what should I use crystals for

Options
huntly
huntly Posts: 99
edited June 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I am kinda new but I'm up to 818 crystals. I don't have the cards to make any plainswalker particularly attractive. I have the basic 5. Should I be looking to buy set boosters or color specific? Should I always save up for the most expensive? How do you manage your crystals?

Comments

• zaann85
    zaann85 Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As a newer player your best route imho is to buy the origins 14 pack for 600. You will get alot of commons and uncommons. You should get a handful of rares and maybe a mythic. All of the packs you obtain from pvp and daily logins are BFZ packs meaning your only Origins cards will be from the 3 pack. A new planeswalker is a waste until you have a few good cards to back them up. Once you get some decent cards, I would then buy all the planeswalkers as your odds of getting new cards diminishes the more you get, and you can get free packs to get new cards. Hope this helps.
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree BFZ and OGW are quite specialized compared to Origins in my opinion, your chances of making a decent deck for one of the 5 are better.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Honestly, you'll get cards from packs if you play events and 8hr free packs. You can't get new PW other than crystals or VERY rare events. Get a PW, namely Kiora or Ajani for their power (or whichever you see yourself having the most fun with).
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I suppose that is a very good point as well.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My general thinking is that it costs about 80,000 runes to fully level a mono-color planeswalker, and about 160,000 runes to fully level a 2-color planeswalker. If you don't have the original 5 leveled up, you're probably better off getting cards with your crystals instead of another planeswalker. If you have 80,000 runes, and your other walkers are fully leveled, maybe you get Gideon II or Garruk. If you have 160,000 runes kicking around, maybe you get Ajani or save up for Kiora.

The other thing to consider is that well over 90% of the cards you pull from packs will be commons and uncommons. If you already have all of the commons and uncommons in a given set, then opening packs of that set is a waste. OTOH, if you only have 20% of the commons and uncommons, then a huge number of the cards you get from opening packs will be new to you.

If you go through the complete list of cards of a set, and you see a lot of commons and uncommons that you would really want for your decks, then maybe consider opening some of those packs. If you don't want any of the commons or uncommons from that set, don't go out of your way to open packs from that set.
  • Barrelrolla
    Barrelrolla Posts: 289
    Options
    Get Kiora IMO. You'll get some nice cards from the free daily packs, QB and Events.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Get Kiora IMO. You'll get some nice cards from the free daily packs, QB and Events.
    Yes... In a couple years he will.

I play from the very beginning(when drop rates were not 1st prize lottery like), placed first in many events(like 6-7 times) and still lack so many card to make an OP kiora(I have a good one).
    I would not advise to any new player kiora unless they got ultra lucky with green and blue cards.

To me it looks like Koth will be the best option now(I will buy as soon as I am "almost sure" he will not get nerfed).
    If you want dual color Ajani or Sarkhon are better choices... Depends on What you have for their color.

Also Gideon ally if you have some good allies. The good one are hard to obtain though.
  • Jazzpha
    Jazzpha Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Morphis wrote:

Also Gideon ally if you have some good allies. The good one are hard to obtain though.

Lantern Scout, Veteran Warleader and Noyan Dar, sure, but you could build a solid Ally deck with mostly uncommons and commons, if you wanted. Resolute Blademaster, Serene Steward, War Oracle, Ondu Rising and Kor Entanglers are all Common or Uncommon, and you can use Gideon's second and third abilities to beef up your board and close out a game.

I mean sure, the deck won't be insanely optimized, but it could still work well. Definitely still a situation where you'd want to get those cards first before buying the PW, though.

TL;DR you're not wrong, but I think sometimes good can be good enough.
  • huntly
    huntly Posts: 99
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to stick with my slow burn chandra till I get the cards to go with another, or till we get a manared.png / manablue.png , manared.png / managreen.png , or managreen.png / manablack.png that looks good.

I'm still curious about the color specific packs. I assume they have all sets but is it worth the extra manacrystal.png for the guaranteed mythic. And should I go for the extra OTW booster to get some more specific cards to help me choose my next plainswalker.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm too wondering how to spend my crystals. I have Nissa level 54 and Gideon level 40 with enough to level him up to 54 as well. At the time I bought the green only guaranteed rare pack. Should I do the same now that white packs are available? Should I instead buy an origins pack? I currently have 163 cards total, day 19 player. Any advice? Thanks!
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    huntly wrote:
    Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to stick with my slow burn chandra till I get the cards to go with another, or till we get a manared.png / manablue.png , manared.png / managreen.png , or managreen.png / manablack.png that looks good.

I'm still curious about the color specific packs. I assume they have all sets but is it worth the extra manacrystal.png for the guaranteed mythic. And should I go for the extra OTW booster to get some more specific cards to help me choose my next plainswalker.

I'm a new player and bought the green guaranted rare pack. I don't regret it. I got some nice cards that helped me build a competitive deck for quick battle. I'm pondering whether it's worth doing the same for Gideon, my second planes walker or maybe it would be more cost effective to buy the origins pack since I plan on collecting all the character anyway.

Since you are working on red I would say it's worth the extra expense as red seems to dominate quick battle.