DDQ Cylcops vs IMHB

Pongie
Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Started off with my 4/4/1 lvl 120 using damage boost but didn't even get him below 10k before I got punched. After several attempts, I decided to level cyclops up to 140. That worked out slightly better but could not deny red, black and blue for too long. Finally, I decided to boost ap instead and make up the damage by levelling to 150. Got a fairly good red cascade to launch it twice fairly early. Then I got lucky to collect more red, enough for two more while having 12 team up aps. That was just enough (was actually at 9 team up aps and after my next team up match, iron man casted blue but luckily did not match any red. Otherwise I would have lost it).

The prize was ant man purple. My 5th of that colour.

Comments

• I'm a little disappointed that they apparently have decided to just press on through the rotation, regardless of how new the character is. With the botched Cyclops release, not many people have covers for him. I luckily pulled my 4th red from the DDQ vault this week to take him to 4/2/1, level 152 - so I'll probably be able to finish this one. But this means that my X-23, Ghost Rider, and Chulk which have 7 covers combined aren't going to have a chance. I really think this was the time to reset the rotation and give people enough of a chance to earn covers for the newer characters before most of the player-base gets frustrated with near-impossible battles.
  • Pongie
    @OJSP Saw your thread so I deleted mine only to find you deleted yours too. Luckily I still have my post in the clipboard so I didn't have to type it out again.

Anyway, I found yellow to be surprisingly good to ramp red. Let ironman matched some black/blue while I collected team ups for a full blast.
  • I actually got a strange amusement from seeing that, today, when the forum is going mad about other issues, we're given a DDQ challenge against possibly the toughest 4* character, using a character for whom the launch event was already a massive point of contention and won't be well covered by most. PR success all round icon_e_biggrin.gif !

I might have a couple of lucky stabs with my 3/1/0, but not really trying on this one
  • I'm a little disappointed that they apparently have decided to just press on through the rotation, regardless of how new the character is. With the botched Cyclops release, not many people have covers for him. I luckily pulled my 4th red from the DDQ vault this week to take him to 4/2/1, level 152 - so I'll probably be able to finish this one. But this means that my X-23, Ghost Rider, and Chulk which have 7 covers combined aren't going to have a chance. I really think this was the time to reset the rotation and give people enough of a chance to earn covers for the newer characters before most of the player-base gets frustrated with near-impossible battles.

should only be 2-3 weeks before the reset now though. I know I'd quite like to have a go with my 0/5/2 RHulk this weekend
  • Pongie
    My red hulk covers are well balanced at 2/2/2, x23 is more lop sided with 1/2/5. Ghost rider is 1/3/1 and Cho is 3/1/2. All of which will need a lot of luck.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought he may have fought C Storm, that would've been awful.
    Attempt 1: 4/2/1, 120, no boosts, was doing well till HB cascade red and ended it.
    Attempt 2: leveled to 152 (max possible), boost +2 TU ap, +2 purple/ blue ap, 100% match damage
    TZEes8t.png?1
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Actually beat on first try w/ my level 173, 522 cyk using all color/TU, dmg boosts. Very lucky board full of reds, yels. triggered yel, then made a 4 match tu and got some more tu aps to fill up red quickly. 10k damage firing red. Then made a bunch of tu matches again to fire red a second time.

When Lady Luck is on your side, Crash of Titans is a breeze. icon_cool.gif

Unfortunately, my Rulk is poorly covered and I'll be skipping next week's crash node. icon_redface.gif
  • Dimh
    Dimh Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Maxed cover, was fairly elementary. I did get the pleasure of having IMHB kill himself with overdrive.

Achievement Unlocked!
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    No chance with my lvl 111, 0/3/1 Cyke against One Punch Man. Without a red cover, Uncanny Strategist is useless for anything other than showing my backside. Which I did, repeatedly, before he fired off Repulser Punch.

A hard DDQ, but a fair one if you've got the covers I think.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2015
    16 failed attempts so far but I never got a cascade and I know I only need one to make it.

