Why are event tokens so terrible

Options
jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Let's just say that i feel lucky to get a 3 star cover from these things. vault or not, my pulls are terrible 2* unneeded trash.

c'mon d3, pull your socks up and stop being so stingy with the percentages.

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tokens below LT level have always been **** (except anniversary 1 tokens. They were awesome).

It's demi's design philosphy. They clearly want to keep token odds as low as possible without provoking an all out rebellion from players.

And even LTs become pretty meh once you get a decent ways into 4* land. Too many useless pulls (or worse: chos).
  • Razer51
    Razer51 Posts: 4
    Options
    THIS
    jredd wrote:

c'mon d3, pull your socks up and stop being so stingy with the percentages.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    lol, like it's only event tokens.
  • Escape2victory
    Options
    I'd take 1 or 2 CP (or even 1000 ISO) over the miserable odds of a pve token. In the early days they were a source of excitement and anticipation. Now just frustration.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Champ the 2*s all the way, sell them, and rebuild them. Then the new ones aren't trash.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    All token pulls are trash as far as I'm concerned.

I'll keep saying it knowing it'll never happen, but pulls should be based off your roster. Makes no sense to me that PvE scaling and PvP's MMR are based on your roster, but the node rewards and token percentage are all the same for all. It's being stingy with imaginary currency.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    gravel wrote:
    Champ the 2*s all the way, sell them, and rebuild them. Then the new ones aren't trash.

This. Obviously as any game, the odds of a bad to meh pull are higher than the odds of a good pull. But the championing system has at least given value to the large number of bad pulls, where other games don't really address this at all. Its not great, but it could be worse
  • mpqq
    mpqq Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Incentive for players to keep playing and/or spending money to prolong the lifespan of the game and to maintain an appropriate developer effort to profit ratio.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    All token pulls are trash as far as I'm concerned.

I'll keep saying it knowing it'll never happen, but pulls should be based off your roster. Makes no sense to me that PvE scaling and PvP's MMR are based on your roster, but the node rewards and token percentage are all the same for all. It's being stingy with imaginary currency.

This has to be the best idea I've heard in a while. As said above, if EVERYTHING in the game depends on your roster level (and recent placement in events), why do rewards stay stagnant? This is obviously an argument that has been made over and over again, that a crit boost or a standard token is a reward on day 900 or something like that. How is this still a thing?

I, myself, am in the slow transition between 3 and 4* land, but I agree so much that someone in between 4 and 5* should not be getting so many 2* or 70 ISO rewards. Same goes for standard tokens. It doesn't take long before they become pointless. If there is difficulty scaling, why isn't there reward scaling?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't understand. Are you expecting tokens to be some kind of a reward? With value?

That's what Crit Boosts are there for.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm good with 2*s since setting up Champion farms.

Everything else though? It's a joke for me now as a 3* scrub. I doubt getting around to the 4* transition will make this any better icon_neutral.gif
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2016
    Options
    gravel wrote:

The end result is slightly Iso-negative, though. Rebuilding that champ costs you more than you get, unless it's one of those that give specific 3* covers you're looking for. Someone in the 2* turnover thread said it's basically like a bank loan. If you intend to rebuild and champ again, you're going to return the entire value with interest. It's really useful for when you need an immediate Iso infusion, but cycling isn't a good long-term investment vs just selling the covers.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Calnexin wrote:
    gravel wrote:

The end result is slightly Iso-negative, though. Rebuilding that champ costs you more than you get, unless it's one of those that give specific 3* covers you're looking for. Someone in the 2* turnover thread said it's basically like a bank loan. If you intend to rebuild and champ again, you're going to return the entire value with interest.

That view is entirely contingent on placing no value upon tokens, fixed 3* covers, CP, Hero Points...
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The Herald wrote:
    Calnexin wrote:
    gravel wrote:

The end result is slightly Iso-negative, though. Rebuilding that champ costs you more than you get, unless it's one of those that give specific 3* covers you're looking for. Someone in the 2* turnover thread said it's basically like a bank loan. If you intend to rebuild and champ again, you're going to return the entire value with interest.

That view is entirely contingent on placing no value upon tokens, fixed 3* covers, CP, Hero Points...

Not to mention being able to get 4* covers from the fourteen 3*s that get fed by the 2*s. If you are farming them and have all the requisite 3*s champed it is definitely not ISO negative.

