DP Daily and 4 star transition - An idea

Options
Groundwork first. DP Daily is designed to facilitate the transition to 3 star characters and is intended for players who level 94s and are working on building the 3 star characters. It is designed to be challenging, but beatable for this level of player.

A 4 star cover in DP Daily therefore should be for a player with multiple 13 cover 3 stars and with multiple characters at level 150 or higher. For this player, it should be challenging, but beatable.

My idea:

For each 5 day DP week, there should be 1 4star cover available, which should be added to the tokens at a small percentage (between 0.2 and 0.5%). The cover would be available in 2 parts.

First part (gating): Each day there will be a 6th node, that will only unlock once you have scored 15,000 points for the day. Prize for beating this node is a taquito.

Second part: On the 5th day, there is a 7th node that will only unlock if you have 5 taquitos from that week. Prize for this node is the 4 star cover.

These nodes should be much more challenging to reflect the stronger level of roster that is working on the 4star transition. Maybe 6 waves per node, with enemy strength of 200 to 250. This should be a prize that is achievable, but not easy for an endgame 3 star player.

Just my thoughts, constructive feedback, as always, is appreciated.

Comments

• hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So, 9 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png characters (leaving out devil dino) is 27 covers, every 5th day, that works out to 135 days to rotate each existing cover, or 4.5 months.

Assuming someone had 1 cover of each 4*, that'd take them 540 days (4 times around) to get 12 covers via DPDQ alone.

This sounds crazy reasonable, it'll never happen. I like it though.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yep, I too like the idea but I won't hold my breath of anything that similar occurring. Love to be proved wrong though icon_e_wink.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    So, 9 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png characters (leaving out devil dino) is 27 covers, every 5th day, that works out to 135 days to rotate each existing cover, or 4.5 months.

Assuming someone had 1 cover of each 4*, that'd take them 540 days (4 times around) to get 12 covers via DPDQ alone.

That's assuming no new 4* introduced over the next 18 months (spoiler, there will be). I agree it's extremely reasonable but I doubt it'll happen. And there would be mass complaining about it being too hard and unfair.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Well, the real purpose of this would be letting people get their first cover for each 4* power, letting them buy up the rest. No one would be expecting to fully cover a 4* VI this system.

Overall, I really like this idea. But I would add that each taquito node should have the 4* as an essential. This is for helping people cover 4*s they already have, not to let people get their first 4* covers.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Overall, I really like this idea. But I would add that each taquito node should have the 4* as an essential. This is for helping people cover 4*s they already have, not to let people get their first 4* covers.

I thought about that but didn't want to muddy the initial waters. My opinion would be that the taquitos can be won by anyone who clears 15,000 that day, but that the final 4star node would require having the character already.

Why? Because someone can use the 10 taco tokens that week to draw their first cover and it would really suck to get the opportunity mid-week but already be shut out because you couldn't even try the taquito on day one.

Maybe that means there should be a double node for the 4star cover - 1 essential (no wave) and 1 for the cover. This would mean a double gate for the 4star cover, but that still seems reasonable. It should be harder to get.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Man, don't know if I could necessarily even beat that yet (166 cap 3/5/5, 153 BP 5/3/4, currently saving up the 38k Iso-8 to raise my 3/3/4 GSBW to 140), but it'd be the best thing ever. I have seven of the nine four stars, missing prof x and StarLord. But covers are hard to come by. I'm not willing to pay enough to raise them all the way up. But I might be willing to drop a little extra to buy supplemental covers if I have a guaranteed way of earning the rest.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The only problem i can see with this is that players may not be able to get enough of those taquitos each week to enter the 4* node if they happen to be missing an essential character for a specific DPD event...

Although maybe you intended it to be this way so it was more of an end game for the higher leveled vets, rather than the middle - lower tier players...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm quite a ways from being ready for this (only 1 maxed and 2 other lower/mid tiers covered), but any expansion or adding to of ddq, I'm all for. it is the single best thing that's been implemented in the game since I started playing last thanksgiving. r75 comes a close second for me. as long as they don't jack with the *** part that is there, I'm all for it.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Good idea but I would also like that the particular 4* is required to play the gate nodes (or the final node) for the next cover for that 4*
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    SirPhobos wrote:
    That's assuming no new 4* introduced over the next 18 months (spoiler, there will be). I agree it's extremely reasonable but I doubt it'll happen. And there would be mass complaining about it being too hard and unfair.

I didn't think anyone would assume that there would be no more 4* characters, I was just working with the numbers we have right now.
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Well, the real purpose of this would be letting people get their first cover for each 4* power, letting them buy up the rest. No one would be expecting to fully cover a 4* VI this system.

Thanks for helping make my point, which is that D3 doesn't have to worry about this method being an effective way to build 4*. It will either help players complete or get missing covers.

I'm not a whale, but I'd consider buying a cover or two if I was closer to my preferred build. I doubt anything like this will happen though. My suspicion is that D3 likes the 4* tier being the whale tier. It gives a feeling of exclusivity without being at a power level that disrupts the game completely.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My biggest issue is this.. life happens.. and people miss days. So with this format, we are penalizing someone for taking a day off.

