Fun Silverfur Fact

Buret0
Buret0 Posts: 1,591
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I acquired a Silverfur Partisan (R, SoI) from a pack today.

"When a Wolf or Werewolf creature you control becomes the target of a Spell, give +4/+4 to this creature."

Guess what, I guess hand and deck act as "control" for the purposes of this card, because when I use "gather the pack" on a Wolf or Werewolf, it powers up Silverfur.

Any other cards act like that I didn't know about?

Comments

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    I acquired a Silverfur Partisan (R, SoI) from a pack today.

"When a Wolf or Werewolf creature you control becomes the target of a Spell, give +4/+4 to this creature."

Guess what, I guess hand and deck act as "control" for the purposes of this card, because when I use "gather the pack" on a Wolf or Werewolf, it powers up Silverfur.

Any other cards act like that I didn't know about?

It is bugged
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    It is? The gather the pack effect doesn't seem illogical to me.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is? The gather the pack effect doesn't seem illogical to me.

No. But i faced it in qb and it gained stats every time i cast animists awakening. I think currently it is gaining stats for any spells played. I dont have it so cant test myself
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Ahh i did notice it triggering on nissa renewal, at the moment i got the health....

I'll test if it is all spells or if it considers us a wolf too icon_e_wink.gif
  • Buret0
    Bugged, but not completely.

I cast a murderer's axe on a caustic caterpie under my control and it didn't power up. Cast it on a werewolf, and it did. Cast reclaim on a caterpie, not boost. Cast it on a werewolf, and it boosted.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Buret0 wrote:
    Bugged, but not completely.

I cast a murderer's axe on a caustic caterpie under my control and it didn't power up. Cast it on a werewolf, and it did. Cast reclaim on a caterpie, not boost. Cast it on a werewolf, and it boosted.

It's supposed to buff itself if any of your wolves or werewolves are a target of a spell though.
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    It also buffs itself if the casted spell has no targets, it seems.
  • Buret0
    tm00 wrote:
    It also buffs itself if the casted spell has no targets, it seems.

Not always. For instance, it buffs if any non-targeted spell hits it (e.g. all creatures with 4 power or less cannot attack, it buffs if it has less than 5 power, does not buff if greater than 4.)
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    I've been using it pretty regularly in my Garruck and it only seems to be gather the pack and animist awaking that trigger it with out targeting.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975
    Abenjes wrote:
    I've been using it pretty regularly in my Garruck and it only seems to be gather the pack and animist awaking that trigger it with out targeting.
    After reading this I made a deck just to have some fun abusing it in story mode.

It worked for me with all spells that require not target I included.
    So probably it happens with almost all spells with no target.
  • Buret0
    Abenjes wrote:

I just doublecast animist's awakening and it didn't trigger either time. However, when cast with fewer than 8 green tiles, it does buff. Weird.
  • Buret0
    Morphis wrote:
    Abenjes wrote:
    After reading this I made a deck just to have some fun abusing it in story mode.

It worked for me with all spells that require not target I included.
    So probably it happens with almost all spells with no target.

Nissa Deck:

Silverfur Partisan - Only Creature
    Corrupted Grafstone - Two Green per turn
    Haunted Cloak - 1 cost spell, grants Vigilance, Trample, Haste, buffs +4/+4
    Nissa's Pilgrimage - Two Green per turn
    Zendikar's Roil - 4/4 Elemental per landfall green
    Natural Connection - Three Green gems, buffs +4/+4
    Swell of Growth - +2/+2 one turn, three Green gems, buffs +4/+4
    Gather the Pack - Grabs one or two Silverfurs, buffs +4/+4, burns next four Silverfurs in deck
    Canopy Vista - Creates White and Green gems
    Mantle of Webs - +1/+3, Reach, buffs +4/+4

I might swap out Canopy Vista for a Seek the Wilds. I don't have any of the top tier green cards that would allow me to draw faster, as that is the only liability to this deck. I can generally cast everything I have every turn and aside from a couple of creatures, there is nothing to help redraw except for Nature's Bounty.

Average costing cost is 6.2. : )
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Buret0 wrote:

Nissa Deck:

Silverfur Partisan - Only Creature
    Corrupted Grafstone - Two Green per turn
    Haunted Cloak - 1 cost spell, grants Vigilance, Trample, Haste, buffs +4/+4
    Nissa's Pilgrimage - Two Green per turn
    Zendikar's Roil - 4/4 Elemental per landfall green
    Natural Connection - Three Green gems, buffs +4/+4
    Swell of Growth - +2/+2 one turn, three Green gems, buffs +4/+4
    Gather the Pack - Grabs one or two Silverfurs, buffs +4/+4, burns next four Silverfurs in deck
    Canopy Vista - Creates White and Green gems
    Mantle of Webs - +1/+3, Reach, buffs +4/+4

I might swap out Canopy Vista for a Seek the Wilds. I don't have any of the top tier green cards that would allow me to draw faster, as that is the only liability to this deck. I can generally cast everything I have every turn and aside from a couple of creatures, there is nothing to help redraw except for Nature's Bounty.

Average costing cost is 6.2. : )

Do you have Weirding Wood from SoI? It can kinda help with ramp and card draw
  • Buret0
    Plastic wrote:
    Do you have Weirding Wood from SoI? It can kinda help with ramp and card draw

Nope. Best I've got for card draw in green is the SoI Werewolf Hermit of the Natternols. Not a bad addition to the deck, because it remains a wolf creature to be targeted by spells. At 18 cost, it would be the most expensive card in the deck by 5.
  • Buret0
    I would love to have a Kiora to build a green/blue version of this deck.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 wrote:
    I would love to have a Kiora to build a green/blue version of this deck.

Did it and love it. Even at level 30, Kiora is a powerhouse with Silverfur as the only creature.
  • Ravenclaw
    Ravenclaw Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    So it is bugged how? Every month-targeted spell buff the Silverfur 4/4?
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Here's my Kiora Silverfur deck. I got lucky in the green packs and unlocked Animist's Awakening which replaced Sylvan Scrying.

Creatures (1):
    Silverfur Partisan

Spells (6):
    Natural Connection
    Animist's Awakening
    Swell of Growth
    Gather the Pack
    Aim High
    Wild Instincts

Supports (3):
    Prism Array
    Trail of Evidence
    Part the Waterveil

All the spells will either target Silverfur Partisan and buff +4/+4 directly (SoG, GtP, AH, WI) or will create green gems to try to trigger cascades (NC and AA) and will also buff +4/+4 due to not having a target. Both Prism Array and Part the Waterveil are present to take benefit of the green cascades you will be creating. Zendicar's Roil is a cheaper and more consistent option if you have it. Prism Array and Trail of Evidence are both there to draw you more spells.