Potentially returning. Need some help though.

Options
Arondite
Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm considering coming back to MPQ, but it's been a LONG time time since I left.

My departure was shortly after the Wolverine (X-Force) Nerfs, so of course I'm out of the loop on everything that's happened since.

When I left, I had two accounts - one in a top 10 Alliance that regularly won PvP events, and a F2P account that was in a T50 Alliance and placed top 20 or so in PvP, and usually won PvE events. For reasons I won't/can't go into, I'll only have access to my F2P account if I return, and I definitely doubt Id be spending on the game. Anyway, the account looks like this
166 Deadpool
166 Thor
160 Wolverine X Force
150 Luke Cage (Cover Maxed)
140 Hood (Cover Maxed; Underleveled so Thor tanks Yellow)
140 Wolverine
135 Loki (Cover Maxed)
130 Steve Rogers
125 Kamala Khan (Cover Maxed)
125 Iron Fist
120 Blade (Cover Maxed)
120 Human Torch (Cover Maxed)
120 Gamora (Cover Maxed)
120 Hulk (Cover Maxed)
120 Cyclops
117 Black Panther
114 Rocket and Groot
114 Sentry
114 Magneto
110 Dr Doom
110 Punisher
105 Squirrel Girl (Cover Maxed)
104 Scarlet Witch
102 Dakken
100 Daredevil (Cover Maxed)
100 Mystique (Cover Maxed)
100 Black Widow
100 Collosus
100 Iron Man (Hulk Buster)
90 Nick Fury
86 Professor Xavier
74 Thoress
53 She-Hulk
45 Iron Man (40)
94 2-Stars
20 Juggernaut

600K ISO-8
3.5K Hero Points

Basically, my questions before I return would be
-what major changes have taken place, besides character releases?
-how high might I expect to place in events now, given my roster?
-what sort of Alliance might I expect to be able to join?
-what should my goal for investment / advancement as far as new characters go?
-is PvP still the way to go for building your roster, compared to PvE?

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Biggest changes since then are likely the rapid increase in the release rate of 4*'s, the introduction of Legendary tokens (contain either 4* or 5* characters only), and the introduction of bonus Command Points with HP purchases.

I've all but stopped playing myself, so I'm bound to be corrected. I used to regularly play to 1000 points in PvP without using shields - so I'd end up settling at about 700-800 points by the end of the event. I was using 2 max level 4*'s and max level featured character. That was usually enough to stay in the top 100. I think you'd probably need to be lucky to finish in top 100 with that roster.
  • Arondite
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    Biggest changes since then are likely the rapid increase in the release rate of 4*'s, the introduction of Legendary tokens (contain either 4* or 5* characters only), and the introduction of bonus Command Points with HP purchases.

I've all but stopped playing myself, so I'm bound to be corrected. I used to regularly play to 1000 points in PvP without using shields - so I'd end up settling at about 700-800 points by the end of the event. I was using 2 max level 4*'s and max level featured character. That was usually enough to stay in the top 100. I think you'd probably need to be lucky to finish in top 100 with that roster.

Hmm, if 700-800 is good for T100 I'll have no problem getting T100 then. I usually score about 900, but can do 1K if I want the 4-star. With there being so many 4-stars now though, I don't know which ones to actually push for haha.

What's the per-player expected contribution (Per Event and Per Season) for a T100 Alliance?

And what's a Command Point?
  • Heartburn
    Options
    welcome potentially back!
    I hung around after the nerfs was banking on "we will help you get more 4*s" but life didn't give me the extra time to use those avenues efficiently so i made small gains 3*/roster slots but fell further and further behind in the meta 4* plus, i have the team to progress just not the time now. so i left playing but hang around the forums to see what being cooked up.
    1)5 star.png s, Legendary tokens( 4* with chance at 5*), 4* DDQ- made for ppl in 4* to 5*, not 3* to 4* icon_cry.gif
    2) PVP will be tough with partial 4*s more available and 5*s ( high match damage with good abilities get stronger based more based on lvl vs covers) in the mix but you should be hidden from most up to ~700 pts and can make some progress goal will be to hit 1000 pts consistently once 3* roster is developed.
    3)pass
    4)the strong 3* IF, LC, Cyc, SW ect with be a good base, to move to 4* some good combos PX,3* BW, 4* JG/whoever, Hulkbuster /IF
    5)Pvp short term will net the best rewards/vs time, but PVE has the advantage to help with 4*s for later with winnable legendary tokens if you can play through it normal with essentials 2-3 clears is all that is need but with your roster it may be all out until you have more essentials (now 2*/3*/4*. 4* essential hold CPs hostage, then the patience to get the CP is another feat with all the 20 iso rewards) may be demanding so ddq3* and PVP, PVE if you are amibitious
  • Arondite
    Options
    Dude, Troll gone?

I bet these forums are heaven, now.

