Which 2*s should remain on a 3* roster?

Options
Arctic_One
Arctic_One Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I currently have 18-3* characters at max covered, 9 of those are max levelled. I do have every 3* on my roster. Only 4* worth mentioning is 8 covers on my xforce.
I also have 12-2* characters all max levelled. This has to be too many.

Keepers - Ares, OBW, Magneto, Storm, Thor
On the fence - Daken, Hawkeye, Moonstone, Wolverine
Probably should drop - MsMarvel, JStorm, CapAmerica

My 3*Daken needs work yet, Patch is maxxed.

Am I thinking properly? Any thoughts welcomed.

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2* hawkeye is a boss and should be on your keep list.

The only real reason to keep 2* is for heroics. it might be helpful if you goto the tips and guide section. There you can see the pve format guide. In it they will tell you which 2* are considered essentials in specific events.

I would use that as a guide to who I keep.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IMO:

Core: OBW, Storm, Magneto

Fringe: Ares, Thor, Hawkeye, Moonstone

Ares/Thor make a great 3rd for Stormneto to tackle DDQ, or paired with OBW for PVP. Hawkeye + Magneto doesn't have quite the same synergy, although you should still be able to proc Speed Shot regularly. 0/0/5 Moonstone for Team Ups if you're into that sort of thing.

Trash: Everyone else (Daken, Torch, Wolverine, Captain Marvel, Captain America)

Troll/Trophy: Bagman

Bagman is purely trophy tier. He can also be fun to troll your alliance by sending him out for Team Ups.
  • Arctic_One
    Arctic_One Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My 3*Thor is 5/5/2 atm. Once I get him 5 Green I will trash 2* version. 3*Daken is in the same boat.
    I currently have two 4* (Deadpool & Carnage) and what amounts to a fully covered 1*Spiderman sitting in my Rewards and wanted to free up roster slots for those.

Why do I need 1*Spiderman? I don't. I just feel like any Marvel game must have a usable Spiderman, even if its just going to be once a day in DDQ.

I will check the tips&guides section for who are essentials. Thanks for the tip on that.
  • Deilinvega
    Deilinvega Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    I have all 1* and out of 2* I'm missing Moonstone and Bagman. I'll add them too for the sake of collection. Completionism is the only actual goal I can aim at since I'm not willing to pay real money for being competetive icon_razz.gif
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I stripped my 2* roster down to what I consider "essential only":

Black Widow
    Storm
    Magneto
    Ares
    Thor
    Daken
    Wolverine

Looking at it now, I could stand to lose Wolverine - he's good when boosted but I never find myself using him over Ares or Thor. Daken's a good third for Stormneto in DDQ, so he stays.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Keeper: Ares, OBW, Magneto

Keeper (unless you have 3* variant): Thor, Daken (His healing will help you reach 3* land faster), Captain America (God against Goons), Moonstone (Unless you have Loki or DD), Ms Marvel (Against high level Bullseye until you get Cap Marvel)

Maybe: Storm (Health buffs made her squishier than before), Hawkeye (depends if you keep Magneto), Wolverine (Fast synergy with Daken plus healing)

Drop: Johnny Storm, Bullseye (I like pairing him with Wolv and Daken but most hate him)

I have every 2* mostly for essentials. Keep them unless you can't afford the roster slots, you can always get them later or have a rotating slot. I have a Lvl 15 Johnny Storm that I will sell if I earn a new character.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I keep just OBWx2, Ares, Wolvie, Storm.

I'd also rather keep one cover of a duplicate PX that I can build an alternate way than keep a 2*Thor that I'll never use, so I might not be a model here.

As OJSP said, unless you're in a pinch for roster slots, may as well keep them. I held a lot of mine until I just couldn't keep up with the rapid fire release they had way back when.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,996 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dont you need to keep ALL 2 stars now since they are required in PVE... They could very easy fix this if the put the 2 star needed in the PVP before the PVE..

IE
    PVE needs pro x thor and black widow

Make the PVP that ends on wed give black widow for the 200 pt prize that way at least you dont need to hold all freaking 2 stars

this event awards Hawkeye yet you need Thor for the PVE Blah

but back to point

Keepers - Ares, OBW, Magneto, Storm, Thor
    On the fence - Daken, Hawkeye, Moonstone, Wolverine
    Probably should drop - MsMarvel, JStorm, CapAmerica

i keep ms marvel since once you get black max she can walk though some matches easy. J storm never used her and easy to kill.. Cap america never could get into using cost are way too high so i would drop the last 2 in a 2nd.

