Quicksilver Updates Coming Soon

Options
David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi everyone,

Demiurge have some cool updates planned for a few characters in the near future that we think you will enjoy. First in line for a bit of tuning is Quicksilver!

Here’s word from the developers:
    “We took some time to evaluate heroes that were under-utilized and re-tune them if necessary. Upon looking at a few heroes, we felt that we could make some substantial changes that would improve their effectiveness and make them more fun to use. For Quicksilver, we felt that he needed to be faster to better reflect his character in the Marvel Universe and make him stronger in the game. We reduced the cost of his Idle Hands and Fists of Fury powers. We also enabled Fists of Fury to further speed up his character by creating Locked tiles. With the new changes, Quicksilver will be using his powers more often and ultimately doing more damage.”

QUICKSILVER UPDATED STATS (Set to go live with the R93 patch)

Idle Hands - 9 Black
Quicksilver just can’t help using his speed to make the enemy look stupid. Swaps the position of 2 selected basic tiles. Costs 1 AP less for every Locked Team-Up tile on the board (minimum 5 AP).
    Level 2: Deals 56 Damage. Level 3: Deals 84 Damage. Level 4: Deals 140 Damage. Level 5: Deals 364 Damage. Max Level: Quicksilver just can’t help using his speed to make the enemy look stupid. Deals 1131 damage. Also swaps the position of 2 selected basic tiles. Costs 1 AP less for every Locked Team-Up tile on the board (minimum 5 AP).

Supersonic - 0 Blue
(PASSIVE) Quicksilver dashes through the battlefield messing with the enemy’s plans and causing a bit of chaos. Whenever anyone makes a Blue match, Quicksilver locks 1 random Team-Up tile. If there are at least 4 locked Team-Up tiles, they detonate, dealing 312 damage to the enemy team instead.
    Level 2: Deals 375 Damage. Level 3: Deals 437 Damage. Level 4: Deals 562 Damage. Level 5: Deal 811 Damage. Max Level: (PASSIVE) Quicksilver dashes through the battlefield messing with the enemy’s plans and causing a bit of chaos. Whenever anyone makes a Blue match, Quicksilver locks 1 random Team-Up tile. If there are at least 4 locked Team-Up tiles, they detonate, dealing 2532 damage to the enemy team instead.

Fists of Fury - 8 Green
Quicksilver grabs his enemy and pummels them with a furious blur of punches. Deals 295 damage to the target, and locks 1 random Team-Up tile. Costs 1 AP less for every Locked Team-Up tile on the board (minimum 5 AP).
    Level 2: Deals 363 Damage. Level 3: Deals 431 Damage. Level 4: Deals 566 Damage. Level 5: Deals 841 Damage. Max Level: Quicksilver grabs his enemy and pummels them with a furious blur of punches. Deals 2625 damage to the target, and locks 1 random Team-Up tile. Costs 1 AP less for every Locked Team-Up tile on the board (minimum 5 AP).

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Current stats from his character thread for comparison:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27134&hilit=quicksilver

Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) icon_quicksilver.png
    3 Star Rarity (Rare) Wiki Link
    At Max Level: HP: 8670 Tile Damage: 11/12/70/13/61/79/4x
      Idle Hands - 11 blacktile.png AP
      Quicksilver just can't help using his speed to make the enemy look stupid. Swaps the position of 2 selected basic tiles. Costs 1 AP less for every Locked tile on the board (minimum 7 AP).
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Also deals 55 damage. Level 3: Deals 110 damage. Level 4: Deals 248 damage. Level 5: Deals 523 damage.
      Max Level
        Level 3 - Deals 348 damage. Level 4 - Deals 783 damage. Level 5 - Deals 1653 damage.

Supersonic - Passive bluetile.png
      (PASSIVE) Quicksilver dashes through the battlefield messing with the enemy's plans and causing a bit of chaos. Whenever anyone makes a Blue match, Quicksilver locks 1 random Team-Up tile. But if there are already at least 4 Locked tiles, they detonate, dealing 190 damage to the enemy team instead.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Deals 251 damage. Level 3: Deals 312 damage. Level 4: Deals 433 damage. Level 5: Deals 678 damage.
      Max Level
        Level 3 - Deals 991 damage. Level 4 - Deals 1377 damage. Level 5 - Deals 2156 damage.

