Reality Gem Season Update (12/12/16)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
For the upcoming Versus Season (Reality Gem Season) we will be updating two powers of Miles Morales (Spider-Man). As new characters have been released, some character power sets introduced new ways to make Miles function even better than he currently does. The changes are listed below:

Power and Responsibility: This power currently doesn't differentiate between one Web tile or many Web tiles in a single match. The power has been updated to grant Mile's team AP for each Web tile matched. This doesn't count Web tiles destroyed by matching four or more tiles at once.

Hide and Seek / Surprise!: Currently, Mile's dual power switches every time the power is activated. This means that it is possible to activate Surprise! when Miles is visible. We have updated the power so it will remain Surprise! as long as the Invisibility tile created by the power is still on the board. Once the invisibility tile is removed, the power will revert back to Hide and Seek. We have updated the base damage as well as the bonus damage per Web tile of the Surprise! power.

Miles Morales (Spider-Man) - Lv 270 (Max Level)
NewMilesPurple270.png
====================================================
Miles Morales (Spider-Man) - Lv 366 (Max Level with Weekly Powered-Up Boost)
NewMilesPurple366.png

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Not the Spiderman I was hoping would get a rework. In fact I figured Mr. Fantastic would be reworked way before Miles. Disappointing icon_e_sad.gif
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yellow change is nice, very helpful. The purple change makes sense, although it was funny to think of Miles standing there out in the open and then yelling "Surprise!".
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd like to say thank you to brigby for showing the 270 and 366 versions of the powers, as opposed to the 5 cover level 70 version. Could we get a full list of his updated powers side by side with his old ones for comparison though?

Also, can you communicate to whoever does the interviews about new characters for Marvel Insider that the level 270 versions are the previews we really care about?

And finally, are we down to one character rebalance per season now?
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It's a very solid damage buff compared to his previous numbers. If you save up 14 AP and there aren't any other Web tiles around:

Old: 5104 + (543 x 5) = 7819 or 558.50 per AP

New: 6946 + (902 x 5) = 11456 or 818.29 per AP

That's quite a jump. For comparison's sake Peggy Red @ 270 has a value of 750.11 per AP, so this is a pretty solid ratio even before you combine it with his ability to pump out more tiles with his yellow. He's still not top tier IMO but this does push him further up on my champ queue.

(Edited because I forgot the AP reduction to Surprise)
  • thanos8587
    Options
    you can do more than one at a time you know?????

seriously one per season and it'll be the next decade before you fix characters that are suffering now let alone the countless that havent been released yet. and there are still 3 star characters in the game as well in case youd forgotten.

nice changes so far, credit where credit is due, but it cant hurt to pick up the pace.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Good changes. He should be scarier now.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    thanos8587 wrote:

seriously one per season and it'll be the next decade before you fix characters that are suffering now let alone the countless that havent been released yet. and there are still 3 star characters in the game as well in case youd forgotten.

nice changes so far, credit where credit is due, but it cant hurt to pick up the pace.

I'd actually prefer to keep it to one per season or at max two per season. Every character has interactions with other characters that can be unbalancing, doing too many at once not only takes away time from really thinking out the changes but also introduces the possibility of creating an unforeseen and potentially game changing unbalance that will then in turn just have to be rolled back.

Also a little bit of hyperbole in that post even if they just do one per season they would still be doing 12-14 per year (we had at least two short seasons this year). Even if they keep the pace of releases the same the buffs are meant to bring the weakest characters more towards the center of the power curve. That works out to 25% of the current 4* roster.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    thanos8587 wrote:

I've said this before: every season they keep the nerf bat in the closet, I'm counting my blessings. Any character buffs are pure gravy to me.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pleased by the Hide and Seek change, for sure.

That said, this seems like more of a tweak than a rebalance.
  • Koffitok
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    Pleased by the Hide and Seek change, for sure.

That said, this seems like more of a tweak than a rebalance.
    The change to power/responsibility looks like a tweak (it now works like medusa's yellow and is a pure buff), but the fact that hide/seek only works when the tile is out so they increased the damage is pretty much the definition of "rebalance".
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I knew there was a reason I champed him over Ghost Rider =)

Can we get some kind of button for characters whose moves changes depending on circumstances? Currently Miles has his purple explaining how he goes invisible and that the move will change to Surprise! but we have absolutely no way of knowing how much damage Surpeise! will actually do when we get it unless we play a match with him.