Fence.. Daken use off and on. Hawkeye never used . Moonstone never used. Wolve.. this guy got me though many matches until i got my 3 stars he was the first i pushed to max 2 star ---- i would drop moon and hawk

Keeper.. Ares good still use today for PVP even though got tons of 3 stars max .... OBW never use her much anymore... Mag same stop using him after he got nerf.. storm never could see a use for her many say she rules but way too easy to kill in pvp. I mean i love fighting mag storm teams in PVP they are the easier ones to kill.. Kill storm off quicky and then kill mag. Storm never gets to fire off any of her moves . Thor is okay until you get 3 star thor. (good luck getting greens)

overall i would drop top 4
    Capt ameri
    Jstorm
    moon
    hawk
    \
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    dont you need to keep ALL 2 stars now since they are required in PVE...
    \

No, you don't need to keep all the 2* for PvE.

They telegraph what the next one will be (the essentials for the FalCap event will be PX/Cyclops/2Thor). So anyone without 2Thor has had a week to save the ones they get from tokens/PvP battle drops.

As far as the roster slot goes, you need one for FalCap anyway, so you just buy it in advance. Put 2Thor in there, when the event ends, drop 2Thor and voila, spot for FalCap.
  • Keeper: Ares, OBW, Magneto

Keeper (unless you have 3* variant): Thor, Daken (His healing will help you reach 3* land faster), Captain America (God against Goons), Moonstone (Unless you have Loki or DD), Ms Marvel (Against high level Bullseye until you get Cap Marvel)

Maybe: Storm (Health buffs made her squishier than before), Hawkeye (depends if you keep Magneto), Wolverine (Fast synergy with Daken plus healing)

Drop: Johnny Storm, Bullseye (I like pairing him with Wolv and Daken but most hate him)

I have every 2* mostly for essentials. Keep them unless you can't afford the roster slots, you can always get them later or have a rotating slot. I have a Lvl 15 Johnny Storm that I will sell if I earn a new character.

So if I have a 3* Dakken should I get rid of my 2* varient? I could use the roster slot and the extra Iso8. What about my Johnny Storm? I have a Max 2* and a Max 3*, do I need Both?
  • slidecage
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    dont you need to keep ALL 2 stars now since they are required in PVE...
    \

No, you don't need to keep all the 2* for PvE.

They telegraph what the next one will be (the essentials for the FalCap event will be PX/Cyclops/2Thor). So anyone without 2Thor has had a week to save the ones they get from tokens/PvP battle drops.

As far as the roster slot goes, you need one for FalCap anyway, so you just buy it in advance. Put 2Thor in there, when the event ends, drop 2Thor and voila, spot for FalCap.

that is IF YOU can pull a thor or the reqired one and good luck with that.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    slidecage wrote:

If it were Bagman, sure, might be a problem. If you're a regular, it's exceptionally easy to acquire them in a weeks time. Heck, if you really don't need the 3* reward, you can play the PvE just enough to get the 2* reward that way.
  • slidecage wrote:

If it were Bagman, sure, might be a problem. If you're a regular, it's exceptionally easy to acquire them in a weeks time. Heck, if you really don't need the 3* reward, you can play the PvE just enough to get the 2* reward that way.
    We know which characters are gonna be required one pve ahead, but one might be unlucky at times. A 3 days pve showing the next 2* and a 24h first sub after gives a 4 days window to get it. Could need some spare iso on tokens.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was a collector until they started releasing characters every two weeks and never reducing roster slots to 500HP, which is about where they should be with that release rate.

Started out by dropping bagman (obv), Bullseye when he still had two abilities, Moonstone and Magneto when they were on sale. Recently have dropped both Captain's. Next will be HT, then Hawkeye, then Daken and Wolvy...I was thinking these as worthwhile when boosted, but now that 4*'s are the new 3*'s scaling will make -any- 2*'s pretty irrelevant when you put them in PVE (that is, the difference between one cover level 15 and 13 covers level 94 isn't going to make a big difference in your matches).

I plan on going down to my DDQ team (which I've always used and has never wiped): Thor/Storm/OBW. I'll keep Ares for the (one?) event when storm is on the opposing DDQ team, so I can still run three characters - and for climbs in BoP.

