got within one turn of winning multiple times.

Prize: Duplicate Thing Red. Put more iso into boosts for this than the prize was worth. But I won, so, pride bonus.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    took 5 tries. had a harder time of it this time despite being fully covered at 5/3/5 now. every match, either red or green dropped from the top like a skittles commercial. kept her off of black ok, but red and green kicked my butt. had her down to 1K once. 2 other times I had cds on the board that would end the game when she killed me. that last one she had enough to finish me when the last cd went off. I learned to play his red a little better to make her use more ap, but this is a hard one.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got amazingly lucky and won on my first try with my 4/5/4 level 135 StarLord. Boosted match damage 100%, all AP and 2 red/yellow. Board had very little of her colors and I got off an early purple. She got a red and green off and I thought I was dead. But was able to fire off a yellow and 2 reds and killed her with 25 health left.

Got a Carnage red with the token. He's already champed, so I got a bonus 2500 ISO.
  • Sandfli
    Sandfli Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Won on my second try with a level 135, 3/5/4 Starlord with only 74 health at the end. 1st try Starlord was only 120 and was debating whether to put anymore iso in him, but I spent around 11,000 to get him up to 135, which was "just" enough.