Sandbox Node (Or Something with a Better Name)

Options
GrumpySmurf1002
GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
As an answer to "my kids play my account in prologue," "I use prologue to experiment," and assorted other "don't lock my nodes reasons", I offer this:

Give us one node. I guess in the prologue tab but doesn't really matter where. The node doesn't access your roster. It accesses a generic roster, with all Characters unlocked & maxed, w/ respec open. You pick your 3 and the opponents 3. NO REWARDS.

People can futz around in the game all they want, which allegedly is all they're asking. New characters can be tested immediately to see if they're worth the money (I think this was popular when it was a season node, dunno why it went away).

Prologue heal and prologue farming (the common sense reasons to lock the nodes) still goes the way of the dodo (or the true heal).

Everyone wins.

Comments

• Killinstinct
    Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    Yeah this is nice, so I can also try out 4* so I can make a better decision in which character I will pump my iso in
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I love it. It allows players to see how the characters would play in different configurations, with different teammates, and really encourages them to build and level their own versions of those characters/teams. If you can't heal your characters and earn any prizes, you're just doing it to check things out. It could even have randomized enemy teams (like the DDQ will be moving to soon). You could think of it as an in-game commercial for all available characters.
  • Wooodd
    Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This would be cool.

Perhaps 5 Nodes which the same properties but set to: Easy; Trivial; Normal; Hard; Deadly.

That way you can face different levels of opponents too (you know, for the kiddies).
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Yeah I would enjoy a training node as well.
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I could see the node fitting rather nicely into the Deadpool's Daily part. A little side node. It's open 24/7 aside from like 10 minutes too.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    I think this is a GREAT idea! I could see it sitting on the DPDQ page, have some witty dialogue with opening it for fun/explanation and make it award 20 ISO just for old times sake.
  • slowej25
    Options
    This would be an excellent addition to the game
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I love this idea but my family is firmly against it. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Obvious name for something like this would seem to be the danger room. icon_e_smile.gif

There could easily be more to it than just a single node, you could have the following:

A pvp-style node where you could set the levels of all your opponents,
    A regular 3v3 pve node where you just chose the scaling,
    A survival pve node where you set the scaling,
    A flexible XvX node so you could setup 1v1, 3v1 etc fights.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As an answer to "my kids play my account in prologue," "I use prologue to experiment," and assorted other "don't lock my nodes reasons", I offer this:

Give us one node. I guess in the prologue tab but doesn't really matter where. The node doesn't access your roster. It accesses a generic roster, with all Characters unlocked & maxed, w/ respec open. You pick your 3 and the opponents 3. NO REWARDS.

People can futz around in the game all they want, which allegedly is all they're asking. New characters can be tested immediately to see if they're worth the money (I think this was popular when it was a season node, dunno why it went away).

Prologue heal and prologue farming (the common sense reasons to lock the nodes) still goes the way of the dodo (or the true heal).

Everyone wins.

OverClocked came up with this same idea over a year ago. It was also to test different builds. There may have been more to it, but it was so long ago, I'm surprised I remember it at all.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    They won't do this, As awesome an idea as it it.

The reason is money. They don't want people to be able to play with the characters. They want people to pay to play with the characters.

Why do you need rewards if you already have the ability to play all of the characters?

It's way more likely that this would happen if you used your actual roster - just lock out healing and rewards. But then they might as well just unlock Prolog since it's almost the same thing.
  • I do wonder what happened to the "New 4* Play Node" that was in the Season node in PVP.

Lets you play around with one of the new 4*s in a random loaner match.

It was pretty cool, lets you try them out without like, trying them out in an actual reasonable setting and junk. A good teaser, like the Loaner node in the PVEs and stuff.

I wish it'd come back.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. Maybe create a topic in the suggestions forum too?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Natsufan01 wrote:
    I think this is a great idea. Maybe create a topic in the suggestions forum too?

There are 9 or 10(or more) of these in suggestions, going back over a year.. for a play area, conscious decision made to leave this one in general, feel free to link your suggestions from the suggestion forum in this thread, 2 front assault.
  • Nate7671
    Options
    I love this idea - even in a pretend mode would be nice to play different combos. For example it will be years before I can play Hulkbuster/Jean combo with my current roster.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Natsufan01 wrote:
    I've added a link to this thread in the Suggestions Index of Hot Topics (stickied at the top of the Suggestions and Feedback subforum). Similar suggestions have continually popped up for something like this in the past so it makes sense to have it as a hot topic.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Always thought there should be 2 different shield simulator. the 1st with no health pack usage and ability to try new combos out with every character available in the prologue page so we can play even off season. and 2nd in pvp like usual.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it would be great to have like 3 nodes, of different difficulty for each node (easy, medium, hard), with random teams, that we can play whenever we want to try new teams and combinations. We don't need rewards (even though if it was 50-70-100 iso, it would be even better, grinders need grinding), just a place where we can try different things.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Natsufan01 wrote:

There are 9 or 10(or more) of these in suggestions, going back over a year.. for a play area, conscious decision made to leave this one in general, feel free to link your suggestions from the suggestion forum in this thread, 2 front assault.

Yep. I know I've been in a few of those. Might have even made one.

Oh, for better name, Danger Room is the common choice.
  • ruyen
    ruyen Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    I've been wanting this for a while, essentially a permanent BoP mode, where you test characters and lineups in a controlled environment, with no rewards.

Ideally we could get some options, like:
    1. Pick 3 (like OP suggested)
    2. Enemies from a chosen allegiance (Dark Avengers)
    3. Option to choose Goons

Also
    AI difficulty/level options, or a Champed ranks option. So you can test 450 5*s vs 270 4*s. I want to see how the 1% lives.