Good policy or not good policy that's the question

Options
LoVe1AnGe
LoVe1AnGe Posts: 37
edited January 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I feel like less and less players are playing MTGPQ. The reason imo is the harder and harder sidequests to break ties.

We are only 22k atm while when fateful showdown were released we were more than 30k.

I think dev took a bad choice about sidequets to make the top players more competitive and so break their tie.
But in fact the ties still go on and Filanka from my coalition have perfect score but is ranked top 20 cuz of tied, when, I guess, new people are afraid about how hard the game is and just flee far away.

If I was the dev I would try to find a better way to break that ties instead make the game harder for newbie-mid players but still ok-easy for top player that keep blocked in ties.

What do u think ?

Comments

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't think the problem is that side quests are too difficult. When I was a newer player I couldn't hope to get most of the side quests for the OGW challenges, I could barely hope to beat the bosses. But I still played and enjoyed the game.

The problem is that the tie breaker system is totally unfair and consistently advantages those that can play at a certain time of the day. (For me 4:00 AM).

Also, in platinum you always have to race against some suspected cheats who somehow manage to clear their last nodes in roughly 1 minute. Impossible? Almost certainly.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    babar3355 wrote:
    The problem is that the tie breaker system is totally unfair and consistently advantages those that can play at a certain time of the day. (For me 4:00 AM).

This system has been around since day 1. It's just shifted the time by 3 hours. I would argue it's only fair to let the rest of the world get a taste of that advantage for a while.
  • Crimmy
    Crimmy Posts: 16
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    babar3355 wrote:

This system has been around since day 1. It's just shifted the time by 3 hours. I would argue it's only fair to let the rest of the world get a taste of that advantage for a while.

The previous last refresh time was a good middle ground. Early for some late for others, etc. Midnight for Australia, 5am for the west coast. The only people in a bad spot were Hawaiins. Now, it's 1, 2, 3, or 4am for Americans. Blatantly screwing us over.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Crimmy wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:
    babar3355 wrote:

The previous last refresh time was a good middle ground. Early for some late for others, etc. Midnight for Australia, 5am for the west coast. The only people in a bad spot were Hawaiins. Now, it's 1, 2, 3, or 4am for Americans. Blatantly screwing us over.

I don't really think Australians who had to wake up at 3am would agree with your statement.

And let's not forget the advantage you guys still hold in quick battles.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    babar3355 wrote:

This system has been around since day 1

And its been universally unpopular ever since then, except maybe with one person.
  • DuskPaladin
    DuskPaladin Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What I don't get is why did they merge the brackets, instead of creating more brackets? (since there's more platinum players since it's the top tier, you can't go any higher) There's a bottle-neck there, but instead of creating more rooms to accommodate everyone, they instead destroyed their additional rooms and forced everyone in the same room.

Also, why make thousands of 1-day events instead of half as many 2-days events with twice the progression rewards? You'll have less players tied at perfect score this way. Also, you (the devs) want people to play your game and have fun, why did you add totally luck-based objectives which only frustrate and alienate your players?

We, as players, want to play a fast game, during our breaks, our travels on the bus, train, subway, etc. We just want to try new cool cards, make tribal decks, etc. We don't want to have to **** our decks to the max, kill our own creatures, only for the opponent to cascade and and kill us out of nowhere.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Please keep all conversations civil and do not attack other players.

*Removed several posts due to their aggressive nature. Also, please do not spam the thread with repeat posts. Consolidate them into one post, or have a private message conversation with the recipient. Thank you
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby is right, lets keep things civil and do not attack each other,
    Instead attack poorly made decisions which resulted in this laughable state of events.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Look, I think we can all agree there is no way to make everyone happy with event timers because of tinezones. The easiest way to fix this problem is to make it so that the ties are fixed and the event goes on for 7 hours after the last recharge. That, way playing late doesn't put you at a disadvantage and almost everyone should be able to make the last recharge if there's an extra 7 hours after it. I personally don't see any flaws in this idea, but if anyone else does please kindly let me know. icon_e_smile.gif
  • paralistalon
    Options
    The objectives SHOULD be somewhat difficult! How else are new players going to feel that sense of accomplishment when they get new cards and are able to beat objectives they couldn't before? What people hated were objectives that weren't so much difficult as they were tedious.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Crimmy wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:
    babar3355 wrote:

5am was not a good time for those of us on the west coast. It's only an hour later than the 4am time east coasters are now complaining about. The 1am we have now is still annoying but better.

To hit both topics at once, maybe rather than mastery, events could split players by time zone? It'd also likely mean fewer ties for first place, and nodes could be set to refresh at a decent time for people everywhere as events would run at staggered times.
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    wereotter wrote:
    Crimmy wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:
    babar3355 wrote:

5am was not a good time for those of us on the west coast. It's only an hour later than the 4am time east coasters are now complaining about. The 1am we have now is still annoying but better.

To hit both topics at once, maybe rather than mastery, events could split players by time zone? It'd also likely mean fewer ties for first place, and nodes could be set to refresh at a decent time for people everywhere as events would run at staggered times.
    too difficult for hibernum to program
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    After a while, I don't really care about the ranking that much anymore.
    I only earn enough points for personal rewards and that's it.
    The reasons:

1) Event objectives not known before choosing planewalker
    After having the same events over and over again, I kind of remember some of the objectives for each node.
    But sometimes, I forgot and I chose the wrong planewalker and it's too much of a hassle to change the cards all over again to suit the event.
    Why can't we have multiple decks for each planewalker? Or at least let me see the objectives before I select my planewalker for that node.

2) I don't like to keep changing my deck to make sure I am able to have meet those summon X werewolves, vampires, spirits, horrors, eldrazis ... requirements.
    I am okay with a event themed around a creature type. Say for example, a werewolf only deck, or a vampire only deck etc.
    But it's tiring to go out of my way and break my deck configuration just to add in one or two cards to meet those secondary objectives.

3) I have tried going out of my way to try get those objectives and I really find them a waste of time.
    Like many has mentioned, some of them are luck-based.
    Summon 2 or less creatures? My creature just got killed twice and there goes the objective. So I have to go with hexproof creature to avoid that?
    Isn't that really limiting my choices?
    Kill 2 or less of my opponents? But my opponent killed his own creatures with a return all but his hand was full... even though I disabled all of them...
    Win with less than X amount of life.... waste of time. I know it takes skill to do that but I have to change my offensive deck to a deck with more control, slowing down my pace.

4) I am not that great a player. These challenges are too troublesome for me.