Underwhelming Cards

Options
mixed bag
mixed bag Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
edited December 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Demonic Pact

Back when origins was the only available set with supports like Starfield of the Nyx; Spy Thopter Network, etc... Demonic Pact was amazing.

Fast forward to today and with manared.pngmanagreen.pngmanawhite.pngmanablack.png having access to support destruction, this card no longer seems competitive in deck building.

Dev's (even if you read this) surely like many cards before you can rework this card to still have the same impact as the other mythics.

There are many other cards (mythics & rares) that seem way over the curve for their ability/draw back to be played and need to be revised.

Comments

• buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I seem to remember one of the devs made a post a while back about preferring to create new content over balancing old content. I wish I could find it so I could check exactly what it said, but I can't seem to find it now.
  • mixed bag
    Options
    That is a shame considering they have done it before with other cards.

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=46291 as an example.

Look at Skaab Goliath now. Add Prized Amalgam and now you have a reasonable deck. *untested*
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other cards that come to mind are

Invertor of truth
    World breaker
    Odric
    Depala
    ( she hasnt even been released yet but come on, take a look at her)
    Rashmi
    Grim flayer

Grafwidow (Mostly because delirium sucks, if delirium was more effective this would be great but currently its just a very expensive defender that cant kill even a single giant floating around in the current meta)

Void Winnower ( Doesnt really belong in this list but underwhelming still because it dies so quickly and doesnt seem worth the 25 mana investment... Should either have unblockable, ideally ... or trample ... or should cost less)

Dread Waters (it used to destroy the first card on triggering but since it was decided that it is against blue's theme, how about returning the first card to the top of the library.... yes, got that idea from one of the uncommons in KLD)

Emeria Shepherd ( too unreliable. Too -- unreliable)

Sire of Stagnation (I mean come on.... It just seems like an afterthought you guys had and it was an exclusive even.. People who know this card exists and what it exactly does raise your hands)

Sigarda, Heron's Grace ( This one i am quite fond of actually although she is underwhelming because of not giving herself hexproof.... I just want to know what does the "you" in that card's description means. Who is this "you" person that supposedly gains hexproof because my pws sure do not after casting her and neither does she herself)

Kozelik's Return (it is not as great as you guys said it would be, who wants to hog their hand with a bunch of cards that do just 2 damage to creatures, in the current meta it is obsolete and also it is redundant anyway.... because Harness the Storm!!)
  • mixed bag
    Options
    Inverter of Truth. I have had great success with combined with Oblivion Sower, Fathom Feeder, Bane of Bala Ged, + discard and destroy spells with ingest. On Liliana 1 with Dark Petition works incredibly well.

Sire of Stagnation. I agree with you. I personally don't use it as it is to unpredictable with no synergy except maybe Ob.

Void Winnower, Sigarda, Heron's Grace (only have this one), is really strong combined with mirrorpool. Especially if they cannot spell destroy. Most defending creatures cannot match them.

Kozelik's Return, I have not found use for it, but combined with Harness the Storm could be devastating.

I do not have the rest so I cannot comment.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I used to think Kozelik's Return was useless too.

But an unexpected attempt to build an eldrazi deck showed me how amazing it was in the very specific and narrow niche it carved for itself.

Pact is however, absolutely useless in the current meta with all the insane card draws, huge creatures and support destruction. It's worse than useless. A lot of the time, it actively loses you the game.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Really, almost any card that does X damage or -X/-X is out of date at this point, without sufficient replacements.

There is no way that stuff like Hazardous Conditions (every creature -2/-2 until your next turn), and Make Obsolete (every opponent creature -1/-1) should have even been printed.

I suspect that "Make Obsolete" was something of a droll developer joke, since it was made obsolete the minute it was designed that way.

Even cards like Exquisite Firecraft and Languish are useless most of the time, because a toughness of 6 is old news. So, we're supposed to look to new sets for replacement cards, right? Then why do we have Furious Reprisal? It does 2 damage, twice. Or Incendiary Sabotage, which lets you do an amazing 4 damage to each creature at the cost of one of your supports. Heck, for the price of both of them, you could....not kill the majority of creatures in the meta. Oh. Well then.

At least Firecraft can be hurled at a planeswalker's face.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    khurram wrote:
    Sigarda, Heron's Grace ( This one i am quite fond of actually although she is underwhelming because of not giving herself hexproof.... I just want to know what does the "you" in that card's description means. Who is this "you" person that supposedly gains hexproof because my pws sure do not after casting her and neither does she herself
    Think about it...
    Have you ever been hit while she was in the game?
    You have your answer. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Dr_Dobz
    Dr_Dobz Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    khurram wrote:
    Sigarda, Heron's Grace ( This one i am quite fond of actually although she is underwhelming because of not giving herself hexproof.... I just want to know what does the "you" in that card's description means. Who is this "you" person that supposedly gains hexproof because my pws sure do not after casting her and neither does she herself
    Think about it...
    Have you ever been hit while she was in the game?
    You have your answer. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

