Bored with the Event

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
Very bored with the WRB Event. It doesn't help that I can't play against Black or Red decks without risking a lockup, so there's the monotony of mono-white compounded with the extended time it takes to play a safe opponent.

And then the vast majority of my games are just sitting around with cards in my hand full of mana, waiting to draw my objective completing cards. Even Ob Nixilis, who you'd think would be able to draw anything he wanted pretty quickly, is a slog. I'm throwing away Ruinous Paths full of mana just to create room in my hand to draw cards in the hope that I'll get ones that fulfil the objectives.

Comments

• Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Build a deck to do the event, not remove 1-2 cards from your existing one to replace with cards to do objectives. The deck will not have synergy, and will inevitably be about waiting to draw those cards.

Especially for black and red. Vampire and werewolf decks are fun. If you're not doing theme decks, you're basically complaining that cycling is slow when you chose to use the bike instead of a car.
  • shteev
    Options
    Th only problem with that is that most vampire cards suck, most horror cards suck, most werewolf cards suck, most transform cards suck (or don't work), most spirit cards suck, and most Delirium cards suck.

I know people who have literally no Madness cards in black so they can't even get the black Madness objective. True, they could play Sarkhan, but they can't afford him, and he isn't available to buy anyway.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Th only problem with that is that most vampire cards suck, most horror cards suck, most werewolf cards suck, most transform cards suck (or don't work), most spirit cards suck, and most Delirium cards suck.

I know people who have literally no Madness cards in black so they can't even get the black Madness objective. True, they could play Sarkhan, but they can't afford him, and he isn't available to buy anyway.

The soi event is basically a block tournament.

What you're doing is complaining that you can't complete the objectives efficiently with a deck not designed to complete objectives.

I know I had great fun playing my werewolf and vampire decks. 5th place in my platinum bracket was about 20+ points from the max, so you could literally not do any madness and still comfortably place in top 5. I didn't do every madness(you're right, black has limited madness cards) and still easily held top 5.

If your deck was themed correctly in the first place, your vampires and werewolves would be cast instead of storing cards in hand till you could draw that one card you put in just for the objective. You would have fun, not die of boredom waiting. You made a deck choice to not play the theme, and then complain about the theme being boring for you.

By the way, you're leaping at shadows that don't exist. I played against many black decks, and not surprisingly... Decks trying to do vampire objectives don't put in zombies that lock the game. Try it next soi event. I would still avoid red though. Too many problems.
  • shteev
    Options
    Well, nothing you've said changes my mind, so this feedback still stands.

I'd go into detail but my time is more valuable than that.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev wrote:

No madness no delirum cards here, despite all them pack opened since release.
    I just try to get the 150 total wins and nothing further.
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    shteev wrote:

The soi event is basically a block tournament.

What you're doing is complaining that you can't complete the objectives efficiently with a deck not designed to complete objectives.

I know I had great fun playing my werewolf and vampire decks. 5th place in my platinum bracket was about 20+ points from the max, so you could literally not do any madness and still comfortably place in top 5. I didn't do every madness(you're right, black has limited madness cards) and still easily held top 5.

If your deck was themed correctly in the first place, your vampires and werewolves would be cast instead of storing cards in hand till you could draw that one card you put in just for the objective. You would have fun, not die of boredom waiting. You made a deck choice to not play the theme, and then complain about the theme being boring for you.

By the way, you're leaping at shadows that don't exist. I played against many black decks, and not surprisingly... Decks trying to do vampire objectives don't put in zombies that lock the game. Try it next soi event. I would still avoid red though. Too many problems.

I agree with the original poster. I bought a big box and have opened multiple fat packs of SOI and I have exactly 1 black madness card. To complete the madness objective I have to cycle through until I get that one card twice. The vampire and horror part is not an issue for black, there are plenty of cards across several sets that will fulfill that objective but for madness, not so much. Also the previous go around when blue was horrors and vampires was stupid, those are not appropriate creature types for blue.

The 1 ribbon objectives are difficult to build for because there just aren't enough cards with them available. Transform seems a bit better than the others since there are more common cards with it than for the other keywords it seems.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    nexus13 wrote:
    <snip> Also the previous go around when blue was horrors and vampires was stupid, those are not appropriate creature types for blue.

They created objectives so that they could reuse them with different colors.
    nexus13 wrote:
    The 1 ribbon objectives are difficult to build for because there just aren't enough cards with them available. Transform seems a bit better than the others since there are more common cards with it than for the other keywords it seems.

Maybe they only give 1 ribbon because they are harder to complete, so not quite as crucial.

There is only two madness cards in black (probably because black can abuse madness the most with Lilliana) and one is rare, so that one was challenging unless you played Sarkhan with red madness cards.