Malcrof's take on the exploit and forum reaction

Options
Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
My tinfoil-hatted head says this was used moderately and gave some an unfair advantage. D3 knew but these shills/rabbits didn't hurt their bottom line because players had to try to keep up with them, but spending actual ducats. Once the cheaters started exploiting the expensive 5*s, they cared and it became obvious to casual observers because it's so hard to get them legitimately.

Mod Edit: Apparently i have a reputation to uphold! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Ok, reading through this, and other than the joy of trolling Dr Strange i got from editing his post..

Here is my take on this exploit... 99% of the people i see are posting because:

A. they are jealous they didn't know bout it, because they would probably have used it (will freely admit, if i had known abut it, i would probably have tried it at least once).. i know myself

B. Sadness because it's been around a while, and they didn't get a chance to use it, as it was not an equal opportunity exploit (steam users **** again)

C. Someone who cheated kicked their tinykitty in pvp.. which is the only place a persons roster would even matter (since a soft capped lvl 90 is winning pve yet again!, now this is worthy of a 10 page thread, that is one hell of an exploit..staying under-leveled for a huge advantage), and because most of the cheaters per the mmr were only getting matched against others with high 5*s, they were fighting other cheaters.. wait, why would this bother you?

It's not like this was a zero day exploit .. apparently it's been around longer than most of the posters in the thread..

Sorry they fixed it before you could use it, measures are being taken.. and i'm sure you can catch the next one.

Comments

• Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    My tinfoil-hatted head says this was used moderately and gave some an unfair advantage. D3 knew but these shills/rabbits didn't hurt their bottom line because players had to try to keep up with them, but spending actual ducats. Once the cheaters started exploiting the expensive 5*s, they cared and it became obvious to casual observers because it's so hard to get them legitimately.

Ok, reading through this, and other than the joy of trolling Dr Strange i got from editing his post..

A. they are jealous they didn't know bout it, because they would probably have used it (will freely admit, if i had known abut it, i would probably have tried it at least once).. i know myself

B. Sadness because it's been around a while, and they didn't get a chance to use it, as it was not an equal opportunity exploit (steam users **** again)

C. Someone who cheated kicked their tinykitty in pvp.. which is the only place a persons roster would even matter (since a soft capped lvl 90 is winning pve yet again!, now this is worthy of a 10 page thread, that is one hell of an exploit..staying under-leveled for a huge advantage), and because most of the cheaters per the mmr were only getting matched against others with high 5*s, they were fighting other cheaters.. wait, why would this bother you?

It's not like this was a zero day exploit .. apparently it's been around longer than most of the posters in the thread..

Sorry they fixed it before you could use it, measures are being taken.. and i'm sure you can catch the next one.

This is exactly the kind of post I would expect from someone who is a cheater themselves. Claiming everyone else would have become a cheater as well, if only they were more clever or quicker to exploit. But since they were too slow and too stupid to cheat, they are mad now. Amazing.
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Konman wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    <snip>
    This is exactly the kind of post I would expect from someone who is a cheater themselves. Claiming everyone else would have become a cheater as well, if only they were more clever or quicker to exploit. But since they were too slow and too stupid to cheat, they are mad now. Amazing.
    My thoughts exactly, what I found amazing was that it came from a moderator of the forums... I guess D3 put about as much effort into picking their coders as they do their moderators. Disappointed to say the least.

Fortunately we have fight4thedream!
    Therefore, we ask that the following questions be answered:
    <more snip>
    - What actions have been taken to fix the exploit?
    - How long have you been aware of the exploit?
    These are the two I'd like to see answered most, because I'm concerned there won't actually be a fix.

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • wuweird
    wuweird Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Here is my take on this exploit... 99% of the people i see are posting because: <snide comments that would be considered an attack post by anyone else>
    Hey D3, you might want to have a good hard look at who you're letting moderate your forums. I seriously have no words for how offensive this is.

If you cannot grasp that people might be genuinely angry that a competitive game with microtransactions had an exploit that gave an unknown number of users an unfair advantage for an extended period of time...I don't know how to explain it to you. You're seriously projecting a whole lot of **** on people who deserve a hell of a lot better than this.

