• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    my thing level 111 1 1 4 so tempted to buy that 5th green
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    Why? That's 2500 HP to have a Thing that still isn't very usable, but has a slightly better shot at earning you a legendary token - that could just as easily be your 6th greenflag.pngicon_thing.png as a cover that you really want (which would be a better place for that 2500 HP).
  • you guys have too much faith in d3. it'll be something like loki with a tu with enough dmg to trigger yellow.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    flayre wrote:
    you guys have too much faith in d3. it'll be something like loki with a tu with enough dmg to trigger yellow.
    It's impossible to trigger yellow in a one-on-one fight, it only activates when a teammate with less health is attacked. No teammates = no Rock Solid activation.
    Could be Loki with a Berserker Rage teamup I suppose, but that shouldn't be much of a challenge.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Things vs Doom would fit the character. Or Thing vs Surfer.

I think most likely is thing vs Torch
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    Never buy covers that don't make your character immediately usable.
  • Hayek
    Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options
    A little off-topic, but it's always interesting to find anecdotal evidence in these 4* DDQ threads that D3 makes certain covers purposely scarce. Most people have a very lopsided greenflag.png / yellowflag.png Thing. Instead of rotating all 3 colors in progression rewards, redflag.png doesn't seem to come up much, and when it does, it's for placement (2/500 people get). Maybe this is to encourage cover purchase with imcoin.png ? This seems to be the case with XFDP purpleflag.png as well as a few others. My own Thing is 3/5/5, and I had 2 lucky red pulls from LTs.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hayek wrote:
    A little off-topic, but it's always interesting to find anecdotal evidence in these 4* DDQ threads that D3 makes certain covers purposely scarce. Most people have a very lopsided greenflag.png / yellowflag.png Thing. Instead of rotating all 3 colors in progression rewards, redflag.png doesn't seem to come up much, and when it does, it's for placement (2/500 people get). Maybe this is to encourage cover purchase with imcoin.png ? This seems to be the case with XFDP purpleflag.png as well as a few others. My own Thing is 3/5/5, and I had 2 lucky red pulls from LTs.

yellowflag.pngredflag.png for any character is by far the most common token for me.
  • GMadMan040
    Options
    Did someone actually say "I hope it's Human Torch"?

HT, either version, is a beast at 270 and 1 on 1. Dude is a damage dealing machine.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GMadMan040 wrote:
    Did someone actually say "I hope it's Human Torch"?

HT, either version, is a beast at 270 and 1 on 1. Dude is a damage dealing machine.
    But at least you'll be going after the same colors.
  • Loved Thing until I used Patch and Loki against his team. Saved enough for a red, green, and black move. Maxed out thing created 3600 point in protect tiles, which I turned into strike tiles for me. Paired with Patch's strike tiles I had around 5500 points in strike tiles around 2k in protect tiles. Rip through a maxed out 4* team like butter. I almost never see him left on defense, but when I do, I jump at him. Shame too because I like the idea of the character with the protect tiles, but such a simple trick can easily get your whole team killed. Still fun for pve though.
  • HT would be a cool opponent if you can deny red and black. He ruins his own green because he won't let it build up. Any time he has enough green built up to do real damage, he casts another CD and there isn't enough green left to hurt.
  • Saw somebody post that it seems like most people kept getting yellow and green for Thing and went through the same thing trying to get DPX pink. Went exactly the same way for me. Just got both of those hard to get colors. Still 105 on Carnage and 410 for PX. Can't get those third covers to save my life.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Torch it is!

EDIT: Two tries so far with my 2/5/4 Thing, both losses. First was a curbstomp, second was close as I managed to get a lot of green and give Torch the Yancy Street Special twice, but he also got off two Fireballs against me. May have to use boosts...
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Won on my fifth try with a 0/5/5, using black/green AP boosts, all damage and red/yellow damage. Denying black and red is top priority because if he gets a fireball chain going, or places Inferno tiles you can't immediately get rid of, it's game over. I saved Yancey Street Special for when I needed to shake up the board, and in my winning attempt that rewarded me with a match-five whose damage swung the fight.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Level 155 4/4/5 Thing. No boosts, first attempt. A lot of it was luck, naturally, but this was how I went at it.

Figured whatever power a 270 Torch could fire would be bad news for my little Thing, so focused 100% ap denial - took useless colours if it stopped Torch getting red green and black, eventually bopped Torch with red once and green twice, finishing him without taking any hits. Didn't even see what teamup Torch had.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After getting eeking out a win with my 2/0/1 Carnage, my 1/2/1 Thing will not be making the attempt.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Got him on the third try with no boosts, but it was very close - I had less than 500 hit points left when the game was over. I saved Yancy Street Special until Torch put out an Inferno and managed to take out most of the attack tiles, that was crucial to my win.
  • xequalsy
    xequalsy Posts: 231
    Options
    Got him on my second try - Level 140 3/2/2. Needed to get off red three times and green twice. Green saved me from inferno (just!) by taking out some of the attack tiles and cascading into enough red for my third red cast. Ended at 345 health!

I was rewarded with... Thing yellow, taking him up to 3/3/2 icon_razz.gif

Good luck to everyone else trying! My tip is to probably save the green cast until he casts black, in case you get lucky and take out most of the tiles.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First match with my L190 2/5/5 Thing was really close, but he got his aggressive recon TU off at a crucial moment and that sealed the deal for him.

Second match was an easy win for me thanks to a couple of lucky green match-5's.

Legendary token was a dud with a yellow Thoress, though.