A plea on behalf of Spider-Man

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Fantastic Four #1 may have been the 'first' Marvel comic which started the modern age, but we all know who the face of Marvel Comics is. When I was a tiny little kid I would run around our yard in a ski mask and one of those gag canisters that shot confetti taped to my forearm. You see, my neighborhood was inhabited by villainous criminals like Doctor Octopus, Kraven the Hunter, and the Green Goblin. They needed to be put down, by me... the amazing Spider-Man.

Or so my imagination went. Three decades later, that 5 year-old still exists inside me. Spider-Man is my favorite superhero, hands down, no contest. He's the best. And I'm not talking about Miles Morales or Venom or some guy who lives in 2099. I'm talking about Peter Parker. The guy who was unlucky with girls, money, and popularity. The guy who married the girl next door.

Now, it seems, he is unlucky in MPQ as well. Let's take a look, shall we?

1* Spider-Man: I like him. I also have never used him. By the time he came around, I was in the 3* tier.
2* Spider-Man: A complete joke who is such an embarrassment that even the developers won't dirty token pools with him.
3* Spider-Man: Competitively unusable following one of the toughest-to-swallow nerfs I have ever seen in this game.*
4* Spider-Man: He's not Spider-Man. I've got nothing against him, but he's some other guy.
5* Spider-Man: Largely unattainable due to scarcity. I want him, but even large sums of money won't help me attain him.

(* A nerf that caused me to quit for 2 years)

This situation is unacceptable. If anyone who has any say in the development of this game is reading this, how is this possible? Do you read these forums? Do you hear the pleas from your players crying out for a playable version of their favorite superhero? We're not talking about Wolverine, Captain America, or Iron Man. We're talking about the character who made Marvel Comics. His masked face is synonymous with the company logo! Spider-Man to Marvel is like what Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman combined is to DC. He is the MAN.

Please. Let us play with our favorite hero. Give us a usable 3* or 4* Peter Parker.
This is not a tip or suggestion. This is a begging plea from your entire playerbase.

Comments

• Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    July 7th, 2017
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At least give us a 4 star ultimate Peter Parker spiderman if they're not going to respect the 3 star.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I fully support everything you said. Spidey pretty much is my favorite superhero as well, and it's sad there's no decent usable version of him.
    Dormammu wrote:
    3* Spider-Man: Competitively unusable following one of the toughest-to-swallow nerfs I have ever seen in this game.

Say what? I've only been playing since earlier this year (think I'm around Day 190 or so), and I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone mention this. I know X-Force Wolverine pretty famously got hit with the nerf hammer pretty hard, but can't remember hearing that 3* Spidey did.

What did he look like pre-nerf?
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When homecoming comes out. Btw why are you not in my alliance
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Options
    In this case, the developers knew exactly what they were doing because Spider Nerd sucks.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DarthDeVo wrote:
    I fully support everything you said. Spidey pretty much is my favorite superhero as well, and it's sad there's no decent usable version of him.
    Dormammu wrote:
    3* Spider-Man: Competitively unusable following one of the toughest-to-swallow nerfs I have ever seen in this game.

Say what? I've only been playing since earlier this year (think I'm around Day 190 or so), and I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone mention this. I know X-Force Wolverine pretty famously got hit with the nerf hammer pretty hard, but can't remember hearing that 3* Spidey did.

What did he look like pre-nerf?

He was the OML of his day. It was hard to find a 3* team that didn't use him. Blue stun was cheap (2AP) and could stun up to 5 turns depending on the number of web tiles on the board. Yellow heal was great and made health packs obsolete (the days before 'true healing'). It's been so long I forget what his purple did. Admittedly he was over-powered, but he was... amazing.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It does beg the question, with a Spiderman in every tier, although no parker in the 4* tier, what are they going to come up with in July when the movie is released.