When I play MTGPQ while driving, I always make sure I have Sigarda in my deck for this very reason.
  • nerdstrap
    nerdstrap Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I guess you've never played a discard heavy deck that also has demonic pact... it's basically game over once the AI locks you down and it is free to do things while you pray to draw something you can cast the turn you draw it
  • XxDarklit3xX
    Options
    Mind's dilation. It's quite terrible 99% of the time. You can use it to tech against spell heavy OB decks but that a pretty poor reason to run that one card. I know not every mythic needs to be deploy or BTB but dilation is particularly bad.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    nerdstrap wrote:
    I guess you've never played a discard heavy deck that also has demonic pact... it's basically game over once the AI locks you down and it is free to do things while you pray to draw something you can cast the turn you draw it

I've played that deck myself. It's not longer a lock down with all the support removals, card draws and high mana gain planewalkers that have come out lately.

Getting it knocked off is almost game over for the demonic pact deck.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    Really, almost any card that does X damage or -X/-X is out of date at this point, without sufficient replacements.

There is no way that stuff like Hazardous Conditions (every creature -2/-2 until your next turn), and Make Obsolete (every opponent creature -1/-1) should have even been printed.

I suspect that "Make Obsolete" was something of a droll developer joke, since it was made obsolete the minute it was designed that way.

Even cards like Exquisite Firecraft and Languish are useless most of the time, because a toughness of 6 is old news. So, we're supposed to look to new sets for replacement cards, right? Then why do we have Furious Reprisal? It does 2 damage, twice. Or Incendiary Sabotage, which lets you do an amazing 4 damage to each creature at the cost of one of your supports. Heck, for the price of both of them, you could....not kill the majority of creatures in the meta. Oh. Well then.

At least Firecraft can be hurled at a planeswalker's face.

Can you imagine how awful this game would be if all the cards in it were playable and fun? Zulaport Cutthroat is the glue that's keeping MTGPQ together.
  • mixed bag
    Options
    Evolutionary Leap

I do not own this but I rarely see any opponent cast it.

Then I look at Altered Ego which is a rare, cheaper, dual colour and is not limited to the first creature. Given Evolutionary Leap can be continually activated because it is a support not a spell like Altered Ego, it still takes turns to cast this with an extra turn to possibly hit the activated gems.

It sounds like I am comparing apples to oranges but as a mythic I would expect more.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mixed bag wrote:
    Evolutionary Leap

Then I look at Altered Ego which is a rare, cheaper, dual colour and is not limited to the first creature. Given Evolutionary Leap can be continually activated because it is a support not a spell like Altered Ego, it still takes turns to cast this with an extra turn to possibly hit the activated gems.

It sounds like I am comparing apples to oranges but as a mythic I would expect more.

Have you ever played nissa's heroic encounter?

Reinforcing first creature is fine. You just have to choose the right first creature.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are plenty of underwhelming cards in the game. I don't consider evolutionary leap to be one of them. Heck, it even makes plated crusher dangerous if you have the right deck for it.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    mixed bag wrote:
    Evolutionary Leap

If there's one thing I credit to the recent events, it's teaching me the value of evolutionary leap.

It was the first mythic I opened, and I played it for a week before I gave up on it. Being forced to play it to do some objectives taught me that things have changed, and it's pretty awesome now.
  • Foznertep
    Foznertep Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'd say any card with Converge falls into this category. I found they really are not worth the hassle, especially with colourless mana being a rather common element of the game which is not at all utilised by them.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    mixed bag wrote:
    Evolutionary Leap

If there's one thing I credit to the recent events, it's teaching me the value of evolutionary leap.

It was the first mythic I opened, and I played it for a week before I gave up on it. Being forced to play it to do some objectives taught me that things have changed, and it's pretty awesome now.
    Well I thought the same then I realized it is activate 1.

Since when?!
    Cause I remember it being activate 2 and still not good enough for my taste.
    With activate 1 is basically screaming use only with Sp and nissa renewals.
  • PastrySpider
    PastrySpider Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Another few cards worth re-examining:

Crumble to Dust: Too niche because it only works on specific colors. Works badly with red planeswalkers since it actually encourages the AI to match gems you want. Would have been good it red had a use for void gems but really there wasn't one. Maybe make it a support and have it pop two white and blue gems each turn.

World breaker: So expensive and so underwhelming. Either make it stronger, cheaper or change its abilities. Maybe 15 mana to cast and on matching five it returns directly to play.

Radiant Flames: Sounds great (do 3x converge damage to target creature) but at 15 mana is way too expensive and now that red has access to actual kill spells which are cheaper (unlicensed disintegration), there is no reason to use this. This cards should do what is does in paper and deal damage to all creatures.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    Since when?!
    Cause I remember it being activate 2 and still not good enough for my taste.
    With activate 1 is basically screaming use only with Sp and nissa renewals.
    Evolutionary Leap is Activate 2 Green (I verified in game, too):

156397.png