January Community Video: Champions Feature

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Greetings and happy New Year, MPQ fans!

The Marvel Puzzle Quest January Community Video is now available and we invite you to join Demiurge’s Will Jennings-Hess and Miles Benjamin as they discuss the all-new CHAMPIONS feature!

This huge addition to the game gives players the ability to improve and experiment with their favorite 2 to 5-Star heroes (and maybe bring some characters that have been languishing in their rosters – back into the fight).

You can WATCH THE VIDEO HERE.

MPQ_Jan_2016_Video.jpg

Video Details:

- What are Champion Levels?

* Levels beyond the character's level cap.
* Unlimited ability level respecs.
* Each Champion level gives the player a one time reward.
* Makes the character shiny!

- How do you Champion a character?

* Characters are promoted when they are Max level (13 covers and at level cap).
* Cost Iso-8 to Champion a character.
* Use covers to add levels to a character.
* 50 levels can be added to 2-Star characters.
* 100 levels can be added to 3, 4 and 5-Star characters.

- Why are Champion Levels great?

* Everything continues to work the way they did before (buffs, etc).
* Helps players transition to the next tier.
* Introduce new meta into the high level play of the game.
* Another way to earn Covers, Hero Points, Iso-8, Command Points and Legendary Tokens!

- FUTURE!
* Another Galactus Run.
* Quality of life changes in the pipeline (most notably, event scaling).
* New 4 and 5-Star characters.

Comments

• Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2016
    You can champion a 5*???

EDIT: Upon reflection, this isn't as crazy as it sounds. While there'll be some marginal benefit, it'll really just be a badge of honor for the crazy spenders. Even the biggest spender is going to have at most, 20-30 covers on those poor masses who just have a maxed 5* and a bowl of gruel. It's non-zero utility, which is good for them, but not much beyond that, which is good for us.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is cool!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2016
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Greetings and happy New Year, MPQ fans! * 100 levels can be added to 3, 4 and 5-Star characters.

Do 5*'s really need an additional 100 levels?!

Also, disappointed to not see any updates on the Iso shortage. Sure you gain "Iso Rewards" with each Champion level but it takes 20-30k iso to champion a character.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Finally some information! Yay! Unfortunately, I had to sell some of my extra covers for the best characters already (SW and Luke Cage in particular icon_mad.gif )
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't watch the video yet, I'm at work and have no headphones. But thanks for using the video to give us the rundown on Champion-ing!

The ISO-8 cost to champion -- that's one time per character, rather than for each level, right?
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Can't watch the video yet, I'm at work and have no headphones. But thanks for using the video to give us the rundown on Champion-ing!

The ISO-8 cost to champion -- that's one time per character, rather than for each level, right?
    Right. You pay iso to champion the character, and then each cover is a level.
  • Scaling on 5* is going to make championed versions even more imbalanced than they currently are. It seems short sighted to allow that.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    5k-20k iso8.png to make a character a champion.

... when exactly are you going to address the iso shortage most players are experiencing
  • Can't watch the video yet, I'm at work and have no headphones. But thanks for using the video to give us the rundown on Champion-ing!

The Marvel.com one had a screen of it. It was like, 5000 Iso to champion a 2*, but no more Iso needed to level them up, only covers. That 5000 covers every level from 95 to 144, at the low, low cost of "One cover per level, but no iso.", with a side of "Get stuff every time you level them up"

So it's probably a good value in the long run compared to just leveling them up 50 levels normally, with a side of "How much Iso/HP/CP/Other Covers do you get for each level" that is yet to be figured out.
  • fmftint wrote:

... when exactly are you going to address the iso shortage most players are experiencing

Well, 5K covers all 50 levels of the 2* Championing.

....but you'd get 12.5K if you just sold 50 2* covers instead of putting them into a 2*

So, what's a better value for a 144 2*? 17.5K Iso, or having a stronger 3*-tier OBW/Ares + Some Unspecified (Probably less then 17.5K) Amount of Iso, HP, and CP?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any insight on players with duplicate characters?

For instance, I have about 10 dup 3* and 4* characters, any chance I can merge them with my max covered/leveled characters?
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Do we have a date that this goes live?
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    A 5* at level 550... that's now the ticking clock on the game.
  • notamutant
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Do we have a date that this goes live?

December 2016. Stay tuned!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

....but you'd get 12.5K if you just sold 50 2* covers instead of putting them into a 2*

So, what's a better value for a 144 2*? 17.5K Iso, or having a stronger 3*-tier OBW/Ares + Some Unspecified (Probably less then 17.5K) Amount of Iso, HP, and CP?
    what's better value? championing a 2* or putting 5k into your max covered but not max leveled 4*?
  • notamutant
    fmftint wrote:
    colwag wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

what's better value? championing a 2* or putting 5k into your max covered but not max leveled 4*?

In the long run, higher star characters are generally still going to be better than lower ones with higher levels, due to more powerful skills. See the difference between the two Captain Americas. The two star version will still stink even with 100 levels more than a nonboosted 3 star one.
  • fmftint wrote:
    colwag wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

If you're in the 4* range, why are you tossing Champions into 2*s? (Unless like, somehow the Iso bonus actually pays out, or if you'd rather have the Covers/HP/CP given)

...in which case the better question is more "Is it worth Championing a 3*?"

....which will have a 7.5K Startup fee, and take 50K Iso in covers to fully Champion.

Still pretty yikes.

...but eh if you're in the range where you're dumping Iso into 4* levels you're probably making more Iso to level them up once faster then you're getting 3* covers of a specific character. You're still on the Slow But Making Progress train, not stopped on the "I have Max'd out 4*s but not enough 5*s" wall.
  • Cylaali
    Cylaali Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Is there a limit to how many Champions we can have per tier level or is it as many as we want/have?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,978 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2016
    great feature but you missed the boat.. IT could of been great if only one thing was changed

YOU CAN PUSH EXTRA COVERS INTO ANY PERSON and get rewards even if you did not have them to 166.. I mean there are tons of players who do not have the ISO to push their people to 166. it seems this is once again geared toward VETS while the noobies are crushed to learn they can not play.

maybe allow people to add covers to anyone BUT not be able to make them a champion to 166 would of been a better fit. I mean someone who does not have 166 people this will not help them at all

Helps players transition to the next tier. I do not see that happening at all

ALSO say you play pvp now and fight pure 166 teams YET your people are not 166

the 166 push everyone to champs and get 20 covers in a few months

you now have a 140 team Against their 166 X 20 champ levels

Quality of life changes in the pipeline (most notably, event scaling).

love to know what that emans
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    In the long run, higher star characters are generally still going to be better than lower ones with higher levels, due to more powerful skills. See the difference between the two Captain Americas. The two star version will still stink even with 100 levels more than a nonboosted 3 star one.

Are you so sure about this statement? Lower tier characters scale fantastically well. Don't believe me I got a Juggy "headbutt" to show you.

But I'll take your statement at face value and say that, "I'll be really curious to see the stats on a champion 2* cap at (144), vs 166 3* cap.