Having said that it does take a lot of ISO invested to get to that point. I am about 3 weeks away from having a fully functional farm ready (just need to champ Rags, 3Spidey, Hawkeye and Ares) and it took about two months to get there. I've been hoarding pretty much every non-event token during this time so that I can flip the champs all at once after I have them all done.
  • Calnexin
    Options
    The Herald wrote:

Here's the analysis https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45247.
    Zikato wrote:
    Total: -7.779 iso8.png

Non-ISO rewards
    375 spideycoin.png = 125 spideycoin.png from selling, 250 spideycoin.png from champion rewards
    5x heroic tokens (can equal 1.250 iso8.png if sold)
    3x hero specific 3* (can equal 1.500 iso8.png if sold)
    5 commandpoints.png

There was some back-and-forth in the thread, but it didn't differ much. Assuming you don't get a 3-4* out of the heroics and sell them all you're looking at 5k Iso for 375 HP + 5 CP.

Whether it's worth it depends on where you're at in the game. I'm thinking about rebuilding 2-3 of my 2* max-champs for the immediate boost, but I don't just get them back to that state automatically with covers. If I want to recycle I'm going to have to pay more Iso than I received from the sale to bring them back, and that can take awhile.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Calnexin wrote:
    The Herald wrote:

Here's the analysis https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45247.
    Zikato wrote:
    Total: -7.779 iso8.png

Non-ISO rewards
    375 spideycoin.png = 125 spideycoin.png from selling, 250 spideycoin.png from champion rewards
    5x heroic tokens (can equal 1.250 iso8.png if sold)
    3x hero specific 3* (can equal 1.500 iso8.png if sold)
    5 commandpoints.png

There was some back-and-forth in the thread, but it didn't differ much. Assuming you don't get a 3-4* out of the heroics and sell them all you're looking at 5k Iso for 375 HP + 5 CP.

Whether it's worth it depends on where you're at in the game. I'm thinking about rebuilding 2-3 of my 2* max-champs for the immediate boost, but I don't just get them back to that state automatically with covers. If I want to recycle I'm going to have to pay more Iso than I received from the sale to bring them back, and that can take awhile.

IIRC, that -7779 ISO is actually compared to just selling the 63 covers you need straight out. If we're just talking cost to champ+cost to max vs. rewards plus cost of selling a fully maxed champ, you actually make about 7000 ISO (67000 + 7500 cost vs. 66000 + 15000 reward).
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    They are trash. Most of the time I don't even bother to look at what I get I just tap the screen assuming it's a 2* and only a couple times have I been wrong. There is no reason these tokens should give 2* as plenty are gained from standard, PvP wins and PvE/PvP progression/placement. 3* aren't exactly hard to get either but that SHOULD BE the bare minimum qualification for calling something "heroic".

There is a ton of absurdity in this game. I figure it is because of d3. Japanese companies (and Japanese culture in general) is full of absurdity (from an American perspective) and what seems perfectly logical to them is baffling to us and what we are used to.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They are trash. Most of the time I don't even bother to look at what I get I just tap the screen assuming it's a 2* and only a couple times have I been wrong. There is no reason these tokens should give 2* as plenty are gained from standard, PvP wins and PvE/PvP progression/placement. 3* aren't exactly hard to get either but that SHOULD BE the bare minimum qualification for calling something "heroic".

Except that most 2 star players, especially early on, aren't going to be getting many PvP wins, so their primary source of 2 star covers is going to be heroic level tokens (heroics, event, and taco, which they can only earn one of a day) and the occasional PvE placement. It's kind of obvious that the game is designed to have the one and two star transitions go fast in order to get you hooked, and the 3 and 4 star transition to go much slower (seemingly mostly as a remnant of the fact that the 3 star transition started out as the final one).
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    While I agree, and for the most part am in the same boat in that 99% of covers received in an event are junk, RNGesus smiled upon me the other day. Got two Hulk tokens, one for individual placement and one for alliance placement in the sub. Got the LT and Hulkbuster covers from those two. icon_razz.gif
  • Calnexin
    Options

IIRC, that -7779 ISO is actually compared to just selling the 63 covers you need straight out. If we're just talking cost to champ+cost to max vs. rewards plus cost of selling a fully maxed champ, you actually make about 7000 ISO (67000 + 7500 cost vs. 66000 + 15000 reward).

I'm sure I'll go back and look at the thread, maybe work the math myself, but I think the original assessment of -Iso is correct. Just based on selling and assuming average luck, you don't make Iso on the deal. BUT, the tradeoff w/ cover advancement is potentially worthwhile.

I took the plunge last night - sold two maxchamps and used the Iso to champ two languising fully-covered 2*s. I wound up ~ iso8.png 15k in the hole after those transactions. That's not bad - it's one day of DDQ for a single character, and I'd already reaped the other rewards. I maintain it's Iso-negative, but overall could be game-positive. It really does depend on where you're at in the game and whether you have the resources to support that cycling effort.