And you're laughing about trolling people with your mod privileges? Seriously, grow up or keep quiet.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

This is a terrible post, and a slam against the entire player base. So only 1% of players feel this is deplorable because cheating is wrong and we should play fair? You're saying that 99% of us are only upset because we didn't get to cheat?!
  • Helen keller
    Helen keller Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    Malcrof your post is offensive and your logic is flawed, most of us have opportunities to cheat on a daily basis in life and fight the urge if there is one
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

Look, you're free to have your own opinion, but that post comes off horribly (as you've seen from some of the responses before mine).

While I understand the difference between a green post, a green post in mod colors, and a red post, I'm sure that a lot of people do not.

To use your phrasing

Here's my take on your post. 99% of the things I see in your post are:

A. "People are only posting because they're sad they didn't get to use the exploit. I'd have cheated myself if I knew!"

B. "People are only posting because they're sad they didn't get to use the exploit!"

C. "If you're not sad that you didn't get to use the exploit, then you must be upset that someone with a better roster than you beat you! Why would you be upset at someone cheating in a competitive game?"

"Don't worry, if you want to cheat like I want to, we'll get to cheat when we find a new bug!"

I think the content of that post is more of an actual troll than writing some orange text at the bottom of someone else's post.

Edit: Meanwhile, on the complete opposite side of the spectrum, we have Fight4thedream, who went through the thread and actually summarized everyone's concerns. What a world of difference.
  • _Vitto
    _Vitto Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

...wow.

I wish there was a down-vote button like there is the up-vote one.
  • Thorzhamer
    Thorzhamer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

you sir are we tad it.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

How is this okay??? How is this upholding a reputation?? By being a **** as usual and modding people's comments. It is not okay to wonder where you are, but it's okay to bash the whole damn community? How is that trolling either? Because you have rights to mod and censor? Its affected the whole community one way or another, that's why it bothers us. Cheating is cheating no matter how you put it. There's a lot of people that probably did know about it and chose not to use it. It's called moral fiber, which some people have that regardless of what the temptation is and even if they knew they wouldn't get caught, would not do it.... So don't try to defend cheating as a "haters gonna hate because you missed it" and assume that 99% are like you and would have done it. Youur post also comes off as one that would have done it...

I'm tired of your behavior amongst this community and I am reporting you. You don't rate to be a moderator and hope you are removed as one. Everything you wrote is highly offensive and a person in your position should know better than to write such things and slander everyone.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

I just lost all respect for you. It would be bad enough for a regular forum member to say this but as a moderator this is absolutely unacceptable. Justifying cheating by saying "everyone else would do it if they knew how" shows the complete lack of morals you have. There are a lot of us that feel cheated by the game right now due to **** 5* draw rates we've experienced and yet we still wouldn't consider cheating. I'd sooner uninstall the game then cheat to get more 5* covers and I'm sure most of the gamers on here feel the same way.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yikes.

First, I want to address the modding of my post. In this case, I don't really mind or think that was malicious or an abuse; I poked him with my comment and he poked back. Fair enough. The rest however ...

What a horrible way to look at your fellow players. So little respect. And none for yourself. I don't know what world you live in, but it's not the one I do.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yikes.

First, I want to address the modding of my post. In this case, I don't really mind or think that was malicious or an abuse; I poked him with my comment and he poked back. Fair enough. The rest however ...

What a horrible way to look at your fellow players. So little respect. And none for yourself. I don't know what world you live in, but it's not the one I do.

First, i appreciate you took the mod as the joke it was. Nothing more.

As to the other replies.. You want to know where my point of view comes from? Easy, it's called experience ad life.

Here is an example.. the other game i play.. Diablo 3.. i play on the Xbox (formerly 360, now on the One).. People hack.. they hack their items and have these insane characters that can mow through high level GRifts and when i go multiplayer and see them.. i have 2 emotions.. Jealousy and pissed. I want to do what they do, have the best stuff, run through high level Grifts like they are not there.. get whatever they want... But..here i sit with what i thought was awesome gear, being 1 shot by a enemies in a grift i am hitching a ride in.. because i have no skills or inclination to hack the game.. and yah, it angers me that Blizzard, one of the largest makers of online games can't stop a 12 year old from hacking their game..