Having a button to toggle movesets would be really helpful. This goes for OML, Vision, X-23, Nova...and there are probably more I'm forgetting.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was really hoping to see a champion reward restructuring for the few 3* still giving the same character. Not really going to hurt me softcapping Rags, Colossus, and Psylocke for another season though.

I really like these changes to Miles. If nothing else at least his Clash will be easier for those with a low leveled/undercovered Miles thanks to the changes to Hide and Seek. Especially welcome seeing how Starlord is a bit more of a threat now.
  • Mitchjewitz
    Mitchjewitz Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    The change to purple Miles makes logical sense and yellow is much welcomed but needs even more. Gaining just one ap per web tile isn't good enough for a four star. First off web tiles are only available from 5 characters in the game (and 2 of them are 1*s). 3* Mystique can steal one ap from every enemy match. So yellow Miles is already sub par to a 3*. Finally with the introduction to Medusa: Her (passive yellow) can gain 3 random ap (of blue, purple, green) from enemy special tiles getting matched. Enemy special tiles are much more common than web tiles.

So please with these changes to Miles, look at yellow again and in addition to the already planned change, make his ap gain more than just 1 per web tile.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Can we get some kind of button for characters whose moves changes depending on circumstances? Currently Miles has his purple explaining how he goes invisible and that the move will change to Surprise! but we have absolutely no way of knowing how much damage Surpeise! will actually do when we get it unless we play a match with him.

Having a button to toggle movesets would be really helpful. This goes for OML, Vision, X-23, Nova...and there are probably more I'm forgetting.

I've always wondered why Iceman is basically the only one who gives this detail. While we're at it, add details for people like Moon Knight, it doesn't say how strong his attack/strike tiles are. 2* Bullseye and 3* Spidey also are quite mysterious.
  • Koffitok
    Options
    The change to purple Miles makes logical sense and yellow is much welcomed but needs even more. Gaining just one ap per web tile isn't good enough for a four star. First off web tiles are only available from 5 characters in the game (and 2 of them are 1*s). 3* Mystique can steal one ap from every enemy match. So yellow Miles is already sub par to a 3*. Finally with the introduction to Medusa: Her (passive yellow) can gain 3 random ap (of blue, purple, green) from enemy special tiles getting matched. Enemy special tiles are much more common than web tiles.

So please with these changes to Miles, look at yellow again and in addition to the already planned change, make his ap gain more than just 1 per web tile.
    Miles' yellow would make 3 purple, 3 red, and 3 blue with a match3 of web tiles, which is the same # of AP as Medusa but less random. Plus, Miles poops out web tiles where Medusa depends on what enemies you're facing
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    What on earth?????

Miles BEFORE Reed? Or Gwendolyn? Or others?

• hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:
    What on earth?????

Miles BEFORE Reed? Or Gwendolyn? Or others?

All Gwen really needs is for her healing to heal everyone on the team, and probably to boost said healing a decent amount.
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options

If you weren't aware, you can go to the screen for the particular power, click one cover lower, and it'll show the preview for the next level - secondary power included.

Not the most straightforward way, but hey.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With his purple power now being nerfed I am thinking about making him 3,5,5 instead of 4,4,5. To keep the invisibility tile out long enough to collect an extra 8 AP is still tough. Having the 2nd 8 AP always be surprise was a nice effect. He will still work well his yellow is a nice buff, but his purple feels like a nerf.

I do question which character makes him function better? Is it Medusa's passive making miles and medusa AP machines when a web tile is matched?
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    With his purple power now being nerfed I am thinking about making him 3,5,5 instead of 4,4,5. To keep the invisibility tile out long enough to collect an extra 8 AP is still tough. Having the 2nd 8 AP always be surprise was a nice effect. He will still work well his yellow is a nice buff, but his purple feels like a nerf.

I do question which character makes him function better? Is it Medusa's passive making miles and medusa AP machines when a web tile is matched?
    I think the opposite on the first part because I liked him being invisible. Not being able to go invisible without activating surprise sometimes really sucked. That being said it still does more damage now. Also I don't understand what you mean about medusa as she doesn't react to web tiles.