Where did my thread go?Proper Forums and Subforums![Updated]

Options
Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Going to leave this here for a while, until at least the end of the Anniversary, as many people need help with their game-play, and have suggestions on improvements, small to major glitches, etc..

Many threads have been moved, and more will be i am sure of it.

So where did they go? Where should i post my question?

Help with your roster or best teams to use with the roster you have?
Roster and Level Help : viewforum.php?f=33

Have an idea to make the game or an event/character better?
MPQ Suggestions and Feedback: viewforum.php?f=8

How can i do this? This is how you do it!
MPQ Tips and Guides: viewforum.php?f=6

It's broke! Please fix it!
MPQ Bugs and Technical Issues: viewforum.php?f=9

Check out the stats on that one! This is how it got there!
Theories and Statistics: viewforum.php?f=34

This band/tv show/movie rocks!
Off Topic: viewforum.php?f=15

I am working through my addiction, so i also play this other game!
Other Games General Discussion: viewforum.php?f=11

If you feel your thread has been moved in error, kindly and respectfully reply to the mod who moved it, and they will let you know why, or they may move it back.

Have fun! Check out some of the subforums above if you haven't before and add to the conversations! Happy Posting!

Comments

• killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sad thing, not many go to the suggestion forum, it's pretty a desolate wasteland. lol
  • sad thing, not many go to the suggestion forum, it's pretty a desolate wasteland. lol

Makes it nice and quick for the devs to read though! No wonder they think they're doing such a great job!

But serious hat on now: Have mods considered leaving a link to the new home of a thread after moving it? Like a locked one-post topic where the original one was that just shows a link to where the thread now is?

So a thread called "What's the best team to use?" gets moved to its correct home and a thread appears in general discussions called "Moved: What's the best team to use?" the thread just contains a link to the new location of the original thread and is locked.

As the 'link thread' is locked it will drop like a stone off the front page, but people who were posting in that thread will be able to spot the link and know where the thread has moved to.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It'd be nice if a red name would respond to the threads in bugs and suggestions. The lack of any kind of response contributes greatly to people feeling as if those forums are trash cans.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Grantosium wrote:
    sad thing, not many go to the suggestion forum, it's pretty a desolate wasteland. lol

Makes it nice and quick for the devs to read though! No wonder they think they're doing such a great job!

But serious hat on now: Have mods considered leaving a link to the new home of a thread after moving it? Like a locked one-post topic where the original one was that just shows a link to where the thread now is?

So a thread called "What's the best team to use?" gets moved to its correct home and a thread appears in general discussions called "Moved: What's the best team to use?" the thread just contains a link to the new location of the original thread and is locked.

As the 'link thread' is locked it will drop like a stone off the front page, but people who were posting in that thread will be able to spot the link and know where the thread has moved to.

Considered, yes, but it leaves quite a bit of clutter, which makes searching harder. Also, was putting edits in the OP saying when a thread was to be moved to the proper forum, but most fell pages and pages behind.. so they will never get their day.. easier to put them in the right place as soon as possible, so they can be responded to!
  • simonsez wrote:
    It'd be nice if a red name would respond to the threads in bugs and suggestions. The lack of any kind of response contributes greatly to people feeling as if those forums are trash cans.

You got a red name sticky assuring us they do, and they have a specific "No touching" policy there (For understandable reasons)

I do wish they'd say "Yeah we listened to this idea" in retrospect, though.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Disregarding that the other non-character forums usually don't get any sort of official response ever, the only problem with the moving of topics is that it's not consistent. We literally have a thread in this forum (on page two now) with the word "Suggestions" in the title that the creator of this very thread posted in, and it wasn't moved. Most of the traffic in this forum is 'suggestions' - even if we had a topic called "Let's chat about 1* characters," where does that go? Character discussion? If the talk has constructive posts that offer suggestions, does it get moved there? If it's a bunch of "1*s suck why are they here" does it just get closed for not having any substance?

Can we get a description of what posts should go in this forum, instead of just a "these topics should go in other places?"
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Disregarding that the other non-character forums usually don't get any sort of official response ever, the only problem with the moving of topics is that it's not consistent. We literally have a thread in this forum (on page two now) with the word "Suggestions" in the title that the creator of this very thread posted in, and it wasn't moved. Most of the traffic in this forum is 'suggestions' - even if we had a topic called "Let's chat about 1* characters," where does that go? Character discussion? If the talk has constructive posts that offer suggestions, does it get moved there? If it's a bunch of "1*s suck why are they here" does it just get closed for not having any substance?

