What The Vault Needs

Options
Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
dfsdfs_1.jpg

I was thinking of some ways to make the vault better:
-Replace some 2*'s with a "Free Spin." This will make the vault opening alittle more fun and interesting.
-Add a Roster Slot. This was mentioned before the reveal of the Vault but it never happened.. let's make it happen!
-Let us choose the color comic. It's quite annoying that I need Red Colossus yet there all Yellow, which I already have maxed. This would also reduce the 4* complaints.
-Give us 1 free reset. This way we don't keep "resetting" our vault in other methods or complain about the contents of the vault
-Add more 4*'s. We need more ways to obtain them.
-Reduce the Tacos from 300 to 100 BECAUSE.. below
-If you don't want us to horde then force us the tacos at the end of the 5-day cycle. If we do not open the tacos after the fifth day (up to 10) then they are automatically opened for us. This will prevent hording and the problems with the Post Tacos.

I simply would like to see a change in the vault. When it was first announced I was excited, but since then it's been a disappointment for me and many others. I'm interested in hearing others feedback.

Note: As some of you may know, I don't have Photoshop to make it look nice lol. I would love to see someone make a nice one

Comments

• Replacing some rewards with "re-spins" is probabilistically equivalent to simply taking out the rewards, which would be simpler and potentially better psychologically (instead of a 1/300 chance, you have a 1/250 chance for a specific cover, for example). Maybe it'll be fun and spice it up; for some the spinning wheel is a source of distress and should be avoided.

I agree with the majority of your sentiment, but I don't see why hoarding should be discouraged. Hoarding tokens has always been the way some people managed them (especially those of us who can't afford enough roster slots). While it is true that the Vault encourages hoarding to a greater extent than before, I don't believe that this is an issue that needs resolving - more of a personal preference. I do agree that the inactive vaults should not be resetting, but that's a separate technical issue that can hopefully be resolved.

How would you go about implementing the free reset? Would it be one per iteration of the vault? Or just one for any instance of the vault? ie. you get one free reset every time EotS is run vs. you get 1 reset to use on all EotS events and once you use it, it's gone. I think a better method of resolving this would be to allow resets to be free until you buy/spend tokens to "lock in," after which they'll cost whatever the current value is (maybe change the price, I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head). This will ensure that everyone's vault has covers they actually want, which should drive revenue up from token sales. As it stands right now, resets are only viable for super-whales, whereas those who may want to buy a few tokens for a shot at a potential cover might be dissuaded from doing so by a bad vault. If this is the case, they'd likely be of the mindset "why spend XXX HP to get a chance to get a vault that's just as bad?" which is obviously not conducive to sales.

With endless resets, of course there are those who will just keep spinning the wheel until they get a vault that has everything they need, then proceed to load up on tokens to clear it. However, my argument is as follows: the packs are priced such that it'd be more economical to simply whale up covers rather than buy tokens, unless it's the first cover of a color (for 4* at least, which is the direction the game seems to be heading. Even for 3*s, I think it's still better to go for the sure chance, unless there's several covers you desire). Thus, they won't be cheating the system. Furthermore, the fact that they're whaling benefits D3 anyways, with opportunity cost of resets made up for by increased sales at lower price-point (I consider this a fair assumption, because it's absurd to believe that any business will depend upon the high-spending minority rather than the low-spending majority for its income. I've only taken introductory economics, but how many players have you run into who have actually bought multiple resets in a single vault?). Players get vaults they like, which leads to more spending; it's a win-win for everyone!

