For a total of 1650

Kiora ajani and tezzeret already owned.

That leaves out ob nixilis and Garruck.

Does it look like a good plan?

Comments

• EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you buy the planeswalkers, you have to level them up. On my iPad, I bought all the planeswalkers even though I don't have enough runes to level 3 of them. On my iPhone, I bought a big box and pulled a huge number of good cards. Like 4 Mythics and 13 rares, most of which I didn't already have (but some of which were duplicates).

I think the BFZ Big Box is a good deal right now, because it has the Oath of the Gatewatch stuff in it, and all of the Oath cards right now are uncommon, rare and Mythic.

My impression is that these events are going to take place every weekend, and each one will have the potential of earning you a couple hundred crystals or so. If so, getting crystals is no longer going to be like pulling teeth, and it would make sense to spend some on packs rather than planeswalkers.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well I certainly wouldn't buy a lot of planeswalkers at once. Why not buy any cards you are going to first, and see if you get anything new which urges you in the direction of playing a particular one?

My own plan is to just buy planeswalkers one by one until I have all of them right now. There are plenty of cards I'd like, but the drop rate isn't great for rares and mythics these days, and I get a better return on variety of gameplay from planeswalkers. New cards (very) slowly dribble into my account from the free packs anyway.... when I get enough Allies, then I'll get Gideon2, when I get a Thopter Spy network, I'll get Tezz, when I get Akoum hellkite, I'll get Sarkhan...
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So probably one bfz box for sure then a pwalker and other when I can lvl up

Btw do is it correct overall to leave Garruck and ob out for now?

Garruck cause I have already a great nissa deck. Also Garruck has no appeal to me cause of skills.

Ob nixilis unless you build for ultimate looks a worse Liliana to me.
    Also it is definitely inferior to sarkhan imho.

Same goes for Liliana but you can always run reanimator with her that is kinda unique and strong for pve.
  • EDHdad
    Options
    Gideon II works just fine without any Allies. If you have Thopter Spy Network, Kiora is actually better, since you can also use Herald of the Pantheon and From Beyond for additional synergy.

I absolutely love Ob Nixilis. He draws cards, destroys creatures and has a built in win condition. He has about 40 more starting life than Liliana, FWIW.

I do agree that if you're looking at spending 1600 crystals on packs plus walkers, to open the packs first and then see which walkers would work best with the cards you currently have.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I heartily recommend Ob Nixilis. His unique win condition is slow, but very fun. It's nice to have an alternate way to do things instead of the same ol' "slam critters into each other" method. I also found him extremely useful during the event, as black's removal and hand disruption is pretty powerful. To be honest, he sort of makes Lilliana irrelevant.
  • Morphis
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    I heartily recommend Ob Nixilis. His unique win condition is slow, but very fun. It's nice to have an alternate way to do things instead of the same ol' "slam critters into each other" method. I also found him extremely useful during the event, as black's removal and hand disruption is pretty powerful. To be honest, he sort of makes Lilliana irrelevant.
    I do not know
    To be honest I think the exact opposite is true.
    Controlling the game to get the ultimate out is even slower than controlling it to reanimate stuff.
    To me the effect is similar if you know what to reanimate(twins or hangarback).

Life total is a lot higher that is true and mana gains too.
    Looking in that perspective though I will buy sarkhan that has the same first skill, usually worse 2nd skill(but tbh black has plenty of removal) and both 3rd skills are "equally" finishers.
    Sarkhan has access to red cards and that is a big plus.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ob is slow to setup, but fast to finish.

Once his ultimate is out, you're doing at least 12 damage a turn (your draw + his draw). If you use your first ability that's 18, and have any sort of deck synergy (e.g., Read the Bones), that's 6-12 more.
  • TheLaughingMann
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:
    If you buy the planeswalkers, you have to level them up. On my iPad, I bought all the planeswalkers even though I don't have enough runes to level 3 of them. On my iPhone, I bought a big box and pulled a huge number of good cards. Like 4 Mythics and 13 rares, most of which I didn't already have (but some of which were duplicates).

I think the BFZ Big Box is a good deal right now, because it has the Oath of the Gatewatch stuff in it, and all of the Oath cards right now are uncommon, rare and Mythic.

My impression is that these events are going to take place every weekend, and each one will have the potential of earning you a couple hundred crystals or so. If so, getting crystals is no longer going to be like pulling teeth, and it would make sense to spend some on packs rather than planeswalkers.

I sure hope so. If they toss these events our way on a regular basis, now that this new update is live, then I would definitely be on board for getting crystals at a more solid rate.

I didn't see much value in getting the higher end planeswalkers. Kiora's too expensive at 950 crystals (I figured for that price, she better unlock a kickass deck of cards, but instead she just caches in a basic assortment of what you already have, so you're paying more for her special abilities). Ajani at 550 crystals is also a bit pricey (again, same as Kiora with the abilities). The only one I may consider getting is Koth to upgrade over Chandra. He's priced soundly like the others, and the new update practically made him a beast on Red.

