Suggestions for the Mobile User Interface (IMG)

shatland
shatland Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
edited September 2016 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
hello all!
this is my first new thread, but i've compiled an image which includes some tweaks and additions to the user interface i'd like you all to check out. i know this should probably be posted in "suggestions/feedback" but i'm afraid it won't get much attention there. without further ado...

GUIexp2.jpg

so there is a disclaimer/caveat with this. the screencaps i took were from my iphone 5 which generally has a taller/longer screen than most phones, but i see no reason why most if not all of these features/tweaks could be adjusted to fit all phones, even if maybe the special tile info at the top needed a "scroll down" function or something.

also, i took quite a bit of time (though, it may not seem like it) to photoshop the scaled down characters, but it's not perfect, so forgive me for that.

what do you all think? comments? suggestions? improvements? i would love to hear any and all feedback and for it to be loud enough for the devs to hear!

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Absolutely amazing. There is even a small empty area at the top that can be used to give space if needed for different screen dimensions.

Also, the Strike/Defense/Attack numbers could even be placed in a smaller bar under the powers but above the playing board.
  • I love this. D3 he did the work for you.... will you take the time to get your graphics designers to implement it?

May I suggest shrinking the actual ability bar about 3%. I think in the current game it takes up to much space
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    This is very nice and professional looking. Very informative. I wish D3 would go for it, but it would not add any extra money into their pockets, so I do not see them adopting this. Also, this would make it so that we would actually be able to see how much damage we were doing so we do not end up with a 1hp villain who now has a massive cascade and wipes your whole team out, and how many ap the AI actually has before they fire an ability which may prove problematic for the devs if the supposed "AI is cheating" is actually a bug that has been unfixed for a very long time. These are the first 2 problems that I saw in a quick thought.
  • Also to the OP. Post it in the suggestions AS WELL as here. I am not sure how much the developers actually look at the general discussion section. We can love it all day, but if they never see it, its not as effective.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    I actually really like that. Nice clean layout. Great work. Thanks for doing this.

Hopefully someone takes notice.
  • MyFeetStink
    MyFeetStink Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Just want to say great work. You did a wonderful job on that, looks really sharp.

If you have spare time and are thinking of other things to look into, perhaps a tablet optimized interface? I always find it odd playing the game on my tablet with it just being a scaled up UI from the phone. Plus the fact that I can only play in portrait with no landscape mode is sort of suck.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey Demiurge... if you don't hire this guy, at least listen to him for god's sake. He's presented completely workable solutions for so many of the UI shortcomings.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I would also like to see the option of having the enemy skills shown on screen the same way the player skills are shown. In the example of your photo, where you have the claw, shield, lightning bolt, and team up to represent the three player characters, you could have four similar symbols and bars to represent the AI's characters (and how close they are to getting a skill off).

In such a way that you can see the enemy AP bars fill up until a skill is "ready" just like you can for the player skills.

I wouldn't mind having that be an option that players could select as being active or inactive.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    I would also like to see the option of having the enemy skills shown on screen the same way the player skills are shown. In the example of your photo, where you have the claw, shield, lightning bolt, and team up to represent the three player characters, you could have four similar symbols and bars to represent the AI's characters (and how close they are to getting a skill off).

In such a way that you can see the enemy AP bars fill up until a skill is "ready" just like you can for the player skills.

I wouldn't mind having that be an option that players could select as being active or inactive.

On smaller screens, that could make firing an ability a little harder for those of us with big fingers..

But yes, it would be nice. Maybe we could have an opponent who has enough AP for an ability start flashing or something?
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Beautiful, just wanted to add my voice to the crowd requesting this be made a reality.

Nice work, I regret that I have but one upvote to give.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Awesome. I would love this so much.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    very nice. this would fix several UI shortcoming at once.
  • Born2DieNPvP
    Born2DieNPvP Posts: 163
    A thousand thumbs up. That's one of the best ui layouts I've ever saw for any game. I'd even welcome a huge forced update resulting in a PvP loss to get it! Seriously great job.
  • This is amazing! Great Job!

+1000 to the OP.

I hope the Devs take this as idea and run with it/use it!
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    +10000 upvotes - well done!!!
  • +10000 upvotes - well done!!!

Are you trying to out do my +1000? LMFAO.
  • stevenbrule
    stevenbrule Posts: 62 Match Maker
    I'm a huge fan of the idea of having an indicator of the strongest colour. When you're going against three 166s or 270s, it's easy to forget what the order was for the group and thus strongest colour.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

On smaller screens, that could make firing an ability a little harder for those of us with big fingers..

But yes, it would be nice. Maybe we could have an opponent who has enough AP for an ability start flashing or something?

Maybe you could swipe right and left on the bar to toggle between your characters' skill bars and the opponent characters' skill bars.

Instead of squeezing more information in, you could just replace that UI region wholesale when you swap (no partial swipes), that way you don't need to worry about scaling the other elements to fit it in. Or you could have it spring back once you've swiped to look, so that you don't have new players trying to use the opponents' skills.

You could do somethign similar with the attack/defense totals and the AP totals up top if you wanted, in case screen height was a concern.
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    shatland wrote:
    GUIexp2.jpg!

Good design!

One minor quibble: I would flip the position of the Fist and Dagger counter icons on the top bar so that both were pointing to the Right for your team and both to the Left for the AI.

Optionally, I would also support having the top two bars as a pulldown that replaced the current swipe left and right mechanism.
  • Xeonic-Ice
    Xeonic-Ice Posts: 176
    Good design!

Optionally, I would also support having the top two bars as a pulldown that replaced the current swipe left and right mechanism.

You actually wouldn't want it to be a pull-down since both iOS and Android have their own pull-down menus. It would be difficult to distinguish whether you were trying to use the game's pull-down or the phone's.

But yeah I agree with everyone else that this is a far better solution than what's currently in game. Right now I can't even determine how much AP was gained or lost without screenshotting every turn.