Nova 4* DDQ: A tale of two Sams.

Options
Quebbster
Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
I'm a sucker for some speculation about upcoming DDQ opponents. This time, I Think it might be Captain Marvel - identical colors and both are space themed.
My Nova is championed, so I have Little doubt I'll be able to pull this off. As long as I can spam Rocket Man the poor opponent shouldn't have a chance.
(Unless they go with Silver Surfer of course!)

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With all the strikes nova puts out, i am thinking Venom may be a good opponent for him, sure lots of health, but more strikes you put out, cheaper his green gets, they share yellow and black, would make for a real challenge.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was thinking about that this morning. They may give us someone who is immune to Airborne - that would be Galactus, Ultron, and the two new bosses. That doesn't seem necessary, but they may decide to do so anyway. Both of these suggestions are good ones - CM would be on the easier side because of the way 3* damage scales.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mine's only 3/0/2 at lvl 115. Maybe doable with all those strike tiles. I would be dead in the water if they used a character who can't be thrown. But possible since its in the middle of the Civil War event anyway.

MY alliance was discussing this the other day, we think it might be someone like 3* Bullseye or Elektra since they use your strikes against you. She-hulk could be another option for this too with her blue.

Venom is an interesting choice, with special tiles lowering his green cost. And as long as he's not 5/5/5, or at least 5 in black, he'll strengthen your strike tiles too.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My Casa is 2/1/1, so unless I get an incredible pull, I'll probably be skipping this one again (which isn't too bad since I'm working on leveling and championing my second 4*).
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I didn't check Star Lord's covers during Miles's DDQ, but Carnage was way undercovered during Venom's (though it was still somewhat difficult). Wondering if that's a new trend of undercovered enemies just to help out during their first, or if it will stay - notably, Hulk from Rulk's DDQ was undercovered the second time, so with luck, whoever Nova fights will be weaker too.

On that note, giving us someone immune to going airborne would be the ultimate troll. The other thoughts above, Bullseye Elektra CapMarv, are all fairly scary too, actually.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nova does put out a lot of strikes, so someone that feeds off enemy special tiles would seem like a good choice. But I'm having trouble thinking of someone that both feeds off enemy strikes AND shares 2/3 colors with nova.

Doc Oc only overlaps black, and Squirrel Girl only overlaps yellow. Daredevil only overlaps on red, but be would be an interesting opponent. The stun is powerful, and traps would deny an important color for Nova.

Venom does overlap on two colors, and he benefits from enemy special tiles. And elektra could be nasty since all of nova's powers make strikes for her.

In general, I expect this to be one of the easier 4* ddqs, a la iceman, because cheap stunning (or airborne) powers are very powerful 1v1. But opponents like IMHB or 3* cyclops could make things very nasty with huge damage abilities and self-acceleration.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Daredevil only overlaps on red, but be would be an interesting opponent. The stun is powerful, and traps would deny an important color for Nova

I always doubted they'd use Daredevil because of his potential to perma-stun in 1v1, but you're right that it could be an interesting matchup.
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    With all the strikes nova puts out, i am thinking Venom may be a good opponent for him, sure lots of health, but more strikes you put out, cheaper his green gets, they share yellow and black, would make for a real challenge.
    I agree, Venom is a pretty obvious (and good) choice. Hopefully, much like with Iceman's blue, matching enough red will let you perma-stun your opponent as you gather AP for more damaging powers.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    It occured to me that an attack tile maker might make sense against Nova - the tiles will keep attacking while the enemy is airborne. Psylocke is the only attack tile maker I can Think of off the top of my head that matches the color profile (well, Carnage too, but I don't Think he'd get Another go already).
    EDIT: Ghost Rider, Human Torch and 3* Punisher also fit the profile. Torch could be interesting.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pulled my LT's and got another, but didn't know how to level - then remembered I had ~150 tacos. Pulled another there, hopefully 3/4/2 160/188 can get it done.

vs Cyc would color match (and suck)
  • bobbyfish
    bobbyfish Posts: 299
    Options
    couple of reds in the last week has brought me to 4/1/2, so I might have a chance now. Levelled to 152 as I didn't have any urgent use for the ISO and actually I think Nova will be one I'll want to level in the future.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Sam Alexander vs Sam Wilson. I see what they did there. I don't think Wilson will be much of a threat when he's airborne, but we'll see.
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ah relief. Easy one. Did it with my 111 2/3/4 Nova.

+2 Red/Yellow AP just to make things a tad faster. Did accidentally allow Falcap to cast yellow, but as long as you deny red at all costs (throw him when there are more than 1 red match for example), it works well. Didn't even get to cast his black for the nuke, so it's really not necessary, although I suppose it would have made it easier.

Saving token for next season.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Only little hiccup I had was that I did not realize yellow would not generate strike tiles in a one-on-one battle, so I had to collect black to get Rocket Man up and running. Obviously my maxed Nova would not have any issues though, the trend of undercovered opponents seems to hold.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My 3/1/0 Nova did it with a few match boosts (R/Y & B/G). Took me 3 tries but this one is not hard at all. Deny red and yellow, send him airborne when needed.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I brought my 3/2/2 to level 125 and was able to win with full boosts. Could have been a little more active in using Rocket Men, because I ended the fight with a little under 1000 health left.

Appropriately enough, won a Red Nova from the fight's LT.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Took four tries to win with my 2/3/3 Nova, and I eventually had to bump him up to level 125. No coincidence that I finally won in the fight where I got a huge black cascade early and saved it up to place 6 strike tiles at once so I could finally use the move's damaging version. Every other attempt I couldn't whittle Falcon down before he scraped 14 red together. Saving the token until Cap and Iron Man enter the 5* pool.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Pulled my LT's and got another, but didn't know how to level - then remembered I had ~150 tacos. Pulled another there, hopefully 3/4/2 160/188 can get it done.

Got it done...yet another HB (4th in last two days since we went IM side)
  • Miztiq
    Miztiq Posts: 23
    Options
    Easy enough with 3/0/1 lvl 111.

Keeping him airborne gives you time to stock up on red, to send him airborne again...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Falcap was easy, the only issue I had was Nova's yellow did not produce a strike tile so I had to fire black first. My Nova is at level 120 5,2,3.