BabarDaGobar's Guide to Event Objectives

Options
babar3355
babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
First off, thanks for the feedback recently concerning upcoming content. It is great that lines of communication are seemingly more open now, and I apologize in advance for all the trolls. icon_mrgreen.gif I want to give some ideas around event objectives that I think will enhance the enjoyment of the game, increase player count, and ultimately lead to higher ratings, more sales and a better outcome for D3.

The reason the community hated the Emrakul event is not because it was too difficult, but because it was so tedious. The objectives were created to separate the pack from each other, which is smart considering the recent NoP event where at least 35 people had perfect scores. I agree that it is frustrating when the game turns into a race and multiple people get perfect scores every event, so additional objectives should be hard. However, if you tell the community to summon 64 eldrazi, 12 werewolves, and cast 100 spells we will figure out how to do so, and we will hate every moment of the grind. A superior way to do this is to make objectives that are both challenging and that don't rely on constant stalling techniques.

For instance: Summon only eldrazi creatures +2 ribbons, win the game within 8 rounds +1 ribbon - Players seek to accomplish both objectives but if geared properly will really enhance the game flow and be difficult to accomplish. Not only that, but it would encourage the community to use Ulamog, Kozilek and Emrakul rather than punishing us for using our best cards because we will win too fast before hitting our stall objective.

The crux of it is that you should pair an objective that seeks a stall with an objective that punishes a stall.

Summon 8 allies, cast 0 spells
Summon 6 humans, take less than 25 damage
Summon 4 oozes?, don't destroy any supports
Cast no creatures (only recursion, Ob ult, direct damage, etc), break less than 25 green gems

Just spit balling here, but I am sure the community would help come up with some great solutions if you asked us icon_e_biggrin.gif

The objectives in Avacyn's madness and story mode are much more fun in general, although I don't think you need them to be mutually exclusive as often. Killing either 3 or less or 5 or more creatures just tends to make it easy to get either or but impossible to get both.

Incidentally, I really liked the Halloween event where members had to rush zombies out before an enraged clock hit. However, I am not a fan of the **** event, where I am sitting on a full hand of removal stalling for my only madness card to cycle back through, when I get pummeled by a mirrorpooled Gaea Revenge in enraged mode. Stalling endlessly, and losing games do to it (or winning and not getting top 5 because you didn't meet 1 objective) is not particularly fun. It makes the game feel like work, which should not be the point.

Finally, I think diversifying the "tribes" in objectives would be a lot of fun. I could make a really fun humans or ally's deck but the only reason to do so is for mastery or just because. Encouraging us to dive into the different tribes seems like an easy thing to do that would add a lot more variety.

Comments

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It would be hilarious if the events were split into polar opposite objectives, and these decks were pit against each other as a format.

Player 1 objectives:
    Lose less than 3 creatures
    Cast at least 8 spells

Player 2 objectives:
    Kill at least 3 opponent creatures
    End the game in 10 turns.

So not only are the personal objectives somewhat conflicting, the opponent deck is designed to make you fail your objectives.