Coalition %Life events

Options
buscemi
buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
Anyone remember when Avacyn's Madness came out? That was exciting, wasn't it? All the members of your coalition banding together to defeat a common foe.

Sadly the veneer of originality didn't last any time at all. Your coalition doesn't actually do anything together, since there is one game-wide big boss, and everyone in the game is chipping away at their life total. We thought it would be like your coalition going on a raid in WoW... actually it was like every single player in WoW going on the same raid, which is somewhat less engaging.

Wouldn't it be great if an event actually worked like a raid?

In the meantime: couldya hurry up with those deck save slots? Swapping decks around for overlapping events sure is tedious. It might not be quite so bad if one of the events didn't require a different deck build for every game in every node. Or perhaps if a %life event is going to overrun, just delay the next event by a day or so? It'd mean giving out less prizes. You guys LIKE giving out less prizes.

Comments

• Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I thought it was going to be like some of the other Puzzle Quest games where you have 5 people battling an insanely OP boss with high health and you had a limited time between the 5 of you to kill it on multiple tries. You were guaranteed to lose the match, but the amount of HP you managed to reduce it by within your match was permanent and shared between the mini-raid.

THIS is what these coalition type events should be. Set time limit, which coalition can do the most damage (throw in some countdown timers of course). Not the bore-fest that it is now.
  • buscemi
    Options
    Nitymp wrote:
    I thought it was going to be like some of the other Puzzle Quest games where you have 5 people battling an insanely OP boss with high health and you had a limited time between the 5 of you to kill it on multiple tries. You were guaranteed to lose the match, but the amount of HP you managed to reduce it by within your match was permanent and shared between the mini-raid.

Mind you, they can't really make an event like that any more, now that you can hit him with a 1,610,612,736 power Electrostatic Pumeller.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    Nitymp wrote:

Mind you, they can't really make an event like that any more, now that you can hit him with a 1,610,612,736 power Electrostatic Pumeller.

Well, maybe a rethink on card balance and mechanics should be had huh?
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    One idea I had was a multi pathway towards a raid boss. Every coalition starts off from a common node. The first node will lead to a second node and so on until a node with multiple branches. From this branch node, the coalition can choose to proceed onto a path which ultimately will lead to a raid boss. This would require everyone's participation in a coalition group.

An example just for better illustration. From the 1st branch node, you can choose the route of Earth or the route of fire. If your coalition chooses route of Earth, you'll be meeting a lot of Planewalkers made of other players monogreen deck. If you choose route of fire, you'll face off a lot of mono red deck and so on. There will be multiple branch nodes but once you reach the ultimate raid boss, everyone needs to contribute at least one attempt to have a chance to open a mystery box of random cards. For those who didn't try, they won't get that special mystery box. That would solve the issue of a strong player taking down the raid boss by himself.
    Pathway against dual element nodes will be a shorter path but the Planewalkers encountered would be harder. Everyone can contribute and number of attempts are limited per person. Planning is required and the completion reward should be awesome.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Extension to my previous idea.

Tier 1 - Node #1 - 5 battles

Tier 2 - Node #2, Node #3, Node #4
    Node #2 - Mono red - 12 battles to unlock Node #2-1&2-2.
    Node #3 - Mono green - 12 battles to unlock
    Node #3-1&3-2.
    Node #4 - Red and Green - 12 battles to unlock Node #4-1&4-2.

Tier 3 - Node #2-1, Node #2-2, Node #3-1,Node #3-2, Node #4-1, Node #4-2
    Node #2-1: Red Raid boss #1 - 100k HP, level 300 (progression reward: red package )
    Node #2-2: Random - 10 battles to unlock Node #5.

Node #3-1: Green Raid boss #1 - 100k HP, level 300 (progression reward: green package)
    Node #3-2: Random - 10 battles to unlock Node #6.

Node #4-1: Green & Red Raid boss #1 - 250k HP, level 400 (progression reward: green package, red package)
    Node #4-2: Random - 10 battles to unlock Node #7.

The above would be day 1. Each coalition member is given 3 attempts. One attempt replenish every 6 hours. Attempts can be carried forward to day 2. Day 2 will be another 3 tiers of different elements.
    Event last 5 days. The last day will be full of raid bosses of different tiers, giving different reward packages. Each coalition member who manage to fight the raid boss gains a chance to get a rare/mythic card drop after defeating it. If 20 players tried the raid boss, perhaps 5 of them would get a rare card. If only one player tried the raid boss and defeats it, there's a chance the player will get a rare card but may also end up with no drop. Once raid boss is defeated, progression reward package is guaranteed.

I think something like the above would require more teamwork and planning. The really difficult fights would be raid bosses and strong players should reserve their attempts for those. It's really up to Hibernum to set the difficulty and to explore how to make it interesting and fun.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,229 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the way you think, Astralwind. I particularly like the concept of choosing what reward to target with your coalition.
  • buscemi
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    In the meantime: couldya hurry up with those deck save slots? Swapping decks around for overlapping events sure is tedious. It might not be quite so bad if one of the events didn't require a different deck build for every game in every node. Or perhaps if a %life event is going to overrun, just delay the next event by a day or so? It'd mean giving out less prizes. You guys LIKE giving out less prizes.

Bump for relevance this weekend... I'm assuming RatC is going to overrun, what with us being unable to score on one of the nodes.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    buscemi wrote:

Bump for relevance this weekend... I'm assuming RatC is going to overrun, what with us being unable to score on one of the nodes.
    It auto-ends 2 hours before the next event starts regardless of the % (this happened on the first one). I wish they'd stop making this type of % health event at all.
  • buscemi
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    buscemi wrote:
    buscemi wrote:

It auto-ends 2 hours before the next event starts regardless of the % (this happened on the first one). I wish they'd stop making this type of % health event at all.

... Didn't the last RatC overrun?
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    buscemi wrote:

It sometimes overlaps with individual events, but last time it was ended 2h before the next coalition to allow for roster swaps.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    majincob wrote:
    buscemi wrote:
    buscemi wrote:

Ah, yes, I was talking about not overlapping with the next coalition event. I don't bother with the individual events unless I'm feeling bored, especially if I have to swap decklists between two concurrent events.