Crystals to spend

Options
Coconut99
Coconut99 Posts: 212
edited July 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So I've been idly accruing crystals, and thanks to these new PvE events, have jumped up a fair bit recently, sitting now at around 1,020. With all of the current PWs now available, where would I best throw this down? PW or BB? And if a PW, which one(s)? (Currently, I only have Nissa and Chandra, so literally every other one is fair game.)

(If there are any particular cards "needed" before buying specific PWs, I can specify if I have them or not.)

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gideon, Battle-Forged is one of the most consistent and effective planeswalkers you can have. His first ability, plus first strikers, makes him viable the majority of the time.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, if you're looking to stay with the initial 5 planeswalkers, I'd say Gideon... he's very powerful, and certainly seems to me to have a higher percentage of playable commons or uncommons than Jace or Liliana. Liliana especially needs the right cards before she really comes into her own.

I don't have much experience with the more expensive single color planeswalkers, so I haven't much to say about them... I have Garruk, and don't find him particularly interesting, and I've only just bought Koth, who I hear good things about but haven't had much chance to play yet.

If you just want to leap up to a more powerful dual color planeswalker, then I can highly recommend Ajani, who despite catching a recent nerf can still deal with anything that's thrown at him and is very fast with the right build, or you can even afford Kiora, who certainly has power to match her high price tag. Too much, some might say.... alright, just me, it appears to be just me who thinks Kiora is too powerful icon_e_smile.gif
  • parasith77
    parasith77 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=47056

Same question, maybe that will help you icon_e_wink.gif
  • Coconut99
    Options
    I saw that (afterward, though), but wasn't sure it applied too well as advice since Morphis already had Kiora, Ajani, and Tezzeret.

Unless the implication is that those should be first icon_e_biggrin.gif

And no, no need to stay with the originals; I'm game for any. Though spreading color coverage would probably be good, to take advantage of Mythics I've yet to be able to play, and to go back and clear the color challenges.
  • Coconut99
    Options
    So, currently at 1159. Should I go Kiora (950, so down to 209), then Gideon I (10, so down to 199), then save for Ob? Or grab Lilliana, forget Ob, and save for Ajani? At that point, I'd have green (Nissa/Kiora), red (Chandra), blue (Kiora), and white (Gideon I) covered, just leaving a hole in black coverage.

Edited: Fixed references from Ajani to Kiora in terms of green/blue...
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Do starter planeswalkers cost still 10 each?
    If that's the case I wonder why anyone should not buy them first.... :/
  • Barrelrolla
    Barrelrolla Posts: 289
    Options
    I would definitely buy all planeswalkers for 10 crystals first. They are so cheap, so anyone can buy them and use the cards they get. And I'd probably go for Kiora, she's worth the crystals. Although if you don't have cards, go for a Big Box before you proceed with other planeswalkers.
  • Coconut99
    Options
    Odds are I've got the cards, particularly with green. Blue I'm missing a few better cards here and there, but I still have a good number.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just a few things to note, most of which were probably already noted on other threads.

* There are huge numbers of crystals lying around in Story Mode if you can defeat each level with a walker of each color. This does make it worthwhile to get the 10-crystal walkers you don't already have if they're in a color you don't currently have.

* If I were to try to do all of the story modes for color, I'd ideally want at least two 2-color walkers with 4 different colors and another walker to round it out. My personal preference would be Kiora for blue-green, Ajani for red-white and Ob Nixilis for Black.

* The most consistent walkers for winning the higher levels of the weekend event are probably Kiora and Ob Nixils. However, other walkers can also win all the modes. The fastest walkers in PvP mode are probably Gideon II, Garruk and Koth. However, other walkers can also be built to be fast.

* If you go into PvP mode with a very low level walker, you'll face other very low level walkers and your games will only last a minute or two. This will net you very few ribbons (1 per win), but will net a lot of crystals (300 per win), which can help you level up some other walker more quickly than playing level 60 walkers.

* If you do want to level up a walker to 60, it will take about 80,000 runes for a one-color walker and about 160,000 runes for a 2-color walker. About 1/2 of that is to get from level 50 to 60, however.

TL;DR: Kiora and/or Ob Nixilis if you're going for power, Ajani, Kiora and Ob Nixilis if you're going for color, Gideon II, Garruk and/or Koth if you're going for speed (with Gideon II being the most consistent of those three).