Mod Edit: Please do not call out players or forum users by name. Thanks.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My advice is to stay away, you'll regret coming back! Keep the fond memories you have of MPQ and continue living your life icon_razz.gif
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the changes have mostly been covered. Only other things I can think might be different is that PvP scoring has changed so each match is worth 50% more than before (so 38 not 25 is for equal point totals, 75 not 50 is max) and PvE now has 2*, 3*, and 4* essential nodes instead of the 3 all being for the featured 3*. Having missed so many 4* releases you may find PvE slightly harder to begin with because of that. With all your time off, I imagine you would be placed in a noob bracket though, so you may be able to win those 4* you are missing even without all the essentials.

One note for PvP scoring change, your losses are 50% greater too, so the frustration is in some ways even bigger. Its quite easy to lose 100-200 points while fighting a single match.

As for progressing, I would definitely focus on getting and leveling cyclops, scarlet witch, and iron fist. I would probably also look to maxing out kamala khan and luke cage. These for the most part represent the top tier of 3*, and are still quite useful even when you start get usable 4*. Due to weekly buffs there are quite a few more characters that are really nice to have, but they are not quite as important as the ones mentioned above. I'll leave it to you to figure out who you like most.

PvP is still the best place for covers since 1k is fairly reachable and is a guaranteed 4* cover. Time commitments are way lower than PvE so you get more bang for your buck. The one exception to that is a release PvE like the Hulk event going on now. These are the only ways to win multiple 4* covers at once, so many put a very high priority on placing well in them.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Was Deadpool Daily PvE a thing when you left? That will help you continue building your 3* roster a lot.

I'm not sure what top 100 alliances ask for in PvP now, but I'm in a top 50 (Wrecking Crew) that asks for people to average at least 800 points (rolling average over the last three events).

I suspect they're going to give out some bonus stuff for the holidays (not Anniversary 1 levels, but freebies), based on the themed version of the recruiting button in the game. This might be a decent time to dive back in.
  • Arondite
    Options
    Loaded it up and played a round. Was kinda sad to see they did away with the "welcome back" free 4-star cover. I was kinda factoring that into my return haha
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are you on LINE?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    Was Deadpool Daily PvE a thing when you left? That will help you continue building your 3* roster a lot.

I'm not sure what top 100 alliances ask for in PvP now, but I'm in a top 50 (Wrecking Crew) that asks for people to average at least 800 points (rolling average over the last three events).

I suspect they're going to give out some bonus stuff for the holidays (not Anniversary 1 levels, but freebies), based on the themed version of the recruiting button in the game. This might be a decent time to dive back in.

thought top 100 was demanding 1000 + pts maybe that is end of season) what is this theme thing maybe overlooking it or dont see it on steam.

i say if you play somewhat you should not have a problem getting into a top 100 PVE but i say you wont have any chance at at 100 PVP. Just depends on your scores.
  • Arondite
    Options
    Are you on LINE?

I can be. What's up?
  • Arondite
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

thought top 100 was demanding 1000 + pts maybe that is end of season) what is this theme thing maybe overlooking it or dont see it on steam.

i say if you play somewhat you should not have a problem getting into a top 100 PVE but i say you wont have any chance at at 100 PVP. Just depends on your scores.

I'm 900 for the current PvP, would that be too low for T100 standards?
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    900 is perfectly reasonable for a t100 alliance. T100 placement depends on the slice.
  • Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My Top 50 alliance asks for 800 minimum for all season events, usually most players who reach that finish top 50 in each event, depending on what slice you pick.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    Are you on LINE?

I can be. What's up?
    To do well in PvP, joining Line is even more important now.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alkyoneus wrote:
    My Top 50 alliance asks for 800 minimum for all season events, usually most players who reach that finish top 50 in each event, depending on what slice you pick.
    eh, not always the case. I'm at 1041 in hood pvp over 9 hrs out and t50 has already surpassed 1K. I'm currently at #58. can be wide swings between slices.
  • Wow op..impressive..2 T50 accounts!! Which teams were those if you don't mind me asking?
  • Arondite
    Options
    hurcules wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    Are you on LINE?

I can be. What's up?

What is the reason for that?
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    hurcules wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    Are you on LINE?

I can be. What's up?

Because you can coordinate your hops with others in the same slice as yours. Meaning you line up a player while they are hopping, then they shield, then you hop and essentially get free points because they won't lose anything. This will increase the overall scores for everyone (also causing t100 placement awards harder to attain, but makes the 1k and 1.3k progression reward easier to attain). Also, since the person you hopped off of won't lose any points, they won't be mad and come back at your with their whole alliance sniping you left and right.
  • Arondite
    Options
    grunth13 wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    hurcules wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    I can be. What's up?

Because you can coordinate your hops with others in the same slice as yours. Meaning you line up a player while they are hopping, then they shield, then you hop and essentially get free points because they won't lose anything. This will increase the overall scores for everyone (also causing t100 placement awards harder to attain, but makes the 1k and 1.3k progression reward easier to attain). Also, since the person you hopped off of won't lose any points, they won't be mad and come back at your with their whole alliance sniping you left and right.

Oh, same as always basically.