Let's use an 80-prize vault as our standard. For the sake of simplicity, we'll assume that the player either wants a single cover or 3 covers (I know Pool Party Vault has 4, but afaik that's the only one that has been so far). If there's 1 desired prize in the vault, it'll take an average of 41 draws to get it. So, disregarding the few free tokens that may be earned, the player is basically buying a 40-pack (42 if you want to be pedantic) per desired cover. This only makes sense for new releases/missing first covers; otherwise it'd be cheaper to directly buy the cover. Okay, well then let's say there's 3 good covers in there. The average number of draws to get them all is 63. Going by daily deal prices, that's 17k hp. So there's no point in whaling the vaults unless you don't already own a certain cover that happens to be in there. I admit that this analysis is heavily skewed towards those in the 3*-4* transition or beyond, but realistically, if you're whaling, you won't be stuck in the 2*-3* transition very long. For casual spenders, free vault resets will, at worst, cause no change in revenue - if they weren't interested in the vault to begin with, they wouldn't waste hp on a new one. With free resets, they'd be guaranteed a vault that is at least as good as the initial one, leading to an increased possibility of spending hp on tokens.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options
    The main problem is mpq is too stingy with rewards they could of made a 3 star.png + only vault that you can't buy tokens for only event tokens 3 shots and that's it. With all the ways we can now get 2 star.png they don't need to be in the vault. It is the number one complaint I see, pulled only 2 star.png s.

If we are changing stuff: smaller vault, 5 and 10 packs of free spins, at least 5 roster slots in there, remove 2 star.png s but add other rewards like shield tokens, 24 hour; 3 day; 1 week of 2x, 3x or 5x Iso reward boosts, higher imcoin.png and iso8.png rewards, and in addtion to choosing the color of your hero, add maybe 1 or 2 universal 3:star: and 1 universal 4 star.png that lets you level up any hero of that rarity tier(still need at least 1 cover of the hero so it is unlocked, but can be used to level a color where there are no previous covers). They can be Bagman tokens and be introduced when he finally gets retired so all the players will be forever happy to pull Bagman. there can be a little animation when he gets assigned he pulls off the bag and it is what ever you assigned him as. Also the pricing is horrible the daily deal should be the base.
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    I haven't been on the forum all weekend.. wedding stuff (date is Oct 15!). Anyways I am surprised by the lack of feedback, although the two players above had great things to say. Even if you do not agree with all of my suggestions, I am sure everyone wants to see some sort of change in the vault. It's an interesting concept, it just doesn't excite me like it should.
  • I haven't been on the forum all weekend.. wedding stuff (date is Oct 15!). Anyways I am surprised by the lack of feedback, although the two players above had great things to say. Even if you do not agree with all of my suggestions, I am sure everyone wants to see some sort of change in the vault. It's an interesting concept, it just doesn't excite me like it should.

I agree, but I don't really know what could make me care about it anymore.
    I really only need 4 stars at this point, so to me the vault is a place to get health packs and iso with a slight chance of a cover I could use.
  • -Replace some 2*'s with a "Free Spin." This will make the vault opening alittle more fun and interesting.

put old school vanna white up on the spinner instead of just watching the icon blink to that magical spot where we think we can induce a desired draw.
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    I haven't been on the forum all weekend.. wedding stuff (date is Oct 15!). Anyways I am surprised by the lack of feedback, although the two players above had great things to say. Even if you do not agree with all of my suggestions, I am sure everyone wants to see some sort of change in the vault. It's an interesting concept, it just doesn't excite me like it should.

I agree, but I don't really know what could make me care about it anymore.
    I really only need 4 stars at this point, so to me the vault is a place to get health packs and iso with a slight chance of a cover I could use.

I understand what you're saying about the 4*'s and I agree. I remember when the Vault was first being talked about, it sounded as if we needed to earn 5 pieces to build a 4* for the week or trade in unused 3* covers for a 4*. Perhaps we misunderstood or we were dreaming up our own concepts but the vault is nothing like that, obviously. I really want to like the vault but I just don't.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the DDQ vault should be 100 items, should not have any 2* covers in it, have the free reset until you lock it, and single tokens should not cost over 100 HP after a 50 HP deal of the day token.

Do this and I will be happy with the vault. I have yet to pull a 4* out of any of my vaults. I pretty much use them in pairs immediately after I've opened them (assuming I have all my Health packs refreshed) so that I'm playing it the way they intended them so as not to "skew" the designed fun I'm supposed to be having.

I no longer have fun pulling DDQ tokens. Though my daughter did pull 2 250HP cards this weekend consecutively, that was nice and helped pay for a slot for Jean Grey.
  • It needs more Health Packs. icon_e_smile.gif