My crystals are definitely going towards Fat Packs and Big Boxes...though I am saving up for my first Big Box now. I'm at 425 crystals currently and still have a few more of the Chapter 2 planeswalkers to beat in the First Strike Event.
  • Morphis
    Options
    Thank god I chose to buy another big box cause I reached 1100 after first buy(that was kinda bad).
    So I have 500 left for 2 base pwalkers or sarkhan in a little while

I had the best big box since they nerfed the drops...

3 mythic
    1 double(not even remember which one was)
    Ulamog: great eldrazi
    MIRRORPOOL: oh yeah baby! So powerful and fits many decks.

Also got a silvan advocate which performance I will test
    And a lantern scout that is great, efficient and is really needed for ally deck(future) deck.

At long last a big box worth it! There is some justice.
  • PapiLouis4
    PapiLouis4 Posts: 113
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    Thank god I chose to buy another big box cause I reached 1100 after first buy(that was kinda bad).
    So I have 500 left for 2 base pwalkers or sarkhan in a little while

I had the best big box since they nerfed the drops...

3 mythic
    1 double(not even remember which one was)
    Ulamog: great eldrazi
    MIRRORPOOL: oh yeah baby! So powerful and fits many decks.

Also got a silvan advocate which performance I will test
    And a lantern scout that is great, efficient and is really needed for ally deck(future) deck.

At long last a big box worth it! There is some justice.

lol nice, mirrorpool will fit in pretty much any deck. a few days ago i opened a big box and got 4 mythics, sadly 3 were duplicates icon_e_sad.gif
  • EDHdad
    Options
    I didn't see much value in getting the higher end planeswalkers. Kiora's too expensive at 950 crystals (I figured for that price, she better unlock a kickass deck of cards, but instead she just caches in a basic assortment of what you already have, so you're paying more for her special abilities). Ajani at 550 crystals is also a bit pricey (again, same as Kiora with the abilities).

Just the ability to put two colors in one deck is reason enough to get Ajani or Kiora somewhere down the line. However, it can wait if you don't have the 160,000 runes to fully level them up.

Right now, the BFZ Big Box is a particularly good deal. It can't be stressed enough that right now, the only Oath of the Gatewatch cards available are uncommon, rare and mythic. On my phone, I completed the event (didn't go back for any of the special challenges) and bought a Big Box. Between the prizes won during the event and the Big Box, I now have 9 rares and 3 mythics from Oath. That's 50% of the available rares and 25% of the available Mythics.

Maybe I just got lucky, but in my Big Box I pulled 4 Mythics and 13 rares, most of which I didn't already have.
  • zaann85
    zaann85 Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Obby's Ultimate costs 18 loyalty and can pump out 32 damge+ per turn. You draw for the turn, 8, activate first ability, 24, then pass and your opponent draws for their turn, 32. If you can draw more cards, then it's just bonkers!
  • PapiLouis4
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:
    I didn't see much value in getting the higher end planeswalkers. Kiora's too expensive at 950 crystals (I figured for that price, she better unlock a kickass deck of cards, but instead she just caches in a basic assortment of what you already have, so you're paying more for her special abilities). Ajani at 550 crystals is also a bit pricey (again, same as Kiora with the abilities).

Just the ability to put two colors in one deck is reason enough to get Ajani or Kiora somewhere down the line. However, it can wait if you don't have the 160,000 runes to fully level them up.

Right now, the BFZ Big Box is a particularly good deal. It can't be stressed enough that right now, the only Oath of the Gatewatch cards available are uncommon, rare and mythic. On my phone, I completed the event (didn't go back for any of the special challenges) and bought a Big Box. Between the prizes won during the event and the Big Box, I now have 9 rares and 3 mythics from Oath. That's 50% of the available rares and 25% of the available Mythics.

Maybe I just got lucky, but in my Big Box I pulled 4 Mythics and 13 rares, most of which I didn't already have.

dang thats an amnazing drop rate on that big box. my best was 4 mythics with 3 being duplicates. but only one rare as well. if these events continue on every week well be able to purchase them much more frequently, since i was easily able to get a bit over 400 crystals from it alone
  • parasith77
    parasith77 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Sorry for hijacking this post but i could need an advise too.

I am playing since 4 weeks now and i was able to collect 1750 mana crystals. I bought 2x BFZ Fat Packs and i have 450 crystals left. I am not sure what to do now. Buy one or two mono colour planeswalkers (koth or gideon II or ob nixilis) or a dual colour planeswalker (ajani).

At the moment i mostly play an ally deck with gideon I and it works really good for me (using Serene Steward, Lantern Scout, Ondu greathorn and Mirrorpool). I also use Chandra (with Embermaw Hellion, Pia and Kiran, Dust Walker, Jori En and Mirrorpool) and Lilianna (with Kalitas, Mirrorpool, Remorseless Punishment).

I only have a few Mythics and Rares yet:
    - Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet (M)
    - Mirrorpool (M)
    - Fathom Feeder
    - Remorseless Punishment
    - Eldrazi Devastator
    - Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    - Deepfathom Skulker
    - Embermaw Hellion
    - Veteran Warleader
    - Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
    - Kytheon`s Irregulars
    - Mina and Denn, Wildborn
    - Sigil of Empty Thrones
    - Languish
    - Dust Stalker
    - Harbinger of Tides
    - Jori En, Ruin Driver
    - Lumbering Falls
    - Lantern Scout

What is your advice? Would you buy Ajani or 2 mono coloured planeswalkers?

