Mission impossible: the last of Cpt2, Kozilek, in OGW events

Options

Comments

• Jazzpha
    Jazzpha Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I just had Kozilek commit suicide via Inverter of Truth's passive ability for the second time. First time around it was with Eldrazi Koth; this time it was with ramp Nissa.

I seriously have no idea why anyone would ever run that card. But I'll take the delicious irony, absolutely.
  • Scotcamp
    Scotcamp Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    I beat it with Lvl 50 Jace, though it took some doing. Basically stalled with mana drain and let thopter spy network do all of the work. Will post a deck list if anyone wants. Brawlers Plate is kinda essential for it to work. Let the thopter chop down all of their big scary creatures when you don't have removal in hand.

Please post. Stuck on this.
  • Timin8ore
    Timin8ore Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I beat it using a level 50 Gideon I deck. Basically the idea was to get out a first striker and buff him till I won. All the while praying they didn't get a removal type spell (if they did I built back ok and I was nearly always on full life so no big deal just slows it down).

The idea is to get one of each creature out then use his first ability to make the double striker become in first spot so he goes up 1/1 every turn.

3 creatures: Iroas's Champion, War Oracle, Serene Steward

3 spells: Healing Hands, Smite the Monstrous, Helm of the Gods

4 supports: Shrine of the Forsaken Gods, Meteorite, Brawler's Plate, Supression Bonds

Don't think I needed brawlers plate much nor meteorite but helpful for the helm. Won it pretty easy (second try as first one froze). Had more difficulty on the one before.
  • Barrelrolla
    Barrelrolla Posts: 289
    Options
    Jazzpha wrote:
    I just had Kozilek commit suicide via Inverter of Truth's passive ability for the second time. First time around it was with Eldrazi Koth; this time it was with ramp Nissa.

I seriously have no idea why anyone would ever run that card. But I'll take the delicious irony, absolutely.
    I run it in my Liliana eldrazi deck. I've killed myself 1-2 times in QB icon_e_biggrin.gif But it's fun. It's like a challenge, to kill the enemy before you kill yourself icon_e_biggrin.gif It gives you lots of mana and makes things faster.

Back on topic, I defeated Kozilek with a lvl 36 Sarkhan, using Avaricious Dragon and Tyrant of Valakut. I have Mirrorpool in my deck, but it never came, which made the fight a bit slower, but it still worked. All my spells are either black removal or red damage. And I have a red goblin for 4 mana which I use for sacrifice for a 4/4 dragon. Tyrant was great for killing his hexproof creatures and Sarkhan's 3rd ability was more than great for dealing damage, I had to use it 3 times icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    L50 Kiora win.

Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper
    Oran-Rief Hydra -- didn't come up once, just had him in as backup

Natural Connection
    Stratus Walk
    Rush of Ice
    Talent of the Telepath
    Coastal Discovery
    Day's Undoing
    Mantle of Webs
    Animist's Awakening
  • parasith77
    parasith77 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I finally beat Tyrant of Valakut and also Kozilek with my Gidoen II (Lvl 60) deck:

Creatures:
    Serene Stewart
    Lantern Scout
    Veteran Warleader (must have)
    Resolute Blademaster (was my finisher)

Spells:
    Enshrouding Mist (must have)
    Ondu Rising
    Smite the Monstrous
    Angelic Gift (must have)

Supports:
    Pathway Arrows (filler)
    Mirrorpool
  • Scotcamp
    Scotcamp Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    Defeated Tyrant and Kozilek with this build:

OB NIXILIS

Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    Ulamog's Despoiler
    Fathom Feeder

Unholy Hunger
    Painful Truths
    Grip of Desolation
    Scour from Existence
    Bone Splinters
    Dark Petition
    Languish

Ultimated Ob Nixilis, then focused on removing anything put out. Kept the Languish for the hexproof creatures. Got Ulamog to 30/30 and managed to get in about 150 damage before the Tentacles came out. Took about 10 tries.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I beat Kozilek with:

OB NIXILIS

Unholy Hunger
    Grip of Desolation
    Scour from Existence
    Brawler's Plate
    Dark Petition
    Drana, Liberator of Malakir
    Fathom Feeder
    Languish
    Transgress the Mind
    Ulamog's Despoiler
  • DrakeMallard
    Options
    Scotcamp wrote:
    I beat it with Lvl 50 Jace, though it took some doing. Basically stalled with mana drain and let thopter spy network do all of the work. Will post a deck list if anyone wants. Brawlers Plate is kinda essential for it to work. Let the thopter chop down all of their big scary creatures when you don't have removal in hand.

Please post. Stuck on this.

Support:
    Thopter Spy Network
    Jace's Sanctum
    Sphinx's Tutelage
    Prism Array
    Brawler's Plate

Spells:
    Exert Influence
    Displacement Wave
    Day's Undoing
    Talent of the Telepath

Creatures:
    Hangarback Walker

Got it on the first try this time around, though he got me very low by the time I got lockdown. Don't use second Jace ability unless you absolutely have to, save up and keep spamming 3rd ability.
  • Pucker Up
    Pucker Up Posts: 1
    Options
    Not to humble brag, but I beat it with lvl 40 Gideon the first time, and level 52 Gideon this week.

The strategy is to get first strike creatures, iraos's champion and councilors lieutenant are my choices. You pair them with permanent pump spells and supports. Chitinous cloak, sword of the animist, etc.

The strategy is to not rush them out there. Fill the mana of a first striker, get 20 or so mana on hero, and fill up a few pump spells. In an ideal world you can get a 5 stack gem set up that allows you to take a 2nd turn. Turn all your stuff on, jam out a 8/8 first striker, pump him up with call to arms (gids 2nd spell) and then keep pumping him. Once you feel comfortable, give him gids first skill. Now you have a flying vigilance first striker. He just murders the opponent whole team when they attack while taking no damage.