So i head to the diablo 3 forums (quick google search gets your there) and you will find that i am nowhere near alone in this.. more threads about hackers than you would think (and good luck finding anyone other than players responding).. one well known person with hacked items.. happens to work at a local gamestop near me. He gets probably 20 or more requests a day via forum PM from people wanting him to dupe hacked items for them, so they can have the big gear, without any of the work... many of these people are the very same ones that if you search their posts, are the ones who publicly speak out against it.. funny world huh. I expect no more or less of anyone else here. But i understand the compulsion.

Say what you want publicly as loud and angry as you want, but if you have ever seen someone win the lottery, or a jackpot at a casino.. and not wished there was an easy way for it to be you.. you are either already where you want to be.. or 99% lying.

So, now on to what we should be doing in this thread.. which is what Fight did.. ask the real questions..

One has to do with something that goes with my Diablo 3 Story.. What is being done about missed allance rewards because of exploiters? Many people have benefited secondhand from the exploit (like the paragon levels i get from uber grifts when hackers open then and i end up a tagalong).. are their alliancemates who had no knowledge of the exploit, but benefited with alliance rewards from scores put up by those who were exploiting.. robbing others of placements and alliance rewards.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    thats your life? Lol. How sad.

Although it gives me an opportunity to use a Varsity Blues quote: "Ah don't want....your laaafff" icon_lol.gif

Give me a break. You're accusing us of having the same cheating value system as you do. F off.
  • Helen keller
    Helen keller Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    It's ironic you used diablo3 as an example, I did benefit from my friend having hacked gear on PS3/PS4 and he power leveled me a few hundred paragons in minutes, although I know cheats/hacks water down an experience, weeks later I broke down and accepted hacked gear from him, its essentially a single player/coop game on PlayStation, no leaderboards, not ruining the game for anyone right? It RUINED the game for ME, I learned from that experience, maybe some of your other 99% has too...
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Yikes.

As to the other replies.. You want to know where my point of view comes from? Easy, it's called experience ad life.

Here is an example.. the other game i play.. Diablo 3.. i play on the Xbox (formerly 360, now on the One).. People hack.. they hack their items and have these insane characters that can mow through high level GRifts and when i go multiplayer and see them.. i have 2 emotions.. Jealousy and pissed. I want to do what they do, have the best stuff, run through high level Grifts like they are not there.. get whatever they want... But..here i sit with what i thought was awesome gear, being 1 shot by a enemies in a grift i am hitching a ride in.. because i have no skills or inclination to hack the game.. and yah, it angers me that Blizzard, one of the largest makers of online games can't stop a 12 year old from hacking their game..

So i head to the diablo 3 forums (quick google search gets your there) and you will find that i am nowhere near alone in this.. more threads about hackers than you would think (and good luck finding anyone other than players responding).. one well known person with hacked items.. happens to work at a local gamestop near me. He gets probably 20 or more requests a day via forum PM from people wanting him to dupe hacked items for them, so they can have the big gear, without any of the work... many of these people are the very same ones that if you search their posts, are the ones who publicly speak out against it.. funny world huh. I expect no more or less of anyone else here. But i understand the compulsion.

Say what you want publicly as loud and angry as you want, but if you have ever seen someone win the lottery, or a jackpot at a casino.. and not wished there was an easy way for it to be you.. you are either already where you want to be.. or 99% lying.

So, now on to what we should be doing in this thread.. which is what Fight did.. ask the real questions..

One has to do with something that goes with my Diablo 3 Story.. What is being done about missed allance rewards because of exploiters? Many people have benefited secondhand from the exploit (like the paragon levels i get from uber grifts when hackers open then and i end up a tagalong).. are their alliancemates who had no knowledge of the exploit, but benefited with alliance rewards from scores put up by those who were exploiting.. robbing others of placements and alliance rewards.

