$30 for one mythic

Options
loroku
loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
Being extremely generous with the value of crystals, you could say that one FP = just under $10 and 150 crystals is just over $5, coming out to about $15, leaving the guaranteed mythic with a value of $15. Keep in mind that one Fat Pack is worth just less than one rare, so $15 in this equation is also worth about one and a half rares so the actual value of a guaranteed mythic is probably more than half the cost of the purchase.

It certainly makes sense why they'd nerf the drop rates if $15+ is their expected price for a mythic.

To be fair: this is exactly what the playerbase has been asking for! So kudos to the devs for following through on an oft-requested player idea.

The price is just a little ridiculous unless you're a big time whale. So, whale away I guess?

Comments

• EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    they need to have every bundle to be available with crystals.

What if i spent a ton of money on crystals, i cant even buy the mythic card unless i spent some more

there should always be a way of "play more and dont spend money", unless they are things that dont add anything to the game
  • BassMuffinFIve
    Options
    Lol!! $30. For the price of a real game fellas, you can collect 1/48 of the mythics in this mobile game.

That's right. OR, for the low low price of $1,440 you too can have all the digital parts of this game! Well, not counting the rares...

I don't blame the devs. They need to make money. But F2P is a dirty dirty marketing system.
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    Lol!! $30. For the price of a real game fellas, you can collect 1/48 of the mythics in this mobile game.

That's right. OR, for the low low price of $1,440 you too can have all the digital parts of this game! Well, not counting the rares...

I don't blame the devs. They need to make money. But F2P is a dirty dirty marketing system.

Hey, that $30 also gets you a fat pack with maybe a single rare that you already own in it (if you're lucky) and 150 crystals to put towards saving up for a big box that has only a single guaranteed rare in it.

I'm honestly getting super burnt out on this game's collection strategy. I want specific cards, but I have no pathway to get them. No matter how much you spend or how much you play, there's no guarantee you'll ever see the card you're looking for. Well, maybe if you spend thousands of dollars - literally.

Within 3 months of an expansion being released, a heavy daily playing player, let's say someone who plays ~2 hours per day, and an average of $10 spent per month, should have been able to collect every card from that expansion. I played at least that much (closer to double is likely) and bought 2 big boxes during the first 5 months of the game and I'm still missing 11/24 mythics and a single rare (curse you Talent of the Telepath!) And that's with the "mostly confirmed" much better rate of mythics and rares in packs before the 1.3.0 patch. Since then they've made it a lot harder to get rares and mythics even with increased playtime.

If you're chasing a specific blue mythic rare card what are your choices?
    • Once every two weeks compete for 1st place in PvP - to guarantee coming in first you must now literally play around 6+ hours per day for 2-3 days because of the 3,000 person player pool - say if you win every Blue PvP for 3 months (the length of time between MtG expansions) you would have less than a 70% chance of getting the blue mythic you wanted
    • Get lucky with packs - let's say you're guaranteed a single Mythic (unlikely) with every Big Box which is roughly $25 to purchase, after buying 24 Big Boxes (600 dollars) you would have only a 63% chance to get the blue mythic you're looking for

It's really, extremely frustrating that while they've made it easier to get Crystals, what you get with those Crystals is worth so much less. There's no reason that we all have to play the lottery to get the decks we want. 5 and a half months into this games life and I have yet to see a single person that has a completed set of Origins. Doesn't anyone else see something wrong with this?
  • Irving
    Irving Posts: 95
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    It's really, extremely frustrating that while they've made it easier to get Crystals, what you get with those Crystals is worth so much less. There's no reason that we all have to play the lottery to get the decks we want. 5 and a half months into this games life and I have yet to see a single person that has a completed set of Origins. Doesn't anyone else see something wrong with this?

I mean... you're right, of course. I think there are plenty of people saying this. (I quieted down for a little while myself because I was feeling like I was just repeating myself - plus I was playing through the new story missions, which are sincerely a lot of fun and a welcome added challenge.)

I don't know what the exact "fair" rate is of getting cards, but I do think that the current one is surprisingly low. One of the standard definitions for a "whale" is someone willing to spend $50/month, and even at that level (2 1/2 big boxes per month if you buy crystals at the best rate) you'd open something like 15 rares and a couple of mythics in a month, nowhere near enough to give you any likelihood of getting particular rares or mythics, even counting play rewards and daily rewards. (Math available upon request.)