The second round I grabbed a mirror pool that helps a lot. Turn it off and put it in front of your creature to help ramp the combo.

Annoyingly, kozeleik does have a nasty board sweeper he usually drops once he gets below 100 life. I usually try to build a second combo after my first has taken board control.

Other cards I use are removal (smite the monstrous ) to help stall early or take care of his 18/18 octopus after he sweeps. Lantern scout also helps get some life back once you stabilize.
  • tdellaringa
    Options
    How does prevent damage work? I can't find anything that explains it.
  • tdellaringa
    Options
    I finally beat both Inverter of Truth and Worldbreaker with this deck. I am having trouble wit Kozilek, not sure if it can handle him.

Creatures (3)
    Guul Draz Overseer
    Erebos's Titan
    Brood Butcher

Spells (7)
    Dark Petition (load in heavies after discarding them)
    Unholy Hunger- removal
    Grip of Desolation - removal
    Read the Bones - draw cards
    Transgress the Mind - card discard
    Mire's Malice - card discard/ingest
    Grave Birthing - quick defender, mana

The idea is dump your fatties as you try to keep his hand as close to empty as possible. When he does get something out, you destroy it. Meanwhile you Petition for your removed creatures to pound to win.

The weakness here is I don't have as good of creatures, or it would be stronger. (Open to suggestions). And you can tend to run out of cards. Read the Bones is okay, but doesn't fill your hand like you really need to. Ideally, this deck would have a way to get the cards you need faster, and then it would be very formidable.
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Kozilek was easier then Tyrant of Valakut in my opinion. I beat both with my Jade level 60
    Spells:
    Crush of Tentacles
    Rush of ice
    Turn to frog
    Horribly awry
    Talent of the telepath
    Clutch of currents

Supports:
    Thopter spy network
    Prism ring
    Sphinxes tutelage
    Claustrophobia

No creatures at all
  • tdellaringa
    Options
    I dig that deck, wish I had the cards to make it.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I thought I'd never beat him and then it was relatively easy.

Level 47 Liliana

Creatures:
    Blight Herder
    Breaker of Armies
    Culling Drone (not really necessary)
    Ulamog's Despoiler

Spells:
    Mirrorpool
    Hedron Blade (also not necessary)
    Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
    Scour from Existence
    Transgress the Mind

It worked by discarding as much as possible, removing if necessary and making the creatures huge. And some luck.
  • SpiritusB
    SpiritusB Posts: 4
    Options
    My Ob Nixilis deck for both Tyrant and Kozilek:

Hangarback Walker

Painful Truths
    Unholy Hunger
    Languish
    Alchemist's Vial
    Transgress the Mind
    Dark Petition

Shadows of the Past
    Brawler's Plate

The idea is to go for the kill with the 3rd skill while destroying or disabling their creatures. The Shrine will help getting Hangarback out, which can speed up the game. Shadows of the past kept me alive a couple of times when things got tough and Brawler's Plate works great especially with a horde of Thopters if the Walker dies and you cannot petition right away.
  • Tr1ck5
    Tr1ck5 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have managed to beat it both times with Nissa.

Deck:
    Scour from existence
    Plummet
    Nissa's Pilgramage
    Fertile Thicket
    Reclaiming Vines
    Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
    Undergrowth Champion
    Nissa's Revelation
    Greenwarden of Murasa
    Zendikar Resurgent

key cards I'd say are zendikar resurgent - to keep the card draw's coming, Nissas Pilgramage to keep the extra green's happening for Dywnen's Pump. The extra life pump keeps Greenwarden alive and safe from the 6 damage that keeps getting dealt. The first time I beat it fairly easily but the 2nd time took a few attempts. Once the lock is in place (all 3 creatures down - which you can get fairly easily with zendikar resurgent) and Greenwarden is above 6 life its pretty smooth sailing except for the octopus bomb. If i have the 3 down - I try keep a few cards with their mana fully saved up in case. especially the Scour.

hope that helps someone using Nissa.
    This is all from non-paid for cards - so its making the best of the cards I have. icon_e_biggrin.gif

cheers
  • snow_leopardd
    Options
    was mirrorpool and blight herder necessary? I only ask because I don't have them. icon_e_wink.gif

Level 47 Liliana

Creatures:
    Blight Herder
    Breaker of Armies
    Ulamog's Despoiler

Spells:
    Mirrorpool
    Scour from Existence
    Transgress the Mind

It worked by discarding as much as possible, removing if necessary and making the creatures huge. And some luck.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just finished maxing Gideon Battle Forged, using a reknown deck. War Oracle goes out first, if i can get her out first and then Relic Seeker , it is usually fairy over by that point if Call To Arms is ready. Once they get going, you start healing, i have had that little Oracle up to 40/40 , no matter what gets dished out, you will just heal it back up.

Takes a bit of luck to get started, need to draw Oracle and Relic, but it seems to happen regularly enough to make it viable to win in a few tries.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Blight Herder is nice but not absolutely necessary, but Mirrorpool is just perfect. Doubling any of the big Eldrazi is hard to get around by the opponent, and a reinforced Breaker of Armies breaks even more. icon_e_wink.gif
    was mirrorpool and blight herder necessary? I only ask because I don't have them. icon_e_wink.gif

Level 47 Liliana

Creatures:
    Blight Herder
    Breaker of Armies
    Ulamog's Despoiler

Spells:
    Mirrorpool
    Scour from Existence
    Transgress the Mind