I like the format, but i think it should be tweaked a little, so people can miss a day and still have a chance. Make it a 7 day node, but only takes 5 taquitos to open, this way, daily players can have a couple extra days to try and beat the board if they fail a few times, and semi-retired or just plain busy people still have a shot
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We need Chimichangas as the reward (instead of taquitos). icon_e_smile.gif

I had been thinking about this, another way could go like this:

~120+ day rotation (all three covers) for 3*, you get Tacos.
    10 day rotation for 4*, same DDQ as we currently have (not terrible difficulty, but you DO need required character, you get Chimichangas.)
    120+ day rotation for 3*.

--this gets you active/stockpiled Chimichangas, so you can only hoard half of them for a specific character. But it won't be that many ever, you'd have 10 tokens for any given character 120+ days from now.
    --It wouldn't "flood the market" with 4* covers. At only 10 days you get first of every cover this time - but by next time, there would be 14-15 4*'s.
    --It would help transition, but wouldn't finish it. It would take 360 days to get one of every 4* cover: if there were zero more 3* (increasing time between Chimichangas) and zero more 4*'s (increasing time to get all the covers).
    --By helping but not finishing, it would get D3 more money. I keep mentioning that folks can't buy covers unless they get covers the first time.
    --Difficulty isn't crazy, so the 2* folks can work on 4* rosters (assuming they have required character).
    --Because character is still required, the season rewards and introduction event will still be very important.
  • SnowcaTT
    Options
    papa07 wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

I thought about that but didn't want to muddy the initial waters. My opinion would be that the taquitos can be won by anyone who clears 15,000 that day, but that the final 4star node would require having the character already.

Why? Because someone can use the 10 taco tokens that week to draw their first cover and it would really suck to get the opportunity mid-week but already be shut out because you couldn't even try the taquito on day one.

Maybe that means there should be a double node for the 4star cover - 1 essential (no wave) and 1 for the cover. This would mean a double gate for the 4star cover, but that still seems reasonable. It should be harder to get.

One part I like in your version over mine is this - the "gating" means you have to be well into 3* transition, but you don't have to necessarily have the 4*. These are impossible to pull and aren't rewarded again after first season/introduction reward until you are a heavy.

One part I didn't like is the "significantly harder part". One reason DDQ is fun is it is pretty easy, fast, and relaxing. It can be done even by 2* transitioners. If 4*'s are only supposed to be slightly better than 3*'s, the ways to get them should only be slightly harder than getting 3* (everywhere in the game, but here would be a start).

Also, with resources so expensive to level them, (and now apparently they are essentials?) it would be good to get them into the hands of players early on, so they can work on leveling them and getting more (likely by paying).
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    --By helping but not finishing, it would get D3 more money. I keep mentioning that folks can't buy covers unless they get covers the first time.

^ this.

About to get my first blade green from DPD.. and this is one i would spend money to up, same with red for IMHB (at 0/2/2)...

that first cover in each color is the only way you know what it is like to play it, and helps us decide where to put our HP.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    It would be really nice if the devs gave us a general idea of what they consider the 4* transition to be. I think that the 540 days (intentionally erroneously assuming no new 4*s in that time) is on the long side of reasonable, but doable. Speed it up by buying some covers if you arent willing to wait.

Id like to see a 6th node offering chimichangas, which include (slightly) buffed odds of a 4* with gating to those who finish the 15k progression. I think there also needs to be gating of the 4* cover, just not via requiring one cover. Ideally, to me, you could redeem 5 chimichangas for access to the 4* node, which could be a 3 wave lvl 180 using a char/goon/char rotation, but this would require a new mechanic so its out.....
  • Unknown
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

^ this.

About to get my first blade green from DPD.. and this is one i would spend money to up, same with red for IMHB (at 0/2/2)...

that first cover in each color is the only way you know what it is like to play it, and helps us decide where to put our HP.

If they redid all the pricing on covers and maybe made it a 1 time high fee for any cover you don't have yet, and then reduce it by half or something for covers you already have it would probably generate a lot more cover sales.

So for example:

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png you don't have, 3000 HP
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png you do have, 1500 HP

Actually don't do that I need my money for 20 piece nuggets... icon_e_surprised.gif
  • SnowcaTT
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:
    It would be really nice if the devs gave us a general idea of what they consider the 4* transition to be. I think that the 540 days (intentionally erroneously assuming no new 4*s in that time) is on the long side of reasonable, but doable. Speed it up by buying some covers if you arent willing to wait.

Id like to see a 6th node offering chimichangas, which include (slightly) buffed odds of a 4* with gating to those who finish the 15k progression. I think there also needs to be gating of the 4* cover, just not via requiring one cover. Ideally, to me, you could redeem 5 chimichangas for access to the 4* node, which could be a 3 wave lvl 180 using a char/goon/char rotation, but this would require a new mechanic so its out.....

You could go off of this - five (10?) tacos and unlock the 4* node once a week. So if you got every taco and cashed them in you lose out on 3* chance and HP chance, but I'd gladly pay 10 chances for 3* to open the 4* guaranteed node once every other week.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:

You could go off of this - five (10?) tacos and unlock the 4* node once a week. So if you got every taco and cashed them in you lose out on 3* chance and HP chance, but I'd gladly pay 10 chances for 3* to open the 4* guaranteed node once every other week.

Part of the reason I like that is it does allow people who dont roster every 3* access as well. They just have to wait longer to get the chance. Like you save 4 chimichangas from one week but cant get the 5th, so you get one the next week then have access. As long as the node is only playable once, you cant get chimichanga stockpiling, and people who dont need the 4* could cash it in....for iso pulls.