Invisible Woman (Classic) Character Update

Options
LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone -

With the upcoming Time Gem Season, we will be updating the powers to Invisible Woman (Classic). Invisible Woman was one of our earliest and weakest 4-Stars and we took another shot at updating her to make her more competitive.

Here's a breakdown of her new powers!

Invisible Woman (Classic) Update

Grant Invisibility - 7 AP
Creates an Invisibility tile that prevents Invisible Woman from being targeted by match damage and powers.
-Upgrades include creating Protect tiles and granting teammates invisibility for 2 turns.

Force Bubbles - 8 AP
Locks random enemy Strike, Protect and Attack tiles and creates Blue Strike tiles.
-Upgrades include locking more tiles, locking Countdown tiles, and creating more Blue Strike tiles.

Force Field Crush - 10 AP
Create random Force Bubbles and deal damage if there are less than 4 Force Bubbles on the board. Otherwise, converts tiles in Force Bubbles to basic tiles, removes the Force Bubbles and deals damage for each tile removed.
-Upgrades include creating additional Force Bubbles and dealing more damage.

Comments

• hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    First thing I notice is that this breaks her compatibility with Quicksilver (no way to lock team up tiles). Second thing is that if the opponent doesn't create special tiles, then what does blue do?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am skeptical at first glance. Blue has lost most of its board control. I hope that the strike tiles are strong enough to give her some real teeth.

Yellow could be a real pain to deal face, but there are more ways to deal with invis tiles now too, and defense is never stronger than offense.

Green is nicer at 10 ap, and neutralizing the locked tiles after detonation is a nice upgrade, but it still needs 4 locked tiles on the board, so it will remain a slow nuke.

Glad to see you try to improve her, and curious to see the new abilities in full, but i dont know that i am excited.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I am skeptical at first glance. Blue has lost most of its board control. I hope that the strike tiles are strong enough to give her some real teeth.

Yellow could be a real pain to deal face, but there are more ways to deal with invis tiles now too, and defense is never stronger than offense.

Green is nicer at 10 ap, but it still needs 4 locked tiles on the board, so it will remain a slow nuke.

Glad to see you try to improve her, and curious to see the new abilities in full, but i dont know that i am excited.

It looks like she'd work well against special tiles. 3 blue matches to neutralize them, 4 green to remove them with nuke, and the ability to go invisible to allow you to get the AP before the special tiles kill you.
  • mooken
    mooken Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Options
    Invisible Woman in her current form is a good utility character, that just needed her green cost reduced by a few AP. Her blue was extremely useful for bubbling Ultron bombs, and for causing damage + board control + shuffle with her green.

Hopefully it's not just a side-grade -- the Starlord buff sounded mediocre at first, but ended up beastly. I'm hoping the green damage and blue strikes are plenty strong. The synergy with QS is gone though -- QS+IW+SL creating four locks for 5AP was so much fun.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LakeStone wrote:
    Hi Everyone -

With the upcoming Time Gem Season, we will be updating the powers to Invisible Woman (Classic). Invisible Woman was one of our earliest and weakest 4-Stars and we took another shot at updating her to make her more competitive.

Here's a breakdown of her new powers!

Invisible Woman (Classic) Update

Grant Invisibility - 7 AP
    Creates an Invisibility tile that prevents Invisible Woman from being targeted by match damage and powers.
    -Upgrades include creating Protect tiles and granting teammates invisibility for 2 turns.

This intrigues. The old power hid the "weakest" member of the team. My read on this is that as she gains covers here, she protects team members additional to herself?
    Force Bubbles - 8 AP
    Locks random enemy Strike, Protect and Attack tiles and creates Blue Strike tiles.
    -Upgrades include locking more tiles, locking Countdown tiles, and creating more Blue Strike tiles.

Little disappointed that this power is both more expensive than it was previously, and is no longer chosen tiles, but random. One or the other would have been fine, I think, but both makes it more expensive and sacrifices board control. This is feeling like a 5/3/5 build to me, so far.
    Force Field Crush - 10 AP
    Create random Force Bubbles and deal damage if there are less than 4 Force Bubbles on the board. Otherwise, converts tiles in Force Bubbles to basic tiles, removes the Force Bubbles and deals damage for each tile removed.
    -Upgrades include creating additional Force Bubbles and dealing more damage.

OTOH, I think I like the changes to greenflag.png if it's being conveyed properly. Sounds like she creates Force Bubbles no matter what with FFC, now, and converts all Force Bubbles on the board instead of merely 3 at random. And if she's creating more of them at higher levels, this could end up being a mega nuke, at a reduced cost.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We knew it was coming, but is it enough? Interested to find out!
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And with her DDQ Crash right after the change too!

EDIT: Which come to think of it, will possibly be a harder fight against Quicksilver. Trading the ability to remove his locked tiles via Force Field Crush with possibly more damage via Strike tiles or revised FFC.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Based on what I'm reading, she can give the whole team invisibility? That's pretty nuts.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The blue is now only situationally useful and unless not directly tied to locking special tiles offers no way to make your own strikes

Blue with tiles to lock = locks random tiles then creates strikes
    or
    blue with no tiles to lock = creates strikes
    or
    blue with no tiles to lock = no valid tiles, no strikes created
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    The blue is now only situationally useful and unless not directly tied to locking special tiles offers no way to make your own strikes

Blue with tiles to lock = locks random tiles then creates strikes
    or
    blue with no tiles to lock = creates strikes
    or
    blue with no tiles to lock = no valid tiles, no strikes created

I'd guess that at rank 4 or 5, it'll lock any type of tile, including basic. And that's where the strikes will come from.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Looking forward to playing the update! Thematically, I like the ideas here.

I've always thought that she should automatically target countdown tiles and crush them! But turning the whole team invis sounds really new and interesting. I hope she makes enough special tiles to have good synergy with Mr F.
  • spghttihead
    spghttihead Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    Update her creepy character picture for a complete upgrade!
    So far, their rebalances recently have been good so I'm optimistic.
  • Suddenreal
    Suddenreal Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    For PVP she'll remain low tier, I believe, but for PVE I think she'll rank a lot higher than she does now (especially against anything that throws out tiles like there's no tomorrow).
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Even though Invisible Woman needs a buff, Mr. Fantastic is clearly the worst 4 Star character. He should have been in line head of her.
    Hopefully he's next on the list.
    Even Spider-Gwen even should have gotten a buff ahead of Invisible Woman. Her Yellow is the worst power in the entire game not owned by Bag-Man.
    The current and soon-to-be old Invisible Woman had uses in PVE when she was buffed. We'll see how this one goes...
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Will this be changed before her clash?
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sounds like she will be fun with Starlord.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Looks promising. Definitely qoing to use her more than before after buff.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was expecting Reed to go first. IW is certainly one of the worst 4s, but at least she had some uses and some unique abilities. For me, both Reed and Wasp are now by far the worst 4s, with serious need for a buff.

Talking about IW, I guess without seeing the actual numbers is hard to be exited for now. Let's wait an see, Starlord and Chulk are quite decent now, so let's hope she ends up being much stronger.
  • Rumakashi
    Rumakashi Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I loved the synergy with QS. Since it's my higher 4*, i hope the lost of the synergy will be really worth it.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bummed about the loss of board control.