Fists of Fury - 10 greentile.png AP
      Quicksilver grabs his enemy and pummels them with a furious blur of punches. Creates 1 random Critical tile. Costs 1 AP less for every Locked tile on the board (minimum 6 AP).
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Deals 71 damage. Level 3: Deals 137 damage. Level 4: Deals 289 damage. Level 5: Deals 579 damage.
      Max Level
        Level 3 - Deals 435 damage. Level 4 - Deals 921 damage. Level 5 - Deals 1843 damage.

Edit: Updates from pre-release info:
      Idle Hands - AP cost raised from 9 to 11. Damage increased with a large bump at level 5. Removed extra swap from Level 5.
      Fists of Fury - AP cost raised from 9 to 10. Damage increased with a large bump at level 5. Removed extra critical tile from level 5.

Seems like a pretty gentle, reasonable buff. I wish the crit generation on green hadn't been removed.

Summary:
      blackflag.png AP cost reduced by 2, max damage reduced from 1,653 to 1,131
      blueflag.png max team damage increased from 2,156 to 2,532
      greenflag.png AP cost reduced by 2, max damage increased from 1,843 to 2,625; now adds a locked tu tile; no longer creates crit
    • Buret0
      Buret0 Posts: 1,591
      Options
      Since you didn't identify the changes...

Changes that I see:

In the 1 v 1 against IW, Quicksilver would cause the detonation if there were 4 or more locked tiles. Locked tiles must now be Team-up tiles.
      The same is true for the reduction in his AP costs on his other two abilities.

So by "change to make him better" did you mean, "change to make him worse"?

What other changes did you make? Is there a balance or trade-off with a boost to his damage?

AP reduction on his abilities though...
    • turul
      turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
      edited January 2016
      Options
      Its also a nerf. Powers do not count non-TU tiles.

Critical tile generation also lost.

So we should get heightened sell rates.
    • Phaserhawk
      Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Buret0 wrote:

Changes that I see:

In the 1 v 1 against IW, Quicksilver would cause the detonation if there were 4 or more locked tiles. Locked tiles must now be Team-up tiles.

What other changes did you make? Is there a balance or trade-off with a boost to his damage?

So then use her blue to lock TU tiles. What's the deal? This is an amazing change for him. PvP will be hilarious, 2 blue matches and KaBoom!!! This really makes him viable. It's fairly easy to get 3 locked tiles out, so essentially the cost will be 6, not sure how minimum 5 works, since it explodes at 4. The only way this would work is maybe with IW.
    • BlackSheep101
      BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      It explodes *after* 4. So if you have 4 out, you're at minimum cost for his other abilities.
    • Koorogi_859
      Koorogi_859 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
      Options
      Buret0

Changes that I see:

I don't get what the complaint is for. His blue power has always detonated after 4 locked tiles, which have always been Team-up tiles.
    • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
      David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
      Options
      turul wrote:
      So we should get heightened sell rates.

Adjusted sell rates for Quicksilver will be provided for a limited time following the changes. Our hope, of course, is that players won't feel the need to sell after trying out the new version in action.
    • vudu3
      vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
      Options
      The forum welcomes these changes with a resounding 'meh'. Your heart's in the right place but these changes don't make the character usable. Did Idle Hands really need a damage reduction? Did anyone really think that ability was too powerful? Also, why is the minimum cost of Fists of Fury 5 AP and not 4 AP?
    • Phaserhawk
      edited January 2016
      Options
      Here are the changes btw for everyone.

Black--2 less AP all around on minimum and maximum. Dmg nerf

Blue--Dmg boost, now only triggers on a blue match and when there are 4.

Green--2 less AP all around on min and max. Massive dmg boost, loss of crit tile, however creation of locked TU.

QS is finally a little cohesive as green feeds black and blue by creating a locked TU. So If you had 3 TU's, used green, it would create a 4th but not explode because you need a blue match to do it. This definitely changes his play in a good way. 3/5/5 is starting to look like the stronger build now.
    • CaptainFreaky
      CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
      Options
      He still seems pretty meh to me - locked TU's are surprisingly hard/random to keep on the board. And while a bit random, the crit tile his current green creates could be fairly powerful at times. I suppose increasing damage on green makes up for lack of crit tile. But why does his black now do less damage...? In a world filled with higher and higher health pools, Demiurge wants to do everything to slow down games it seems.

