5-Star Rarity & Silver Surfer Announcement! (In-Depth)

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello, Marvel Puzzle Quest fans!

We’ve got some very exciting news to announce today – our first 5-Star character is on the way and it’s none other than the cosmic spacefarer himself, Silver Surfer!

MPQ_Silver_Surfer_5Stars.jpg

This marks the first time ever that we’ve introduced a new rarity in Marvel Puzzle Quest and tons of details are revealed in our September Marvel Puzzle Quest Community Video and a podcast chat today at Marvel.com (more on both of these in a bit). At the same time, we're also introducing more ways to earn 4-star characters.

We know you’ll have some questions regarding this awesome new addition to the game, so let’s start off by answering a few!

Q: How do you earn Silver Surfer and future 5-Star characters?

A: You can earn 5-star characters in Legendary packs. These packs will contain only 4-star characters and better. At first, the odds will consist of 95% 4-star characters and 5% for Silver Surfer. The proportion of 5-Stars in these packs will increase when we release two more 5-Star characters. You can earn Legendary tokens in the following ways: • As the progression reward at 1300 in Versus (starting on 9/10). • As a new progression reward in Story events (starting on 9/10). • One of the 4-Stars in the Deadpool Daily Quest Vault is replaced with a Legendary token (starting on 9/11). • As the Top 100 Alliance reward each season (starting with Season XIX). • As an additional season progression reward at 10,000 in Season XIX. • In Heroic and event packs; 42-packs now become 40-packs - plus a Legendary token. • Last, but not least! We’re adding a new mission type to Deadpool’s Daily Quest. Every 5 days, there will be a very challenging face-off mission between one particular 4-Star and one opponent. Beat that mission and you’ll get a Legendary token. (The first mission of this type will appear on 9/15.) We’ll also be introducing additional ways to earn Legendary tokens in new features we’re working on now and aren’t quite ready to announce.

Q: How strong will 5-Star characters be?

A: 5-Star characters will be usable as soon as you earn them. Where 3 and 4-Stars need 8 to 10 covers before they match the power of a maxed 2-Star or 3-Star, 5-Star characters need only a few covers to match the power of a maxed 4-Star.

Q: Will 5-Star characters be available for purchase?

A: 5-Star characters can’t be purchased. 5-Stars are epic and developing these characters will be a long-term goal. You'll need to collect each of the covers to upgrade their powers.

Q: Can you tell us about Silver Surfer?

A: Norrin Radd took up the mantle of Herald of Galactus in order to save his planet. He wields the Power Cosmic, in the defense of freedom for sentient beings throughout the galaxy. In Marvel Puzzle Quest, the Skyrider utilizes this power to deal concussive blasts, create black hole-like tiles that consume the tiles around them to charge the team’s powers, heal himself, and charge tiles with energy for friends to use.

Q: When will Silver Surfer (and 5-Star characters) be available?

A: Silver Surfer (the first of the 5-Star characters) will be available starting on September 10th. We've planned for three 5-Star characters through November 2015, one a month, to ensure there's variety and strategy in the 5-Star tier. After that, we'll evaluate what the release schedule for future 5-Stars will be.

'THIS WEEK IN MARVEL' PODCAST

Demiurge designers, Will Jennings-Hess and Miles Benjamin, joined Marvel’s Ryan Penagos today for the This Week in Marvel Podcast (Episode 201). Plans are announced for the addition of 5-Stars and Silver Surfer for MPQ!

This_Week_In_Marvel_Podcast_Logo.jpg

You can LISTEN TO IT HERE (The MPQ portion of the podcast begins at 1:08:25).

SEPTEMBER COMMUNITY VIDEO – More Silver Surfer & 5-Star Details From The Game Designers

In this month’s Community Video, Demiurge’s Will Jennings-Hess and Miles Benjamin are back to offer exciting details on the introduction of the all-new 5-Star rarity, the arrival of Silver Surfer and new systems and features on the way to help players gain and cover their 4-Stars!

Demiurge_Silver_Surfer_Video_Reveal_090315.jpg

You can WATCH IT HERE.

You can read a transcript of the video HERE.

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    My initial reaction was - ugh.

But story progression! season progression! 1300! New deadpool fights!

Ok, you got me.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    OMFG icon_e_surprised.gificon_eek.gif
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Well thought out. Great idea, love it.

What are 5*s max level? I'm interested so much amg
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    udonomefoo wrote:
    My initial reaction was - ugh.

But story progression! season progression! 1300! New deadpool fights!

Ok, you got me.

Ditto. I was icon_mad.gificon_rolleyes.gif until the "no purchasing" and additional ways to earn 4* got me all icon_eek.gificon_razz.gif
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    JordonLee wrote:
    Well thought out. Great idea, love it.

What are 5*s max level? I'm interested so much amg
    5*s start at 255, max out at 450. Each cover gives a static 15 level increase to level cap.
  • I was thinking that most wouldn't like the idea of 5* characters in the game, but personally I see no problem with it. Especially how it's been laid out here.

So...what are they called? And are we gonna a little bit more info on Surfer so I can make a decent wiki page?
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!
  • IceIX
    I was thinking that most wouldn't like the idea of 5* characters in the game, but personally I see no problem with it. Especially how it's been laid out here.

So...what are they called? And are we gonna a little bit more info on Surfer so I can make a decent wiki page?
    They are Epic rarity. Silver Surfer is Silver Surfer (Skyrider)

I'll have more info on him soon with a character thread. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    IceIX wrote:
    They are Epic rarity. Silver Surfer is Silver Surfer (Skyrider)

I'll have more info on him soon with a character thread. icon_e_smile.gif

Any plans to address the billion ISO shortfall we already have with the current 4*s?
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't wait but gotta wait for Legen - wait for it - dary, Legendary tokens!
  • IceIX
    Buret0 wrote:
    Any plans to address the billion ISO shortfall we already have with the current 4*s?
    Concepts and ideas, yes. Nothing ready to go right this second. It's most definitely on our radar though.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    So how much Iso to level the 5*'s?
  • IceIX
    Thanos wrote:
    So how much Iso to level the 5*'s?
    ~550K to max level. That being said, since you can't just buy abilities you're not going to be dropping 550 all at once.
  • Super excited for 4* token every 5 days in Daily Deadpool.

What is a level 450 SS do to the scaling in PvE? icon_eek.gif I regret taking my Wolv XForce to 202...

Super excited.
  • So does this mean the 4* at 1300 is being replaced by the token or being bumped down to say 1150? 3 4*s a PvP sounds nice, just sayin'.
  • What is the progression level going to be for PVE event's reward token? 2 times current top progression? 3x? 4x? 5x?
  • IceIX
    Boldbrute wrote:
    So does this mean the 4* at 1300 is being replaced by the token or being bumped down to say 1150? 3 4*s a PvP sounds nice, just sayin'.
    Replaced. No more set 4* at 1300, it's now a Legendary token.
  • IceIX
    mindsuckr wrote:
    What is the progression level going to be for PVE event's reward token? 2 times current top progression? 3x? 4x? 5x?
    Depends largely on the PVE. 2x progression in some is simple, really hard in others.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Q: Will 5-Star characters be available for purchase?

A: 5-Star characters can’t be purchased. 5-Stars are epic and developing these characters will be a long-term goal. You'll need to collect each of the covers to upgrade their powers.

please tell me this means whales can't just cover up a 5 star with cash
  • Q: Will 5-Star characters be available for purchase?

please tell me this means whales can't just cover up a 5 star with cash
    If they wanna drop $100+ for a 5% chance then sure!