Diversity in PvP

Options
SeveredSynapse
SeveredSynapse Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
There are numerous gripes about the current state of PvP.
Among them, the effects that 5* randomness has had on the game.

Our PvE events have "Locked" characters... exploring the depths of combinations of rostered characters we might not often use.
Now, the "Featured" character in some of the PvP events is a start... but what if we had multiple PvP events running simultaneously, each with different characters unlocked.

Potentially tier-locked events as well... 1* & 2* /// 3* & 4* /// Open (1* through 5*).

Stratification within brackets would be helpful as well... there is a massive difference between a 13-cover character and a 2-cover.
This is heavily highlighted within the 5* tier.

Current frustrations / limitations in PvP gameplay are among those who are transitioning their 5* roster... and haven't had the lucky-lottery wins to pull enough
OML-yellow / Phoenix-Purple in order to remain competitive with those already in the lion's den. It seems the transitioners are thrown into bracket tiers with other players who have roughly the same level (+ or - 30 to 90 levels) without regard to covers or abilities.
5* characters demonstrate more than ever that not all covers are equal... and this is evidenced by having nearly every single opponent with the same recycled trio of Required+OML+Phoenix.

Maybe we can change it up a bit for those stuck in transition hell

Very Respectfully,
SeveredSynapse

Comments

• gouhadouken16pr
    Options
    When the game started it got stuck on hero's with true healing. Every game have spiderman or bw2. The heal was good but the you always fight the same characters. Then when the fake heal started game changed to all wolverines patches and dakens, when he got nerfed (6 daggers can be unnecessary too much and everybody got a hp boost but this 2 dint) the game was transitioning to 4*.

There are some key champs like Luke Cage and you would see him on every game at that time. Now that the transition go to the 5* you see less diversity on what players have because of iso. People cant rise every champ as they hardly did with the 3* but with 4* it would be impossible, that's why you see hulk buster's and Jeangrey's everywhere and by default x-force and fury because they are millenary old.

People focus too much on reliable champs that forgot there others but also game iso greediness don't allow ppl to get different champs. Take an eternity to rise a 4* so that's why you see same and same. BUT SADLY game staff watered down the 3*. This again affecting the diversity of the game, now if isn't buffed you cant use it because whales or the same 4 or 5 usual same 4* will squish you.

When the time pass and game complete the transition to 5* you will be only see a diversity of Logan's and Phoenix's. when you look it at this you may think that diversity is on extinction on this game. People usually may have almost all the 3* but cant use em, 6-7 4* and one or 2 incomplete 5* which is the only way to kill one... Logan's Logan's and nothing more than Logan's. Why bother on trowing 4* champ like crazy when people will use the same champs because the diversity is almost dead on this game.

Oh wait, new champs feed fat wallets whales ego or hackers but funny enough they have all the champs and still use the same 6-7 4* that everybody use. Champs are fun, lack o diversity no.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45391

I tracked OML sightings for the first few events of the season, and I'm doing it again this last event.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46423

I'm going to have to steal Dauthi's comment that this is MPQ: OML. The "diversity" is ridiculous right now.

Isn't helped by reports of cheaters getting covers early...but no reports of roster roll-backs. Also lots of (paying?) people complaining about draw rates early on, told to pick a cover....I never heard ONE report of that free cover being anything other than an OML cover.
  • SeveredSynapse
    SeveredSynapse Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45391

I tracked OML sightings for the first few events of the season, and I'm doing it again this last event.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46423

I'm going to have to steal Dauthi's comment that this is MPQ: OML. The "diversity" is ridiculous right now.

Isn't helped by reports of cheaters getting covers early...but no reports of roster roll-backs. Also lots of (paying?) people complaining about draw rates early on, told to pick a cover....I never heard ONE report of that free cover being anything other than an OML cover.

SnowcaTT ... I followed your thread since you first posted... and many times it highlighted my frustrations with the game and direction it has been going...

I've been trying to think of work-arounds... but none seem adequate.

I echo your findings & frustrations completely.
  • SnowcaTT
    Options

SnowcaTT ... I followed your thread since you first posted... and many times it highlighted my frustrations with the game and direction it has been going...

I've been trying to think of work-arounds... but none seem adequate.

I echo your findings & frustrations completely.

I put in suggestions a long, long time ago a different way to do MMR: something like not being able to see 2*'s unless they break beyond 300 points, 3*'s unless they break beyond 650 points, and now maybe 4* (only) rosters unless they break beyond 1000 points.

This would let the lower tier rosters hit the "appropriate" (?) rewards before getting run over by the bigger rosters, and still hit the higher rewards by correctly shielding.

I also put in suggestions a long, long time ago a way to change how points are kept: make points you are worth to others who find you drop over time based on when you played. So if someone runs up to 800 in the first day they'll only be worth 1 to folks who decide to start in the last 8 hours - all that work won't seem pointless, there will be more reason to run the whole event (doesn't change MMR issue though).

I started suggesting a year ago (and have seen it suggested by tons of people since) the "real" solution - split PVP's. Let people join both: one that is like the current one for rewards but BANS 5*'s (OML problem solved) and doesn't buff 4*'s (more diversity/usability in 3*'s solved as well!). Also could almost completely remove MMR bucket. Don't want to see 5*? Play here! Next PVP could be exactly current PVP for characters (no need to boost 5*'s!), except 4* could be essential - and rewards could be 4*'s everywhere the 3*'s are now.
  • SnowcaTT
    Options
    Another option is to simply remove the "True Heal" aspect of OML. They removed True Heal in most places in the game for a reason - it was very broken.

I see 350 6/7 cover OML's run instead of 10/11 cover 5*'s on the same roster, and over 350 champed 4*'s. That's for a reason - folks run him over and over and over because they rarely to never need health packs.

Which brings us to ANOTHER option - just remove health packs from the game; all characters always max health at the beginning of every match. Still won't see diversity, but solves one of the main reasons you are seeing OML over and over, folks wouldn't be choosing their 345 OML over their 405 SS if the True Heal didn't matter.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Another option is to simply remove the "True Heal" aspect of OML. They removed True Heal in most places in the game for a reason - it was very broken.
    Less even remove True Heal...just remove passive unconditional every round true heal. X-23, XFDP, Mr. F, XF all have true heal in 4* land but none of them ever really took off as must have every match characters (OK way back in the day XF did) since they all have conditions (sometimes fairly difficult to achieve conditions attached to their healing). But I guess the designers failed to learn their lesson from the days of Patch/Daken everywhere.