Galactus Run 2 Changes

Options
IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Here are the overall changes that we made for Galactus on run 2. Please use this thread for comments.

Ability changes
    - Galactus will now place fewer Countdown tiles in later rounds, with those tiles also lasting longer. At maximum, he'll be placing 2 tiles that last for 2 turns instead of up to 4 tiles with 1 turn. - Countdown tiles placed by Galactus now deal ~50% more damage each when they go off. So while there are less of them, you'll want to focus more on them in later rounds. - Cosmic tiles created by Countdown tiles going off have been reduced slightly in later rounds to a maximum of 4. - AP gained per Cosmic tile destroyed by Galactus has been greatly reduced. Now he gains a static 1 AP per tile, meaning he needs a full 28 (minus cascade gathered AP) to use his Wrath.

Mission changes
    - Eliminated the steady rise in scaling that occurred in earlier rounds. - Galactus Minion nodes now have an Anniversary token in place of their old Standard token drop - Galactus Boss nodes now have a +All AP Boost in place of the Crit Multiplier Boost - Personal progression reward tiers have been reduced starting at tier 3 by around ~14%-24%. That Legendary Token should be *far* more achievable now, especially with the difficulty changes above.

Essentials
    Black Panther, Cyclops (Classic), Gamora, Hawkeye (Any), Hulk (Indestructible), Luke Cage, Squirrel Girl, Steve Rogers (Any), Storm (Any)

Overall, this is going to make the Galactus rounds more based on damage taken from Cosmic tiles for players with rosters that don't have quite as much health, but leave Cosmic Wrath to be a real threat in later rounds. That being said, even if a player completely fails to take down any Cosmic tiles on the first run in a later round, it's not an instant Cosmic Wrath as it was before. In test, this allowed for *greatly* increased roster variability in earlier rounds and a still very wide roster choice in later rounds. Some strategies that worked before will remain the same (sap Galactus's AP, massive board shake, etc), others aren't so board luck based.

Edit: Added essentials for this run. Squirrel Girl needs to go against Galactus. It's canon.

Comments

• Sounds promising! Ice, will the nodes refresh with clearing the round now as they do with Ultron?
  • Tarouza
    Tarouza Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Nodes don't refresh

Why isn't cyclops 3* boosted like all other chars with multiple interations?
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I do appreciate the improvements your team have made this time around.

While the lower progression marks are great, having Cyclops (Classic) as required makes them hard to achieve for the people outside the ~110 alliances that didn't finish Round 6 last time for whatever reason (not having a good enough roster, lack of alliance coordination, didn't use an exploit, unlucky token pulls, etc.). EDIT: But the progressions did drop by more than the drop to 80-83% performance that missing the new Cyclops entails, so that is still an improvement over all for progression, just a setback on round completion.
  • Punatulkku
    Options
    Sigh. and i thought this would be better, but no.
    Classic cyclops node = well ty. it was almost reachable on first galactus
    Rewards = can you pls put the 20/40 iso stuff away during anniversary. its really sick and pathetic to get either +1 to all colours or +40 ison in 4 times a row.. I came to get tokens, not to be trolled...
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, essentials stay as is? some of mine started in the 200's, hoping they stay there! Changes are all positive so far!
  • IceIX
    Options
    Magisse wrote:
    Sounds promising! Ice, will the nodes refresh with clearing the round now as they do with Ultron?
    Node refresh is still set to the same as it was with run 1.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    These changes sound wonderful. Thank you for listening to player feedback.
  • M C K
    M C K Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options
    Happy with the AP generation changes. Now...off to be devoured!
  • Coik
    Coik Posts: 19
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have to admit that I'm pretty damn disappointed that the Cyclops refresh node specifically requires 4* Cyclops instead of being Cyclops (Any). I would've hoped that after how poorly the first round went and the number of alliances who likely would've gotten at least one cover of 4Cyke if not for the server outages and insanely scaling difficulty (including mine, I'll admit), they would've thrown us at least that minor bone.

Edit: And just so this post isn't entirely negative, the changes that were made are much appreciated. It looks like it should result in a steadier scaling of challenge, and being more generous with the tokens (particularly after the draw rate adjustments) is very nice as well.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I might be an outlier here, but I like that the nodes don't refresh when you beat a round. As long as there is plenty of time to complete the event, it takes away that need to be glued to the event for the first 8 hours.
  • Sorry I've been so unpleasant. These changes seem very reasonable, my main concern was always the exponential AP bump.

... maybe I shouldn't have quit my alliance lol.
  • IceIX
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    So, essentials stay as is? some of mine started in the 200's, hoping they stay there! Changes are all positive so far!
    Essentials are set Gauntlet style (one check at the start to get your roster strength), and we turned off scaling checking past that. So if you see them creeping up over rounds, let us know.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sounds good. And looks like Hulk can still get angry with that increased damage.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Love love love the change where we get AP boosts instead of Crit boosts! Thanks ^_^
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This sounds MUCH better than the first round. I admit, I'm impressed.
  • Esheris wrote:
    Love love love the change where we get AP boosts instead of Crit boosts! Thanks ^_^
    But now we'll run out of crit boosts... icon_e_wink.gif
  • Even though node resets are the same as the first run (not something many will be happy about), at least we know it in advance! Thanks for letting us know chief!
  • Thanks for the changes of the tokens, the AP boost

Thanks for making the game more playable for 2* rosters

Thanks for listening to players' feedback and salvage the anniversary
  • Demolira
    Demolira Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    Sounds solid, but I think the lack of a Cyclops for my alliance is going to offset the improvements a bit.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Most haven't noticed, but the Galactus Hungers tokens are also very tasty.