5*'s killing my experience

Options
We_are_Venom
We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
5* characters are making the game near unplayable by raising my nodess 100+ level above my only usable 3*. Versus Magneto and Hood last event, they were level 325 when my highest overall character was 285! This event they started at 275 and randomly increased to 300. The final node in sub 2, venom with symbiotes, started at 285. My only champed 3* is 167! My highest boosted is 200! It feels more like work than fun when the scaling is so far out of my range.

Comments

• wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Options
    Options:

1. Sell your 5*
    2. Spend gobs of money
    3. Quite PvE and do PvP only

Its the way the game is setup now. The devs are aware of the issue, but they've backed themselves into the corner a bit. Its very difficult to scale appropriately.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    4. Wait a few weeks until they roll out the new PVE system
  • technoid
    technoid Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    the new PVE system is confirmed?
  • BlackSheep101
    Options
    They've been putting an awful lot of time into testing it...
  • Mercalla
    Mercalla Posts: 94
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I haven't seen anything specific to this opponent level scaling issue with low cover 5*'s in the PvE change notes. Link? Last post I see is from January?

Edited:

Ok, found the post I think most people are referring to when so many of us bring up this issue on opponent scaling.

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=41413&p=497411&hilit=scaling+opponent#p497411

Specifically to our problem, they did this change in EoTS event last March:
    o Mission difficulty
    - We have changed the way the game determines which level enemies you should go against to be more accurate. Instead of basing difficulty solely on heroes’ levels, it takes your heroes’ power levels into account as well.

However, this was only a change to that event and they reverted back to the original calculation of straight top 3 level average afterwards.
    The event after Enemy of the State will return to the original difficulty system.

They did state that they were going to look at the analysis and get back to us, and I believe that is what we're all waiting for. Did they drop this line of adjustments? If it's still being reviewed/analyzed/considerred, when can us newer players expect some relief in this really frustrating difficulty bubble we're stuck in?
    We will be looking at how people did and listen to what everyone is saying about it. Once we are comfortable with our findings, we will touch base with everyone again and let everyone know how it went and what we are planning on doing in the future.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mercalla wrote:
    I haven't seen anything specific to this opponent level scaling issue with low cover 5*'s in the PvE change notes. Link? Last post I see is from January?

Edited:

Ok, found the post I think most people are referring to when so many of us bring up this issue on opponent scaling.

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=41413&p=497411&hilit=scaling+opponent#p497411

Specifically to our problem, they did this change in EoTS event last March:
    o Mission difficulty
    - We have changed the way the game determines which level enemies you should go against to be more accurate. Instead of basing difficulty solely on heroes’ levels, it takes your heroes’ power levels into account as well.

However, this was only a change to that event and they reverted back to the original calculation of straight top 3 level average afterwards.
    The event after Enemy of the State will return to the original difficulty system.

They did state that they were going to look at the analysis and get back to us, and I believe that is what we're all waiting for. Did they drop this line of adjustments? If it's still being reviewed/analyzed/considerred, when can us newer players expect some relief in this really frustrating difficulty bubble we're stuck in?
    We will be looking at how people did and listen to what everyone is saying about it. Once we are comfortable with our findings, we will touch base with everyone again and let everyone know how it went and what we are planning on doing in the future.

Good info, thank you. The lack of updates on this issue is frustrating. I want to hold out hoping they adjust, but i just don't know if it's worth the aggravation I'm experiencing currently.
  • BlackSheep101
    Options
    The scaling change is part and parcel of the new PVE tests they've been running recently. I think there have been 3 tests so far-- the last being Prodigal Sun back in April. Hopefully they pick it back up this month now that Civil War is out of the way.
  • endangrd895
    Options
    Totally agree.

Many of us have a couple of 5*s, one level 190 4* , spotty coverage on several other 4* and a solid 3* lineup.

The average of this top 3 is 233.

Actual ability is 3* level, supplemented with that one viable 4* (190 +166+166/3=174).

Consistently playing 59 levels beyond your ability is not fun.

Please change.
    Thanks. icon_e_smile.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Totally agree.

Many of us have a couple of 5*s, one level 190 4* , spotty coverage on several other 4* and a solid 3* lineup.

The average of this top 3 is 233.

Actual ability is 3* level, supplemented with that one viable 4* (190 +166+166/3=174).

Consistently playing 59 levels beyond your ability is not fun.

Please change.
    Thanks. icon_e_smile.gif
    if you're roster is solid 3* (15 champs+), you're leaving off boosting. at least one boosted character, probably 2 in the ability level. so that becomes at least 240+190+166, and sometimes 240+240+190, which turns out to be 199 or 223. I agree that playing significantly beyond your roster ability is not fun. D3 doesn't seem to get that.
  • Mercalla
    Options
    So the notes posted yesterday regarding the PvE changes ("improvements" lol) didn't have anything regarding this 5* scaling issue. It has been left off of their patches and notes since March.
  • Zathael
    Zathael Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have gotten 2 5*'s so far and the scaling has made the game almost unplayable for me. My current roster is only 2* with only two characters above 100. How am I supposed to do PvE event where they are level 205 on the 2nd from last node?! "Sell the 5*" should not be the answer. This is seriously a huge damper on my willingness to even log in. When I first started I was having a blast. Now I can't even complete the 2nd from last node in an event without getting lucky crits. The last node? Don't even think about it. Carnage two shots everyone...
  • BlackSheep101
    Options
    Mercalla wrote:
    So the notes posted yesterday regarding the PvE changes ("improvements" lol) didn't have anything regarding this 5* scaling issue. It has been left off of their patches and notes since March.
    As I said, scaling changes are integral to the tests. See how your scaling is in EotS.
  • Mercalla
    Options
    Mercalla wrote:
    As I said, scaling changes are integral to the tests. See how your scaling is in EotS.

I don't think they are, or they would call it out specifically like they did in the "stuff we're working on post" back in March which I linked above. There are multiple types of scaling, and I do see that they're working on a lot of that, just not this specific frustration for rosters with a 5* and then some characters barely over 100, like mine, and Zath's above, and many many others. Maybe scaling isn't the right word. It's the opponent level calculation that is driving all of our problems.
  • BlackSheep101
    Options
    Scaling = enemy level calculation

They went into great detail in the early tests about how they would take into account the number of covers on a character in addition to its level. Things improved for low level rosters, but got difficult for high level rosters. Then they moved on to tweaking scaling for high end rosters. Now they're working on the scoring structure.

Check the enemy difficulty on EotS and see if it's different from the last few events.
  • endangrd895
    Options
    I'm loving the system for Enemy of the State. Let's hope they keep it.
  • Mercalla
    Options
    Definitely better for those with a single cover 5* and then early 3* roster. I went from ranking around 200 to currently at #48. Now, if they'd just do something about those minions feeding points to opponent abilities. The fights/nodes against wolverine where he has 2 red point feeders are not possible for me to complete.