Can we get a description of what posts should go in this forum, instead of just a "these topics should go in other places?"

If it was one of the Galactus suggestion threads, it was decided to leave many of those here, until we had official word on the event and whatnot, most of which the Devs read, and closed when the official thread went live.

If it was a non-serious, or joke type suggestion.. or one made not as an actual suggestion, but to start a conversation, many of those won't get moved. If it didn't fall into those categories, please toss me a link, so i can find out why it wasn't moved, if it needs to be moved, or if i just flaked and missed it. Thanks!
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have to agree with other posters. Some of those subforums are barren wastelands. One suggestion of mine gathered more views, upvotes and comments in the few hours it was allowed in the General Discussion subforum than it has got in the weeks since it was moved. Since then, other people have created new threads to suggest the same thing because they never saw mine. Those were moved too, in a state of irrelevancy.

Yes, we are assured that even though no red name will ever answer there, all suggestions are read... however, how do they know whether an idea is just some random whim of a wanna-be game designer, or rather a feature that a good percentage of the community would like to see? Case in example, the UI redesign thread got over 200 upvotes and remained in the first page for weeks. Finally, a red name appeared and made a statement on the matter. They know now how MUCH we want it. Had it been created in this move-happy days and subsequently relocated, it may have easily perished out of page 1 with only a few upvotes and comments, and devs would think that the community doesn't feel that strongly about the matter, so they can just continue ignoring it.

Funniest thing is that vitriolic complaint threads, which often include (aggressive but often good) suggestions are allowed to bloom and thrive in this subforum (and get dev responses), but is the polite and well thought ones that get quickly shuffled away. In a world were people displeased with Galactus 1.0 has posted ONLY helpful and polite suggestion threads on how to improve it, just to have them subsequently moved out of the spotlight, we probably wouldn't have a fixed and fun 2.0 run.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I have to agree with other posters. Some of those subforums are barren wastelands. One suggestion of mine gathered more views, upvotes and comments in the few hours it was allowed in the General Discussion subforum than it has got in the weeks since it was moved. Since then, other people have created new threads to suggest the same thing because they never saw mine. Those were moved too, in a state of irrelevancy.

This right here is why we are trying to draw attention to the other subforums. If we can drive the traffic there, we can get more constructive responses in the proper places. When new people come to the forums, and read the subfoum names, they will check there for the info they need.. if everything is bunched in general, it is hard to find anything.

i know 100% that suggestions and bugs are the ones people want viewed the most in general discussion.. but they need to be seen by D3/Demiurge, who has given assurances that those subforums are monitored very regularly. Yes upvotes and comments from other forumites are great, but some of these great suggestions get lost in the clutter of general, and never get read.
  • danae
    danae Posts: 101
    Options
    What this forum needs is a "New post" button that shows you all the threads that have a new post in it based on your last visit. In another forum I visit, I use this button exclusively and that drives traffic to the different sub-forums automatically.
  • danae
    danae Posts: 101
    Options
    OJSP wrote:
    danae wrote:
    What this forum needs is a "New post" button that shows you all the threads that have a new post in it based on your last visit. In another forum I visit, I use this button exclusively and that drives traffic to the different sub-forums automatically.
    This link might help?
    https://d3go.com/forums/search.php?search_id=unreadposts
    or this?
    https://d3go.com/forums/search.php?search_id=active_topics

They are on the "Board index" page. The only problem with the lists is that they include posts or threads from other forums (ATPQ, MtGPQ, and Other Games)

Also, what happened to all the stickied threads in "Character Discussion"?

Wow. Thanks for that. I never actually noticed that before. I'll definitely make use of that from now on.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

This right here is why we are trying to draw attention to the other subforums. If we can drive the traffic there, we can get more constructive responses in the proper places. When new people come to the forums, and read the subfoum names, they will check there for the info they need.. if everything is bunched in general, it is hard to find anything.

i know 100% that suggestions and bugs are the ones people want viewed the most in general discussion.. but they need to be seen by D3/Demiurge, who has given assurances that those subforums are monitored very regularly. Yes upvotes and comments from other forumites are great, but some of these great suggestions get lost in the clutter of general, and never get read.