I strongly disagree with your post, and I think people with that attitude you described are stupid. As I am sure you and many other players are aware, for my youtube channel, I have a sandboxed account. Long before I ever made a youtube video, I had that sandboxed account, because I wanted to have all the maxed characters. This was before I even had to worry about alliance membership. I had played the game on my phone for a couple of days, and then downloaded the Steam version thinking I could easily hack it. After maxing out every character, and playing for about 2 hours, I got bored. I had everything in the game. There was nothing to work towards. I had no sense of accomplishment from having the best stuff in the game. It was a given I would win every match. It wasn't until months later, when I decided to start making youtube videos of the game that I even touched my sandboxed account again. I only played on my regular phone account, only using the sandboxed account for entertainment/educational purposes. I don't think most normal people just want to jump into a game and get the best stuff, because it ruins the game. It takes away something to strive for. Only the most lazy and unmotivated people will actually want the best stuff without working from day 1.

And in reference to your Diablo 3 example, I would like to share my own example from a similar game, Torchlight II. I played that game for about 50 hours, and got to the endgame gear grind, like what Diablo has. I then walked into a game with a hacker that proceeded to throw every maxed out item on the ground and then left the game. I figured, cool, why not take all that max gear? Within 3 hours, I stopped playing a game I had put 50 hours into, because the lack of anything to work towards made the game meaningless and boring.

So I think your characterization of most people as cheaters if they can is really off. And comparing cheating in a game to cheating to win the lottery is not even remotely comparable and a really poor comparison to make.
  • Kheiron
    Kheiron Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Malcrof, I'm pretty sure pulling a Trump and doubling down on your comment wasn't the best way to go. And you also used one of the worst possible examples to justify it. I also play Diablo 3. And I have no doubt people cheat. But there's basically ZERO competition on Diablo, so their cheating has absolutely no impact on anything I'm doing. It sucks that they're cheating, but it doesn't hurt my chances at getting items/farming/etc. Since this is a competitive game, the cheating impacts everyone, which is a massive difference you seem to be overlooking. And as others have said, we all have chances to cheat almost every day. The vast majority of people don't. So it's really short-sighted to simply say "eh, you guys all would have done it." Since you are a mod, saying things like that implies that you're excusing it and basically telling everyone else to suck it up, and since you have a green name, it's going to reflect worse on you than if a regular forum member said it. Just something to think about. Just because the internet gives everyone anonymity doesn't mean it's ok to suddenly not have morals.

As for the actual exploit...it would go a long way to explain some of the rosters I've seen with multiple copies of each 5* already. It's unfortunate that it wasn't addressed much sooner. I think fight laid out the biggest questions that should be addressed. I just hope D3 is more transparent than they have been in the past with exactly how they're going to address all of this going forward. So I'll reserve judgement on it until they give a more thorough explanation of everything.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Yikes.

You have a very jaded view of your fellow gamer and people in general. So because you are the type of person that gets jealous of what others have and actively went out to find ways to cheat at a game so that you could have it all as well, you assume that everyone else would do it if they could. Anyone can find cheats for any game, you just have to Google it to find them. Most people choose not to cheat. I had Diablo 3 for the PC on release (man it sucked then), PS3 on release, and then the PS4 on release and have a few hundred hours in the game. As cheating became more prevalent and effected my gaming experience I moved on to another game. Blizzard didn't address the issue so I found other games to occupy my time. This is the common, healthy response that most gamers will choose, not cheating.

So do you believe that 99% of all people cheat to help justify your own need to cheat or have you surrounded yourself with so many cheaters that it's all you know? You have no business being a moderator for a video game.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    <snip> So, now on to what we should be doing in this thread.. which is what Fight did.. ask the real questions. <snip>

Maybe you should have considered doing that from the start.
  • wuweird
    wuweird Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Seriously, just stop.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh, mods advocating cheating? Well, now I've seen it all. I eagerly look forward to IceIX and HiFi just ignoring this completely.

Ah, would you look at that? All these pages and I nearly forgot to say, "This too shall pass".
This discussion has been closed.