I've said it before - their game, their prerogative to set prices as they like. But it'd be a *real* shame if folks like you and me, with money burning holes in our pockets, got driven away because even spending money and logging lots of hours doesn't give you a reasonable chance of getting the cards you want to play with (especially now that mythics are good and relevant). I'm happily going through the content with different Planeswalkers now, because it's fun, but I can't see going back to churning Quick Battles after that. If they published the drop rates and said they were going back to pre-1.3, though, I would happily and immediately buy at least a Big Box or two, and even something in between would probably separate me from at least some of my cash.

I hate being a complainer! I want to enjoy this game and be posting about fun strategies and combos and stuff. The programmers put a lot of effort into it - would love to mess around with an Ingest-process synergy deck or something.

(PS. Has anyone else been getting unusual numbers of rares and even Mythics in their free boosters since BFZ, actually? I've gotten like two rares and a Mythic in the last week and a half. Unfortunately they've been Origins ones I already have, but that's interesting. Doesn't seem to have affected regular booster rates though.)
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Irving wrote:
    I don't know what the exact "fair" rate is of getting cards, but I do think that the current one is surprisingly low.
    That statement pretty much sums up the entire game right now. I mean, I like the match 3 game, but it's not the whole game. The meta-game of acquiring rewards is at least as important, makes no sense right now, and gets no love.

And honestly, I don't have a lot of hope. It took MPQ over 2 years to get settled into a meta that - while still lacking - is at least worth paying attention to. I have a feeling that the primary programmers - Hibernum - have nothing to do with this, and it's the publishers - d3, and that i-one - who controls this side of the game. And seriously: they are terrible at making a meta that is satisfying to play. The core match-3 games and their IPs are fun enough that people come back, but the actual meta in both games is EXTREMELY unsatisfying. And it's not just a "FtP" issue: MANY other FtP games get much closer.
  • Amanda the Wuss
    Options
    Does anyone know if Ulamog can be obtained via normal means (packs, qb rewards) or if purchasing it is the only way to get it?
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    "this is exactly what the playerbase has been asking for"

Not exactly. The player base has been screaming for a way to obtain specific cards. If it was $30 for your choice of a card, Ulamog included, then that would be one thing. If it's $30 for an Ulamog, then that doesn't help the person who really wants an Exquisite Firecraft. It doesn't even help the person who has the Ulamog, if they don't have the support cards necessary to make Ulamog effective in their deck (cards that create, use and care about colorless gems).

Also, if the only way to currently get an Ulamog is by paying $30 for it, then that's not what anyone ever asked for. It's unclear if this is the case.

If the offer was $30 for your choice of a card plus all the bling, that would be kinda sorta what the player base has been asking for. If they decide $14.99 is the price of a specific card, that's kinda sorta what the player base has been asking for. But I think the player base would also appreciate some way to convert several hours of game play into that same specific card.
  • buffbeardo
    buffbeardo Posts: 154
    Options
    $30 seems cheap at this point. May as well be $50 or higher. Heck, make it an even $100 or greater. Let the super whales fund the game at this point ala MPQ. May as well cut to the chase since that seems to be where were heading anyhow due to their rumored but statistics proven super decreased drop rates that has resulted in many players closing their wallets. I guess they crunched the numbers over time and a few players spending $$$$ was greater than many spending $. I suppose I can't blame them, we all need to make a living.
  • BassMuffinFIve
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    Irving wrote:
    I don't know what the exact "fair" rate is of getting cards, but I do think that the current one is surprisingly low.
    That statement pretty much sums up the entire game right now. I mean, I like the match 3 game, but it's not the whole game. The meta-game of acquiring rewards is at least as important, makes no sense right now, and gets no love.

And honestly, I don't have a lot of hope. It took MPQ over 2 years to get settled into a meta that - while still lacking - is at least worth paying attention to. I have a feeling that the primary programmers - Hibernum - have nothing to do with this, and it's the publishers - d3, and that i-one - who controls this side of the game. And seriously: they are terrible at making a meta that is satisfying to play. The core match-3 games and their IPs are fun enough that people come back, but the actual meta in both games is EXTREMELY unsatisfying. And it's not just a "FtP" issue: MANY other FtP games get much closer.

I was gonna ask if you had played MPQ prior to this. But now I know icon_e_wink.gif Perhaps us tolerating that game for years has jaded us to the same **** in this game? Perhaps we are quicker to see it/less tolerant of it?