Edit - on getting Req character in PVE: I run tons of LR's and it's super easy to find multiple copies of them all just beating the seed teams if you have time there. I haven't gotten rid of enough to run into difficulties yet perhaps? Also I rarely run PVE so I'm rarely looking for them? But when I know new characters are coming (like this week) I just don't sell any covers for the week going into it, so I should have them in that giant stack somewhere.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Grendal270 wrote:
    Keeper: Ares, OBW, Magneto

So if I have a 3* Dakken should I get rid of my 2* varient? I could use the roster slot and the extra Iso8. What about my Johnny Storm? I have a Max 2* and a Max 3*, do I need Both?

I thought I would still use my 2* Daken even if I had 3* for the healing alone but in reality once I earned my 5th purple and I was releasing 2 strikes per green match that's when I stopped using 2* Daken. You can safely drop him, villains aren't essential in PVE often. However, 3* Daken without a few black covers could die more often then your fully covered 2* Daken.

Yes drop Johnny, 3* is much better. As many players have said, try to have a rotating slot. Mine is occupied with Johnny Storm at lvl 15.
  • obw, ares (beast when buffed), storm

dump thor when you have the 3* version, same with daken.

wolvie is buffed a lot so maybe keep him if you feel like it.

otherwise, if you're like me and you're cheap. time to sell those 2*s
  • You have to keep Storm, Hawkeye, and Magneto. If you kept three, it would be them.

But you will face each of them in Deadpool Daily, so you should have 3 alternates. OBW is almost as good as a 3*. You'd keep her, anyways, because OBW and Patch can turn any group of mooks to dust. 2* Wolverine is no slouch, either. And Ms. Marvel has that Sonic Boom thing that's useful.

Look, you don't really want to get rid of your 2*s if you don't have to. They're featured now, and you'll miss them when they're gone. But if you really want to trash them, you can lose every 2* with a 3* clone.
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    Options
    I pretty strongly disagree with most of the posts here. You now have enough 3*s for the Big Enchilada to be trivial, which means you only need 2*s for the two 2* DDQ nodes. OBW and Ares can handle them on their own. For PVE you just need to open a loaner slot for the required 2*. This also has the advantage of you keeping the 2 2*s you'll ever use in Balance of Power/Combined Arms. ISO and Roster Slots are great, keeping a bunch of 2*s not so much.
  • slidecage
    Options
    seems you could lose on PVP as well.. 2 stars = thor
  • Keep in mind, Im only starting the 3 star transition, so Im going mostly by my own experience with the 2 star range.

Not enough love for Ms Marvel so far in this thread, so I have to pitch in on her defense.

Her Red is surpassed by her 3 star version, obviously, but is useful for what it does.

Her Black has a bit of an overbalanced drawback in the random AP loss, but it's a great secondary AOE for the 2 star range and with it's countdown tile has the ability to tick through gauntlet waves, using it to finish a wave, and then soften the next.

Her Yellow ability is practically all-star tier however. It does depend slightly on your alliance mates and their own levels, but she can help swing an entire match with the right team up slotted, not to mention the possible critical tiles and cascades it can cause.

Ares, OBW, Mags, Storm are all worth keeping, and Hawkeye also can be good if you have someone to tank for him and create easy match 5s.

Thor, Cap, Daken, and Human Torch I'd argue could be dropped, as they have better versions in the 3 star range. BUT, Thor, Cap, and Torch are commonly used as essentials.

Bullseye and Moonstone are low hanging fruit to prune. They simply don't have potent enough abilities that aren't replicated by something better.

Moonstone's red is over costed, her purple is useless as long as it remains random, which means it gets worse with more covers as the color spread is increased. Her Black is pretty good, but there's 3 star characters that can handle strike/protect/attack tiles better.

Bullseye suffers from having a decent passive in his purple but protect tiles aren't -that- great, and then his black is way overcosted for what it does, with a ridiculous once in a blue moon trick to do extra damage. His green is solid, but there's better green powers throughout 2 star land, let alone 3 stars.

Wolverine is probably the one character I couldn't give a recommendation on. His yellow passive is meh, but his green is quick and with patience to build his red is a good combo to generate strike tiles, then do heavy damage/down a particular target. He's vital for me right now, but I suspect he will eventually be outpaced.

One key thing however is that inevitably a 2 star character will be an essential and boosted, and then 2 others will be boosted as well, so in theory, anyone can still help prop up and pinch hit for your main roster in PVE, depending on your level ranges, which is why I have not gotten rid of any of my own 2 stars.