(Emphasis mine) Fair enough. However, I can't help to believe that "getting lost in the clutter of general" was kind of an useful, natural selection-like filter? Truly irrelevant or infeasible suggestions were ignored by the community and quickly swept aside out of sight. Helpful suggestions about features that the community as a whole care for and what to see fixed or implemented gain tons of volume and remain relevant in the first page for days. In the other subforums both the good and bad suggestions gather the same kind of attention (none) and devs have to go through them all.

I understand that you are trying to increase traffic to those forums so maybe we can have that too there, but I'm sceptical. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

(Emphasis mine) Fair enough. However, I can't help to believe that "getting lost in the clutter of general" was kind of an useful, natural selection-like filter? Truly irrelevant or infeasible suggestions were ignored by the community and quickly swept aside out of sight. Helpful suggestions about features that the community as a whole care for and what to see fixed or implemented gain tons of volume and remain relevant in the first page for days. In the other subforums both the good and bad suggestions gather the same kind of attention (none) and devs have to go through them all.

I understand that you are trying to increase traffic to those forums so maybe we can have that too there, but I'm sceptical. We'll have to wait and see.

The debate over "shadow topics" is going on. It will mean more work for the mods etc, but it will also leave a non-respondable linked topic where the original was (i think), after the thread is moved. We would have to delete these all manually after x amount of time. I have no experience with them, so i am not really able to give much input myself, that one is for the more experienced mods to decide (don't think i've ever seen a shadow topic). So one of the more tenured mods/devs can answer that one.
  • Do you think there could be a thread (maybe this one) where if we have an idea or issue and have posted in another sub-forum, that we could post in the General Discussion?

Mod Edit: removed link advertising your post.. nice try!
  • Ram51
    Ram51 Posts: 117
    Options
    Any reason why Snowcatt's thread regarding 4* transition was moved to Roster and Level Help subforum? No reason written by mod who moved it either.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=34512

Thread is not a FAQ or guide, it is not looking for help regarding his roster. It is a commentary on the state of the game today. Please move it back to General Discussion, so the wider community can read it and provide their own inputs.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    Where do you make a thread when you want to discuss a subject that is somewhat similar to other threads, but distinct, and yet the moderators won't let you post about it? Reddit?
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Raffoon wrote:
    Where do you make a thread when you want to discuss a subject that is somewhat similar to other threads, but distinct, and yet the moderators won't let you post about it? Reddit?

Please READ through the other threads first.. similar threads get merged, identical threads get locked with links to the originals.. if the thread does not appear on Reddit, feel free to start it there
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I will keep a log here of all the moving, merging and locking I do for the sake of transparency and to help members locate a thread they may have been interested in that got moved else where. A brief note will be posted here, but the full reason should be located in the topic. If you believe a post was incorrectly modded, please PM one of the mods to discuss your case.

11/30/2015Hacked Roster? Mod Action: Locked. Reason: Post about suspicion of hacking.
    12/01/2015 Dev's, how to get me to spend my $100 Mod Action: Move to Feedback and Suggestions. Reason:Per request of the OP.
    12/06/2015 Gamependium Warning Mod Action: Moved to Off Topic. Reason:Not directly MPQ game related.
    12/12/2015 Important Announcement: Legendary Tokens Exploit Mod Action: Post removed Reason: Obscenities and Off Topic.
    12/14/2015 Funniest Comics and Meme's Mod Action: Post removed Reason:Contained profanity.
    12/14/2015 Malcrof's take on the exploit and forum reactionMod Action: Split from a different topic Reason:Thread derailment.
    12/15/2015 Malcrof's take on the exploit and forum reactionMod Action: Locked. Reason: Prevent player harassment.
    12/16/2015 Which 4* next? [POLL] Mod Action: Move to Roster and Level Help. Reason:Per request of the OP.
    1/07/2016 I wonder if THAT is why IceX really left? Mod Action: Locked. Reason: Baseless speculation.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The OP doesn't clarify what constitutes General Discussion. Please clarify, because I can't figure it out.
This discussion has been closed.