BUT - it would be REALLY nice to have a list of other characters on the docket for updates, even if we don't see the actual updates for a little bit.
    • Phaserhawk
      Options
      He still seems pretty meh to me - locked TU's are surprisingly hard/random to keep on the board. And while a bit random, the crit tile his current green creates could be fairly powerful at times. I suppose increasing damage on green makes up for lack of crit tile. But why does his black now do less damage...? In a world filled with higher and higher health pools, Demiurge wants to do everything to slow down games it seems.

BUT - it would be REALLY nice to have a list of other characters on the docket for updates, even if we don't see the actual updates for a little bit.

In terms of dmg per AP it's still about the same 236 before, 226 per ap now
    • Cylaali
      Cylaali Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
      Options
      So he goes from "being used only when required" to.... "being used only when required".

Of all the characters to rework, Quicksilver was the one that was deemed most necessary?
    • notamutant
      notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
      Options
      Overall it is an okay buff, but not enough to really change his usage. I do like the much cheaper cost abilities though.
    • CrookedKnight
      CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      I mean, Quicksilver is one of the bottom-of-the-barrel 3* characters. He did need a buff. But I'm not sure cutting Idle Hands' cost and damage by a bit and completely destroying Fists O' Fury is what I'd call a buff.
    • CaptainFreaky
      CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
      Options
      Phaserhawk wrote:

...which is still less. Less overall and less per AP.
      I grant it's not a big decrease and the boost to the green damage means that 3/5/5 is the likely optimal build. But still, I don't think his black needed any reduction, it just needed to be faster.

The best part of black was the tile swap but every iota of damage is still welcome, especially if the goal was for QS to see more real usage. If they had allowed black at 5 covers to swap ANY type of tile (so as to eliminate specials), then it would be a noticeable change. But, of course they didn't do that.

I think this is a very conservative change - which would be fine if MPQ was the kind of game that got lots of small, frequent balance passes. But if Demiurge only changes ability stats once in a blue moon, it's an extremely slight change that I don't think will materially impact his play time.
    • Linkster79
      Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Due to Quicksilver being rather bottom tier I never rostered him, couldn't afford to but these changes have piqued my interest. Less powerful overall but able to fire of abilities quicker. On paper I like the sound of it. The only thing that has irked me is I have just gone through a streak of pulling and selling 6 or 7 covers. Oh well cest la vie.

Plenty of notice on changes, a proposed higher sell back price for those unhappy, the only critique I would give on this announcement is the lack of direct comparison of old to new stats in the OP. Very well done Mr Moore icon_e_smile.gif

Without wanting you to risk giving away too much information is the rebalancing of lower tier characters something that is/will be a thing we can expect regulary? I know you won't want to get our hopes up but please get my hopes up.
    • Azoic
      Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
      Options
      Yah, I feel like it is a nerf. Lower an already horrible black skill. Take away the crit on green? So like before, 5 blue is the only good move so at least you can do some dmg to enemy team during the one event you'll use him
    • Phaserhawk
      Options
      Phaserhawk wrote:

...which is still less. Less overall and less per AP.
      I grant it's not a big decrease and the boost to the green damage means that 3/5/5 is the likely optimal build. But still, I don't think his black needed any reduction, it just needed to be faster.

The best part of black was the tile swap but every iota of damage is still welcome, especially if the goal was for QS to see more real usage. If they had allowed black at 5 covers to swap ANY type of tile (so as to eliminate specials), then it would be a noticeable change. But, of course they didn't do that.

I think this is a very conservative change - which would be fine if MPQ was the kind of game that got lots of small, frequent balance passes. But if Demiurge only changes ability stats once in a blue moon, it's an extremely slight change that I don't think will materially impact his play time.

If you notice Blue essentially absorbs what black lost what I see is a much easier time to have blue go off hence the black damage Nerf. I'll gladly take the green boost over the crit tile which sometimes hurt instead of help, like creating an unwanted blue match or the A like creating an unwanted blue match or the AI nailing you
    • Der_Lex
      Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      But think of how amazing the new QS will be if you pair him up with Star-Lord.
    • mpqr7
      mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Looks fun. I'll try it in pve sometime. Well, he'll be featured in pvp soon, so I'll try it then as well. I'll have him champ'ed by then!