Shouldn't malevolent whispers give haste?

Options
andrewvanmarle
andrewvanmarle Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
edited October 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I used malevolent whispers and while it steals the creature it doesn't do anything because the spell doesn't give it haste. It's that intended?

Comments

• Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The paper card gives haste. Paper doesn't mean anything when it comes to PQ though. Have to ask the devs if they changed it on purpose or it was an oversight.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    Didn't even know the paper version, just thought about it from gameplay i had with it
  • alextfish
    Options
    Yes, it very clearly should. Every red temporary-steal card gives haste. Temporary-steal without haste is a blue effect, not a red effect.
  • Upstartes
    Options
    I have assumed that the missing haste is an oversight or bug. Without it, there is no reason that I can tell for giving the stolen creature a power buff.
  • alextfish
    Options
    This seems to be either fixed or inconsistent. I've had a couple of occasions where Malevolent Whispers was used on something like a Consul's Lieutenant and it managed to attack.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you steal a creature which doesnt have sunmoning sickness, then it still attacks. Otherwise yeah, the lack of haste sucks
  • Upstartes
    Options
    Nitymp wrote:
    If you steal a creature which doesnt have sunmoning sickness, then it still attacks. Otherwise yeah, the lack of haste sucks

I don't think that's the way the game has been behaving for me. When I steal things, they get summoning sickness, even if they have been on the board for several turns. That is always what happens when I play Exert Influence, and I believe that is what's happening when I play Malevolent Whispers.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    with exert it makes sense and is ok. The creature is yours now from that turn and acts like it just entered the battlefield... which it kind of did from your perspective.

its okay with malevolent whispers too.... there are two other cheaper red creature stealing spells that give haste. This one gives additional 2 attack instead of haste and its fine. No one said you HAVE to steal the creature the same turn it is played by the opponent. Wait a turn when it does not have summoning sickness and it attacks just fine with malevolent whispers
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Recorded in the Shadows Over Innistrad Buglist. Please head to that thread to like the original post and make it a Hot Topic. Thankyou.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    khurram wrote:
    with exert it makes sense and is ok. The creature is yours now from that turn and acts like it just entered the battlefield... which it kind of did from your perspective.

its okay with malevolent whispers too.... there are two other cheaper red creature stealing spells that give haste. This one gives additional 2 attack instead of haste and its fine. No one said you HAVE to steal the creature the same turn it is played by the opponent. Wait a turn when it does not have summoning sickness and it attacks just fine with malevolent whispers
    Actually it does - not-

The act of stealing gives it summoning sickness again. So if you dont steal a creature with hast you get a pretty paperweight......
  • Netatron
    Options
    The act of stealing gives it summoning sickness again.

Except sometimes it doesn't, because nothing is consistent in this game.
  • angelzpanik
    Options
    Actually, the creature stolen does not get summoning sickness with Malevolent Whispers. Only permanent steals give summoning sickness, at least in PQ.

Also, all the other cards I've run across (not many) that steal creatures (I don't have the perm steal ones just temp), have haste in the text of the card. Malevolent Whispers does not have this wording. I've always used it either when the creature is no longer disabled or to get something with reach or vigilance out of the way for my creatures, if the creature I want to steal is still disabled.

I HAVE noticed though, that some with haste added to the stolen creatures somehow make the creature retain haste after it is returned. I believe that to be an actual bug, and that's why I stopped using Turn Against. Maybe I shld make a bug report on that card? Not sure, since it simply says that the creature gains haste, not worded with the 'til the end of your turn'.