First 6* character confirmed with lazy 4* released simultaneously!
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    July 7th, 2017

That's probably the sad truth, but there's no reason to wait that long to fix his 3* version. Release a new 4* Parker around that time. Fix the current 3* now.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Options
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    July 7th, 2017

That's probably the sad truth, but there's no reason to wait that long to fix his 3* version. Release a new 4* Parker around that time. Fix the current 3* now.
    What's even more saddening that I know none of the villains from that movie will be added even though I'd rather get them.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Secret Wars Symbiote Spidey is coming once the 6* tier is established. I bet some variant from the Renew Your Vows spidey family is incoming to the 4* tier too. MJ spiderman or Annie.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    vinsensual wrote:
    Secret Wars Symbiote Spidey is coming once the 6* tier is established. I bet some variant from the Renew Your Vows spidey family is incoming to the 4* tier too. MJ spiderman or Annie.

Poor Mayday Parker. She will never get the love she deserves.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For those of you asking what Spidey was like in all his old, pre-nerf glory, here you go:

Web Bandages - Yellow 13 AP
    Spider-Man makes make-shift slings of webbing for his friends. Removes all Web tiles, and all allies heal 118 health for every Web tile removed (minimum 118, maximum 1892).
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
    Max Level: Heals 741HP per web tile (up to 11864HP)

All Tied Up - Blue 6 AP
    Spider-Man wraps up the target in webbing, adding a new Yellow Web tile to the board and then stunning the enemy for 1 turn for each Web tile on the board (to a maximum of 5 turns).
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.

Spider-Sense - Purple Passive
    (PASSIVE) Spider-Man's senses tingle and he moves to protect his team. If there aren't any friendly Purple Protect tiles, he creates one when his team matches Purple tiles. New Protect tile Strength is based on the number of Web tiles in play.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Creates up to 2 Purple Protect tiles.
    Level 3: Increases base Protect Strength by 25%
    Level 4: Creates up to 3 Purple Protect tiles.
    Level 5: Increases base Protect Strength by 25%
    Max Level 141 5/5: 20/54/115/210 Protect tiles depending on Web tiles on board.

So with a 5/5/3 build he could true heal the whole team for 9 yellow (and it was a big enough heal to take a team from almost dead back to full), and a pretty consistent 5-turn stun for 2 AP, after you had used it a few times (and you would use it a lot, because it was busted beyond belief).

When they nerfed him, they did it by not doing much more than just raising the cost of his powers (and breaking true healing), but since his entire kit was based around the ability to spam the board with web tiles, and tripling the cost of his web tile generating ability made that impractical, he rapidly went from awesome to unplayable.

They could probably bring him back to relevance just by making him make 3 web tiles every time he used his blue. All of his abilities would get a major buff just from that one change. He still wouldn't have any offensive ability but at least his blue would be one of the better stuns in the tier at that cost, and he'd be legitimately tough to fight through if you're targeting one of his teammates.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    How about you rename the thread "A Plea on Behalf of Peter Parker".

Miles is Spider-Man, no matter how much you don't want him to be.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Too soon, man.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Options

Just like how Jane Foster is Thor, Amadeus Cho is Hulk, Sam Wilson is Captain America, Sam Alexander is Nova, Laura Kinney is Wolverine? K.
    Hey you are right I don't want any of those! But miles also needs a boost...
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options

Just like how Jane Foster is Thor, Amadeus Cho is Hulk, Sam Wilson is Captain America, Sam Alexander is Nova, Laura Kinney is Wolverine? K.

Yes. All those characters have taken up those mantles, so they are all those respective characters. I never said Miles is the only Spider-Man, or the most popular one, just that he is Spider-Man just like Peter Parker is Spider-Man.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I use Petey each time he's boosted in PVE. He's that good in preserving health packs. Admittedly, he is not in my PVP playlist, I prefer color generators in PVP. But still, Petey is awesome when he can be used at all.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options

Miles AND Peter are actually Spider-Men.

As of Marvel Now! 2.0 (Avengers #1) Peter Parker is back as SpiderMan with the Avengers while Miles is the SpiderMan within Champions.
  • CPD01
    CPD01 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Amen to the opening post. Criminally neglected. And Miles Morales will never be Spider-Man.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    Admittedly he was over-powered, but he was... amazing.

So wait, he was The Amazing Spider-Man? Sorry can't have that, too close to the actual comics.