Best attempt
    Screenshot_2015_12_14_10_26_30.png
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    This is my first time using my Cyclops (4/1/1) and have some questions: 1) his red ability says that if you have over 10 Team-Up AP it "uses that instead". My reading was that it would use the 10 team-up instead of 10 red AP. But when I used the power it drained 10 AP of both. Is that how it's supposed to work?

And 2) it also says that red power will destroy a chosen row. When I used it it just destroyed the one time I selected. I know this because if it had destroyed the chosen row it would've made a cascade to give me 3 more red AP which would have allowed me to fire off my ability again. Instead, it destroyed just the one tile, I didn't get the red AP, and HB repulsor punched me to death the next turn.

Are these bugs or working as intended?
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2015
    This is my first time using my Cyclops (4/1/1) and have some questions: 1) his red ability says that if you have over 10 Team-Up AP it "uses that instead". My reading was that it would use the 10 team-up instead of 10 red AP. But when I used the power it drained 10 AP of both. Is that how it's supposed to work?

And 2) it also says that red power will destroy a chosen row. When I used it it just destroyed the one time I selected. I know this because if it had destroyed the chosen row it would've made a cascade to give me 3 more red AP which would have allowed me to fire off my ability again. Instead, it destroyed just the one tile, I didn't get the red AP, and HB repulsor punched me to death the next turn.

If you have 10 teamups, it uses both, does extra damage, and clears a row. This means you need 20 reds (or 30) and 20 teamups (or 30) to win this match. Not sure how many times you're going to have to red at 4 covers, but it's at least 2.

Good luck everyone attempting this. If you feel you have a shot don't be afraid to dump some iso. He is worth.
  • This is my first time using my Cyclops (4/1/1) and have some questions: 1) his red ability says that if you have over 10 Team-Up AP it "uses that instead". My reading was that it would use the 10 team-up instead of 10 red AP. But when I used the power it drained 10 AP of both. Is that how it's supposed to work?

1) instead of dealing damage and destroying one tile it deals extra damage and destroys the row. Base cost is always the same 10 red.

2) it doesn't generates ap, only blue does that.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    lvl 172 3/4/2 4Clops got him on the 4th try, the ones i lost, i didn't get close, the one i won, i was barely touched. But nice to win one of these, it's been a while!
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/4, 194, did it first try but board was extraordinarily kind, mostly Pink/yellow/green/TU. So I got yellow out 3rd turn, and got to 20 red really quick.

Rhulk will be fine, my 2/3/3 should be enough (I hope). Ghost Rider, Cho and X23 will be painful.
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    ShionSinX wrote:

1) instead of dealing damage and destroying one tile it deals extra damage and destroys the row. Base cost is always the same 10 red.

2) it doesn't generates ap, only blue does that.

Ah ok - so you need to have the 10 team-up AP to destroy the whole row. Got it. I still think the description reads as if it only uses 10 team-up AP instead of 10 red AP. Should read "instead uses 10 team-up AP and 10 red AP....".
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5 190 Cyke. First try with blue/red/yellow AP boosts - threw down the yellow early and finished him with a Called Shot/Combined Arms combo on turn 10 or 11.

1/3/1 Red Hulk will probably be a lot harder. icon_e_confused.gif
  • lymang
    lymang Posts: 97 Match Maker
    I tried once with my 0/2/2 lvl106 Cyc and if I get really really lucky with blue I might last a short while. Seems unlikely though. I won't probably complete many till we get back around to the beginning of the 4stars.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I won this battle when at 1k health left HulkBuster decided to punch me for lethal and immediately after go in to Overdrive killing himself AFTER he already killed me..

YEAH BUGS!

I was rewarded by my 8th Reed Black.. after opening my 5th IW Yellow in 12 4* pulls from the season token. FMMPQL.
  • Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Did really poorly with my 421 level 140 Cyclops and after losing 10 matches, bought the last red and beat him easily.

The difference between 4 and 5 red is staggering.