edited February 2017 in MtGPQ Events
Exquisite Archangel.

Win the Battle in 4 Rounds.

Really 300+ hp 4 rounds?

Comments

• KragHavok
    KragHavok Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Plus she has a 30 hp heal ability. They really didn't think some of these through.
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Maybe win with more than 15 rounds or something.

4 is stupid.

I mean do those developers play test this before they release these things. Kind of a big GLARING issue.

Moderator edit: removed insults and offensive language. Further posts of this sort will result in forum bans. Please see the forum rules. -DayvBang
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Believe it or not, we do test these objectives.

It's not unwinnable. Very difficult, yes. Maybe a bit too difficult, yes.

Unwinnable? No. I have done it myself.

It's important to note that not all objectives and encounters will be beatable by all players. A lot depends on your available cards, deck building, planeswalker, etc.
  • Magog
    Magog Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm very curious JC, how many ways have you personally won on that node, and what decks were you using?

The only solution I can see to get the secondary objectives involves Gonti's Aether Heart) and Electrostatic Pummeler. And if that's the only way then it's a very badly designed node. Pay to get a chance to get an OP card to win.

Heck, with the loyalty power I think my only shot at even winning is a creature less Ob Nix. Otherwise it'll steal my zombies, Olivia, Desolation Twin...
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is the kind of game you want to make, then, is it? I see.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Designing an objective that deliberately excludes 95% of the playing population because they don't have particular combos of overpowered cards is a really discouraging direction to take this game.

Objectives should be based on skill and deckbuilding, not what awesome mythics you have.
  • jetnoctis
    jetnoctis Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options

It's important to note that not all objectives and encounters will be beatable by all players. A lot depends on your available cards, deck building, planeswalker, etc.

Worryingly, more and more of the new objectives in this game are increasingly dependent on luck , regardless of how good your collection is. It is becoming the number 1 factor that determines whether you get the objective or not. I feel like we're having the effect of our skill diminished in order to compensate for the shortcomings of the AI. This is the type of situation which causes players to feel **** about the game.
  • Ironwolf
    Ironwolf Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Please post a video of getting that objective (win in 4 rounds) after the event if you please.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Video or it didn't happen.

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=59137
  • gruntface
    gruntface Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options

I understand that you would be unlikely to share decks at this point but could you confirm whether the gonti heart card was part of the strategy?

I ask because even people who have this card (and therefore have little reason to see it nerfed) are stating it is clearly busted.

If not, that honestly makes me feel a little better about my own inadequacies (of which there are many) but if so it is extremely concerning that a card that effectively breaks the game is a cornerstone of a strategy to legitimately earn ribbons and therefore not on the list of cards to review. It would be reassuring to know that there are checks and balances for cards and combos that could impact the meta game.

I would like to reiterate that we like challenges. Challenges are right. Challenges are, for want of a better word, good.

Side note: I hope we can see some interaction on this topic and some engagement with the player base.

Thanks.
  • Shadoze
    Shadoze Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This event as a whole needs some serious tweeks. It is total **** that you have to have the perfect deck, the perfect draws, and the perfect cascades to win! If this is what the game has come down to then you are going to lose a lot of players (and their money). Revolting.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    Designing an objective that deliberately excludes 95% of the playing population because they don't have particular combos of overpowered cards is a really discouraging direction to take this game.

Objectives should be based on skill and deckbuilding, not what awesome mythics you have.

I feel discouraged.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you've designed it so you can't win unless you have the right collection of mythic rare and/or event exclusive cards, then that's really **** design and you should be ashamed of yourself.

It's merely perpetuating the cycle of those on top get more free powerful cards while those without remain unable to get them. Equality of opportunity should be the standard for progression rewards if you can build a good deck and play well.
  • DragonSorcerer
    DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options

Do you test with an a real player's deck or do you have access to EVERY card ?
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SO BASICALLY IM RIGHT.

YOU DON'T PLAY TEST !

You must be play testing with combos and multiple extra goes in one turn. I mean you need large loyalty to get certain PW bonuses to make ur creatures bigger....

Give me your warnings.... but im right.

I'd be ashamed if i was a "play tester" and passed this as playable.
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jetnoctis wrote:

Worryingly, more and more of the new objectives in this game are increasingly dependent on luck , regardless of how good your collection is. It is becoming the number 1 factor that determines whether you get the objective or not. I feel like we're having the effect of our skill diminished in order to compensate for the shortcomings of the AI. This is the type of situation which causes players to feel **** about the game.
    agree, objectives like this or red NOP which are purely luck based is the main reason why people want to leave this game
    How can I enjoy game which depends on how lucky you are
    ofcourse its possible with any character to beat in 4 turns, all you need is endless 5 match cascade , and at least one card draw card. this combination will let you place limitless critters
    Is it possible ? well there is a 0.0001 for this to happen but its still a chance therefore its not IMpossible QC passed 100% lol

Remember good old days of avacyn event when we were enjoying this game ? icon_e_confused.gif

I've got a feeling that this is a deliberate design and there is nothing"broken" in this picture
    cgnzPhl.png
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    I feel discouraged.

Holy cow. I've never seen him this angry.
  • Pestilence
    Pestilence Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have been playing this game from the beginning and put up with alot of frustration from bugs, cheaters, and lack of communication from devs but this is a whole new level of suck. I despise the direction this game is heading. I love playing competitively but these impossible to achieve objectives are killing the fun.
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The problem with this is not that it isn't winnable. The problem is that it shouldn't be winnable.

If there's combos which are capable of achieving this objective, especially if reliably, then it's simply a very poor reflection on card balance. It's something to be ashamed of not something to rub in everyone's faces with this objective.
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    We will look at the stats and re-evaluate the balancing for this speed objective specifically. I understand that it is most likely overtuned and while it is possible it is very difficult to achieve.

As for my other comment, I think I should rephrase it to make it a bit clearer.

Events like this are made to be fun for all levels of players, from beginners to end-game players who have a high understanding of the game. As such, the encounters vary in difficulty.

We purposefully balanced this event so the first encounters are easier than they were before so they are more accessible, while the last encounters are harder than before so that the end-game players also are challenged and do not steamroll the entire event. The difficulty being higher contributes to that and makes you rethink your decks and how you approach combat. Unlike PvP where you are always on equal ground in terms of mana gains, hp and abilities, in PvE we can design encounters that have a very different challenge to them.

If I can say one thing a bit more personally, it's this. The usual philosophy I have when designing and balancing events is usually to try and make them harder than what I usually think. The logic behind that is that there obviously are better players than me, who find card combinations we haven't thought of and who are extremely good at exploiting certain aspects of the game. This is 100% to be expected, and I want some of these encounters to be challenging for even our strongest players. Beating everything easily is really the opposite of fun.

I hope this clears things up, but I will seriously look into the speed objective. Like I said, I achieved it, but it was pretty hard, and I most likely went at it a bit too harsh this time around. The beauty of the game is that we are able to fix our mistakes in the upcoming times this event will run.