keeping mechanics alive

Options
andrewvanmarle
andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
right now we have quite a list of set specific mechanics, that haven't been touched when that set was done. I think it's'a shame and feel there is a possibility to depart slightly from paper MTG and tie the sets in more.

What if in the coming sets we get a sprinkling of delirium, ally, madness, crew, energy etc

It wouldnt have to overflow the set, but a touch here and there would make it possible to mix sets more.

Comments

• Stormbringer0
    Stormbringer0 Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Alternatively, they could make sets rotate as playable formats and put them apart. Like a "chaos"-format, where every set is allowed and a "standard"-format, where just cards of the last two sets are allowed to play. Or they could make seperately "block"-formats, where just the cards of that block are allowed.

That won't give us new cards with old mechanics, but the ones we have already keep viable.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd like to see a reprint of the original Innistrad set. Arlinn Kord is sorely lacking a variety of werewolves to make her many, many abilities useful, and Liliana 2 has enough zombies to make roughly 1.3 different decks. The code for Transform cards already exists in the game so it'd be nice and easy to implement some new ones of those. And if they can get WOTC's permission, maybe they could modify some of the original cards to use the madness and delirium mechanics. It's not like we'd be permanently missing out on flashback coming to MTGPQ if it wasn't used, as there are other sets with flashback anyway.

If they can get the go ahead to put new mechanics into old sets, then I'd also like to see the implementation of Rise of the Eldrazi. Let's face it, void/ingest/process wasn't particularly well done the first time round, and so a second go around would allow some cards to be created which broadened out these mechanics and allowed old cards to become playable with new cards. Existing scion tokens could replace spawn tokens to increase synergy between the sets. Also, maybe, finally, Kozilek's Return might become a playable card icon_e_smile.gif
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Alternatively, they could make sets rotate as playable formats and put them apart. Like a "chaos"-format, where every set is allowed and a "standard"-format, where just cards of the last two sets are allowed to play. Or they could make seperately "block"-formats, where just the cards of that block are allowed.

That won't give us new cards with old mechanics, but the ones we have already keep viable.

I never liked the concept of block formats, it always felt like a bandaid when they implemented it in paper magic (yes i -am- that old). I like the idea that we can pick and choose from each set as we choose.

in the case of the kaladesh block i'd'imagine some dwarves being allies, some eatherborn having delirium and some eatherborn related spells might have madness (those would fit the backstory), maybe one of the demons would have emerge (like summoning them with the blood of the fallen....etc....

Reprints of innistrad and rise of the eldraze would be nice too, i agree!
  • Stormbringer0
    Stormbringer0 Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    They should make a MTGPQ-only set with cards from different paper sets and re-design them with the already existing abilities. That would fill gaps and gives us old, cool cards to play with. icon_e_smile.gif
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Madness was a returning mechanic when it was printed in Shadows over Innistrad, and so most of these mechanics have the potential to pop up again in later sets.

Allies, however, are a unique creature type to Zendikar for lore reasons. For that reason, getting a Puzzle Quest treatment for Zendikar and Worldwake would be appreciated. Unlike what was stated above, I think they can skip Rise of the Eldrazi as it wouldn't really add to the ingest mechanic. Eldrazi used annihilator that time and it was a massively overpowered mechanic people hate playing against.

Transform creatures have the potential of coming back as they were in the Origins set, though those cards were used as the planeswalkers in this game, and there are existing werewolf cards from prior to Innistrad, but they're old and don't transform, so I'd not expect any new ones and agree that getting a treatment of Innistrad and Dark Ascension would be helpful.

For crew, that was something brand new to Kaladesh. It's impossible to know if they will abandon it after this block or if they will continue it as a new artifact type later. Personally I think there are many cards from the past, like Runnaway Carriage, that could have been considered vehicles if that card type existed when it was being designed, and so it may stick around.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Unless I'm mistaken, they are a little bound by the paper version. Mechanics in paper cards are fairly limited to the sets they come from. There are more cards per set than get converted to this game, however. That would be your best bet (additional expansion of existing sets).

If you want to see them have creative license to completely overhaul cards and mix and match set mechanics I wouldn't hold my breath. We got a small glimpse of the bureaucratic approval that even a simple log image needed.
  • MTG_Mage
    MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Now that MTGPQ is caught up to the paper releases they will have more time to flesh out what has already been released.
    Of the 7 released sets, 3 of them were small releases and only a select few cards were made into MTGPQ cards. It would be awesome if a full release of the smaller sets were done as it would drastically increase pack sales.

They are only releasing major sets from Origins onward, and in the 3 blocks since Origins, 2 of them were revisits to a plane: ZendiKar and Innistrad. It would be great if they went and made a reprint set from the original Zendikar and Innistrad sets since they would align nicely with the current cards.
  • buscemi
    Options
    James13 wrote:
    Unless I'm mistaken, they are a little bound by the paper version. Mechanics in paper cards are fairly limited to the sets they come from.

You say that, but they kept Landfall around for SOI and EMN in MTGPQ...
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    buscemi wrote:

I said fairly limited. Not universally. icon_lol.gif The main point being that they appear to adhere to WotC card design as a template. I do believe they don't have free reign.
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Card mechanics are one thing, but what about game mechanics?

Runes are useless past a certain point and simply accumulate.

Colour mastery stops at the 250 point platinum level, even though the potential points per colour are well over 1,300
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    James13 wrote:
    buscemi wrote:

I said fairly limited. Not universally. icon_lol.gif The main point being that they appear to adhere to WotC card design as a template. I do believe they don't have free reign.

Depending on the mechanics that appear in future sets, it's possible they can have future mechanics create void gems, even if they don't actually have the ingest keyword. I think doing something like that would be a good way to add relevance and synergy with older sets.
  • buscemi
    Options
    Ooh, here's a good one... make Process work on Energized gems. I mean, why not?
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    Ooh, here's a good one... make Process work on Energized gems. I mean, why not?

Process? what's that? icon_lol.gif