Or would you safe crystals for Kiora? Or maybe just buy another fat pack instead of any planeswalker?

Thank you very much for your opinions!

Parasith
  • Morphis
    Options
    parasith77 wrote:

I am playing since 4 weeks now and i was able to collect 1750 mana crystals. I bought 2x BFZ Fat Packs and i have 450 crystals left. I am not sure what to do now. Buy one or two mono colour planeswalkers (koth or gideon II or ob nixilis) or a dual colour planeswalker (ajani).

At the moment i mostly play an ally deck with gideon I and it works really good for me (using Serene Steward, Lantern Scout, Ondu greathorn and Mirrorpool). I also use Chandra (with Embermaw Hellion, Pia and Kiran, Dust Walker, Jori En and Mirrorpool) and Lilianna (with Kalitas, Mirrorpool, Remorseless Punishment).

- Mirrorpool (M)
    - Fathom Feeder
    - Remorseless Punishment
    - Eldrazi Devastator
    - Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    - Deepfathom Skulker
    - Embermaw Hellion
    - Veteran Warleader
    - Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
    - Kytheon`s Irregulars
    - Sigil of Empty Thrones
    - Languish
    - Dust Stalker
    - Harbinger of Tides
    - Jori En, Ruin Driver
    - Lumbering Falls
    - Lantern Scout

Or would you safe crystals for Kiora? Or maybe just buy another fat pack instead of any planeswalker?

Parasith
    Based on the fact you already use Chandra and an ally deck Gideon you could update both

Chandra-> Koth. When Chandra is fixed Koth will be a better Chandra in my opinion. Only very weak to ingest decks(unless you build it to be an ingest/devoid deck itself)

Gideon-> gideon2 this one is obvious.
    Gideon first skill is useful with first striker but gideon2 has more sinergy with allies, he is built for it.

If instead you want to change ajani is a good choice.
    Do not expect him to be that fancy. He is simply strong being mana effixient(red and white) and having high mana gain from most colors.

Saving for kiora really depends on which card you have, if they can combo and if you like that combo style.
    For instance kiora was my first new pwalker. I had some cards to build the noyan far buff to heaven combo.
    It works well but I do not like that playstyle...
    Dropping him to buff to 30/30 and more reach creature.... Too streamlined.
  • PapiLouis4
    Options
    parasith77 wrote:

- Mirrorpool (M)
    - Fathom Feeder
    - Remorseless Punishment
    - Eldrazi Devastator
    - Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    - Deepfathom Skulker
    - Embermaw Hellion
    - Veteran Warleader
    - Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
    - Kytheon`s Irregulars
    - Sigil of Empty Thrones
    - Languish
    - Dust Stalker
    - Harbinger of Tides
    - Jori En, Ruin Driver
    - Lumbering Falls
    - Lantern Scout

Parasith

based on your available mythic and rare cards i think your strongest hero would be gideon 2. veteran warleader works so well with his second ability, and lantern scout will help keep you healed up for most fights

however like he mentioned above, if you get bored easily running the same set up, (like i do) you might want to change it up and get a different planeswalker. i usually change up decks every now and then as well
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Considering he (Parasith77) has Mirrorpool, Embermaw Hellion, Mina & Denn and Jori En, I'd say he has a pretty strong Koth deck in there too. Throw in Iroas's Champion and the usual assortment of Red spells and he should be set.

But yeah, looks like BFZ Gideon is his strongest deck as mentioned.
  • Barrelrolla
    Barrelrolla Posts: 289
    Options
    I would buy Ajani.
    While Koth and ally Gideon are considered stronger than Chandra and original Gideon, a dual colored planeswalker will open brand new deckbuilding possibilities. Ajani is really cool and also strong, so I would definitely recommend it.
    And btw, Sarkhan is also amazing, but you probably need some dragons for him. My first ever Mythic was Avaricious Dragon and I got Tyrant of Valakut from the event last week. And with Mirrorpool my matches end the moment I have 18 loyalty to use his third skill.
  • parasith77
    parasith77 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    atm moment i have around 80k runes so i would be able to max koth or gideon II but i am far away from maxing ajani... hard decision...
  • PapiLouis4
    Options
    parasith77 wrote:
    atm moment i have around 80k runes so i would be able to max koth or gideon II but i am far away from maxing ajani... hard decision...

i think your best bet is going with gideon 2 at this point. for one, hes really strong and fast, without needing good cards since his abilities create big creatures. also being able to max him will help you win more of the story missions in the upcoming pve events which in turn means more crystals. and more crystals equals more big boxes, and underlevled ajani without the right cards will prob be to slow for quickbattles, and might not help as much with pve events.

also koth is a beast right now, his first ability is way to good, and can also create monsters out of weaker creatures with his other abilities. i think either of these 2 would be a good choice