Options

Comments

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    octal9 wrote:
    buscemi wrote:
    Hey, d'you know what is *definitely* a part of the User Interface, and has been requested endlessly by users since the earliest days of the game? Adding multiple deck save slots to planeswalkers.
    Speaking as someone literally writing a deck save feature, it's a bit more complex than that.

UI is, admittedly, a big part of it though. icon_e_smile.gif I went through no fewer than 16 iterations over the UI before I settled on one.

What, writing 10 numbers into a file, and reading them again? There's no need for encryption, what else is there to do that's hard?

Not even syncing to check with server or a checksum?

Actually, hacked decks with 8 deploys and 2 creatures do sound kind of funny to watch.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    buscemi wrote:
    octal9 wrote:
    buscemi wrote:
    Hey, d'you know what is *definitely* a part of the User Interface, and has been requested endlessly by users since the earliest days of the game? Adding multiple deck save slots to planeswalkers.
    Speaking as someone literally writing a deck save feature, it's a bit more complex than that.

UI is, admittedly, a big part of it though. icon_e_smile.gif I went through no fewer than 16 iterations over the UI before I settled on one.

What, writing 10 numbers into a file, and reading them again? There's no need for encryption, what else is there to do that's hard?

Not even syncing to check with server or a checksum?

Actually, hacked decks with 8 deploys and 2 creatures do sound kind of funny to watch.

Of course not. My collection on the server. The numbers stored in the file, whether that file is on my computer or on the server, would merely be offsets to cards within my collection; there'd be no way of adding cards to a deck I play that I don't own.

And you can't see any solution to the problem of the file being hacked to play with 8 copies of Deploy? Have you considered applying to Hibernum for a programming job?
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes there's a solution(I swear I gave 2 which you just said were unnecessary), hence it's not as simple as writing 10 numbers to a file and reading it.
    there'd be no way of adding cards to a deck I play that I don't own.

In the exact same way there's no way that someone can alter damage numbers right? Clearly we're all just overreacting to a group of players who do insane damage with caustic caterpillars.
  • buscemi
    Options
    Don't forget they need to turn on their computers, too.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    The numbers stored in the file, whether that file is on my computer or on the server, would merely be offsets to cards within my collection
    I'd prefer a deck save feature in which the saved deck doesn't change when I open new cards.
  • WiLDRAGE
    WiLDRAGE Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Volrak wrote:
    buscemi wrote:
    The numbers stored in the file, whether that file is on my computer or on the server, would merely be offsets to cards within my collection
    I'd prefer a deck save feature in which the saved deck doesn't change when I open new cards.
    Let's not be pedantic, obviously the numbers would be whatever database key is attached to a given card in a user's collection + the key of the Planeswalker the deck is for.

Creating, saving and loading the actual deck save file would not be hard, or time consuming to develop. Developing the UI for it, however, would be.
  • buscemi
    Options
    This thread is making me sad now. icon_e_sad.gif Do people really not realise how easy it would be to program a save deck function? I don't expect everyone to have worked in software development for many years like I did, but do they not teach you the basics of computer programming in schools these days?

As WiLDRAGE, says, the UI itself might take a some time to implement, but the fundamentals of file handling would not be an appreciable part of the job.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well this thread has taken a turn down random lane. Although I appreciate all of the bumps to the thread so more people chime in.

Meanwhile, 4 of 5 top slots in platinum NoP were taken by known/suspected cheaters.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I posted my own suggestion that addresses the top #1 & #2 issues in the suggestions subforum:
    viewtopic.php?f=36&t=57980&p=628489#p628489

I'd like to hear your own feedback, too.
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    to Mod:
    can we please pin this thread ?
  • buscemi
    Options
    to Mod:

Is there a point? We made it to 2 monthly development threads, and then they stopped.
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    to Mod:

Is there a point? We made it to 2 monthly development threads, and then they stopped.

Most importantly, sticky topics are usually addressed to the community. This one is addresses to the dev team. They don't need a sticky.
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Alve wrote:
    buscemi wrote:
    to Mod:

Most importantly, sticky topics are usually addressed to the community. This one is addresses to the dev team. They don't need a sticky.
    I thought it would be nice for community to come back to this topic in few weeks\months and see how many things have been addressed and fixed and how much this game have improved...

JUST KIDDING icon_twisted.gif
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    Apologies for the delay. The next installment of the Developer Thread is currently in review, and will be posted soon.
    I thought it would be nice for community to come back to this topic in few weeks\months and see how many things have been addressed and fixed and how much this game have improved...:
    Alve is certainly correct in that stickies are primarily for the community, and not for the developers, since they read the forums during their free time as well. Having said that though, if a bi-weekly / monthly Prioritization Thread is something the community would like, then a stickied post could be something I discuss with the team to bring more visibility to these issues.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    buscemi wrote:
    Apologies for the delay. The next installment of the Developer Thread is currently in review, and will be posted soon.

Glad to hear it! Thanks Brigby. Is it going to continue as a monthly thing?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Yup! Our plan is to try and have a Developer Thread for each month. (Give or take, depending on how busy the team is)
  • buscemi
    Options
    My plan is to be optimistic about the future of the game!
  • buscemi
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    buscemi wrote:

How's that coming along? Are you going to post the January monthly development thread this February?

In the meantime, who's spotted unneccesary rewrites to already working code in 1.10? I'll start... Day's Undoing has stopped working sometimes. Three times in one game it failed to cast. I think it's something to do with my opponent having no cards in hand, but I can't be sure.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    Brigby wrote:
    buscemi wrote:

How's that coming along? Are you going to post the January monthly development thread this February?

In the meantime, who's spotted unneccesary rewrites to already working code in 1.10? I'll start... Day's Undoing has stopped working sometimes. Three times in one game it failed to cast. I think it's something to do with my opponent having no cards in hand, but I can't be sure.
    The Day's Undoing bug has always been there. It fails to cast when it's the only card in your hand and the opponent has no cards in hand. It will still go through with the pop-up prompt but it will not cast, like Anguished Unmaking without valid targets.
  • buscemi
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    Brigby wrote:
    buscemi wrote:

The Day's Undoing bug has always been there. It fails to cast when it's the only card in your hand and the opponent has no cards in hand. It will still go through with the pop-up prompt but it will not cast, like Anguished Unmaking without valid targets.

Ah, that I did not know. Crazy how Day's was one of my first mythics and I've never come across this before. Thanks!

Any idea how long ago this bug was first reported to the dev team? Odd that they haven't fixed it by now.

New thread for the bug started here
    viewtopic.php?f=32&t=58809