Which PW should I buy next?

Options
tomatus89
tomatus89 Posts: 66 Match Maker
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So, I am close to finally getting the 5 basic PW to level 60! I have ~1000 crystals, which is the best PW of the new ones? I don't have that many good rare/mythic cards, so is one of the new ones particularly good without depending on specific cards/theme/deck?

Comments

• buffbeardo
    buffbeardo Posts: 154
    Options
    I suggest Koth. His first ability creates crazy cascades and his third ability pumps up your creatures post haste. I haven't used him, but the AI has kicked my butt with him on numerous occasions recently. Kiora is also great, but WAY more expensive to buy and more dependent on having great cards. I know Koth is next on my list.
  • buffbeardo
    buffbeardo Posts: 154
    Options
    Btw, Gideon Ally is also really good imo. So, I suggest Koth. If you don't like red and/or are sick of using it, then Gideon Ally.
  • tomatus89
    Options
    What about 2 colored PWs? Kiora it seems that people say it's dependent if I have good cards to make it work. What about the other ones?
  • PapiLouis4
    PapiLouis4 Posts: 113
    Options
    tomatus89 wrote:
    What about 2 colored PWs? Kiora it seems that people say it's dependent if I have good cards to make it work. What about the other ones?

yes some mythic cards make kiora ridiculously good, but she also has great loyalty abilities that arent necessarily dependent on those mythic combos. however, koth can make use of pretty much any red creature and i would consider him the best, bang for your buck pw by far atm. and then theres gideion z and garruck, who can create a big body for just 9 loyalty, tehy also dont require a high amount of rares or mythics

if i were you id pick from these 4, and if youre still unsure just choose the one you think would be more fun. and if you still cant decide just pick the one you think looks the coolest icon_e_smile.gif
  • Jazzpha
    Jazzpha Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    In terms of brute-force destruction of the enemy, unless your Koth deck is powered by an Eldrazi army and Tyrant of Valakut, I'd say that Ajani is just about as effective at pounding your opponent into submission as Koth is. Ajani might not have as much burst mana gain as Koth does, but his abilities and being able to draw from both red and white card pools make him quite a powerful option.

In some ways Ajani is also more consistent than Koth in terms of not necessarily needing to rely on matches of one color. Even though Koth's first ability can reliably get you at least one red match, if you're playing against an opponent who also uses Red gems, it can get dicey at points if you're denied mana and don't have a way to swing tempo back into your favor.

But Koth is also considerably cheaper to buy and level up, so there's also that to consider.
  • tomatus89
    Options
    Well, it looks that everyone recommends Koth, I guess I buy him. He looks like fun! BTW, there was a thread with how much it costs to level up PWs and what they gained by level. Is that updated? Or is there another place where I can look at that info?
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wait until the new patch next week. There's another (and more) PW coming out with a new set of cards and mechanics.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    I would be surprised if the new planeswalker (Nahiri) wasn't cash only, at least for 3 weeks or so.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would be surprised if the new planeswalker (Nahiri) wasn't cash only, at least for 3 weeks or so.

Quite possibly but waiting a week isn't that big of a deal IMO just to see what happens. Especially since the OP is newer and still has lots of cards to collect.

I'd recommend Kiora if you don't want to wait though. Yes it takes 160k runes to level her to 60 but she has arguably the best combination of cards available to her and abilities to go along with them.

Kiora can play decks with just uncommons and do great.
  • Jorge-gracque
    Options
    I'm going to agree with everyone else and rec koth. I'm in the gold tier and my koth deck is the only one that feels ridiculously overpowered.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Koth is pretty slow at first but really gets fun once his red matches give you lots of mana. Especially once you have strong Rare red creatures (Scab Clan, Embermaw, etc) you can build your deck around high-mana-cost cards that you can get out in 1-2 turns.
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'd pick kiora, maybe ob nixilis if you don't have the fatties for lili.

Making chandra work is easier than making jace or nissa work, imho.

I got into the gold tier: chandra and ob are the two I have that can win very reliably.

Chandra because the -9 is so strong and she can reset the board with the other two abilities and a couple of minions.

Ob-nixilis because you can build your deck to reliably fire away the -18 and just damage the opponent for 5p-60 damage every turn after reliably.

I don't have kiora but combining blue bounce with green defenders seems strong.