Iron Man Hulkbuster's 4* nodeHow did you do?

Options

Comments

• morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A few quick comments for people attempting to beat this node with an underlevelled, undercovered IMHB.

Yes, the basic theory is that you deny green and red, and Hulk can't get his abilities off. However, the thing is that match damage from a level 270 Hulk will kill your underlevelled, undercovered IMHB most of the time, since he starts off with way more health than you, and does a lot more match damage than you. Your IMHB needs to be levelled enough to have sufficient health to make it through most of the match firstly (so you're probably looking around level 160 or so, at a guess, although I think some people have scraped by with less). Secondly, it helps to have a few blue covers, so you can mitigate that match damage (although you need to be careful when you use Hulk Proof, since you can accidentally feed Hulk red, if you're not careful). Boost your match damage, Hulk's boosted enough that he won't notice the additional damage in terms of Anger. If you don't have at least 2 red covers, you're unlikely to win either, since even a weak Repulsor Punch is enough to even out the health differential between you and Hulk at the end.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just to point out, the lack of sensible spacing in the (new) thread title is nothing to do with me.

80% of correspondents correctly guessed Hulk, but we also had 4 write-in votes for Iceman.

And I did rubbish, thank you for asking. 1/2/2 just won't cut it. I don't think it could beat Bruce Banner.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    and if you only have a couple of covers in hb black, you can cast it early in the match to get strikes out and in the 150-160 level range with 2 black covers, one casting will not trigger anger on a match-3. not sure about a match-4. avoid making criticals if at all possible.
  • Not even going to attempt... My Hulkbuster is 0-1-4 icon_neutral.gif
  • IFORANI
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    A few quick comments for people attempting to beat this node with an underlevelled, undercovered IMHB.

Yes, the basic theory is that you deny green and red, and Hulk can't get his abilities off. However, the thing is that match damage from a level 270 Hulk will kill your underlevelled, undercovered IMHB most of the time, since he starts off with way more health than you, and does a lot more match damage than you. Your IMHB needs to be levelled enough to have sufficient health to make it through most of the match firstly (so you're probably looking around level 160 or so, at a guess, although I think some people have scraped by with less). Secondly, it helps to have a few blue covers, so you can mitigate that match damage (although you need to be careful when you use Hulk Proof, since you can accidentally feed Hulk red, if you're not careful). Boost your match damage, Hulk's boosted enough that he won't notice the additional damage in terms of Anger. If you don't have at least 2 red covers, you're unlikely to win either, since even a weak Repulsor Punch is enough to even out the health differential between you and Hulk at the end.

So Basically wait till your 4star is level 160 to beat a match that gives out a token with a 95% chance of a 4 star cover?
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    My 1/1/2 HB made him laugh when I hit him for all I've got with 30 red AP and it scratched him for 2900 health.

I managed to save up enough blue to get hulkbuster deployed but as others have said his match damage is more than 2 x 22 health shields can withstand (why are his shields so pitiful?)

Is it worth putting 3/4 covers worth of HP into him to get him up to 3/2/2 - 3/3/2 - 4/2/2?
  • morph3us
    Options
    IFORANI wrote:
    So Basically wait till your 4star is level 160 to beat a match that gives out a token with a 95% chance of a 4 star cover?

A level 160 4* is probably at the same power level as a level 90-100 3*. Level 160 isn't that high a level for a 4*. A level 220 4* is about the same as a level 166 3*. The levels aren't directly comparable, so the bar isn't as high as you might think.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    azmadu wrote:
    My 1/1/2 HB made him laugh when I hit him for all I've got with 30 red AP and it scratched him for 2900 health.

I managed to save up enough blue to get hulkbuster deployed but as others have said his match damage is more than 2 x 22 health shields can withstand (why are his shields so pitiful?)

Is it worth putting 3/4 covers worth of HP into him to get him up to 3/2/2 - 3/3/2 - 4/2/2?

IMHB's protect tiles really are kind of pitiful until 5 covers.

In general I would say no, it's not worth spending 10k HP on a character just to win one legendary token. BUT, IMHB is a top tier 4*, especially if you also have a maxed/covered iron fist. So it may be worthwhile for this specific character because he is so good. Sadly, I don't think that even 4/4/2 will really be great. You can get by with a 5/3/X or 5/4/X IMHB in PVP. But you really do need that 5th red cover to make the red damage significant.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    and if you only have a couple of covers in hb black, you can cast it early in the match to get strikes out and in the 150-160 level range with 2 black covers, one casting will not trigger anger on a match-3. not sure about a match-4. avoid making criticals if at all possible.
    I thought about it, but I didn't think those weak strikes were worth dumping several hundred health.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    IFORANI wrote:
    morph3us wrote:

I think morph3us is right on some things, but have some disagreements.

I don't think that a 160 4* is necessary to win these 4* ddq nodes. I beat the IW node with my 2/3/4 IW @145.

I do think that there is a baseline level that is necessary to play in these nodes because a reasonable number of hitpoints are a necessity, especially if you don't have enough offensive punch to down the opponent with powers. But after reaching that baseline level of health (perhaps level 130 or 140, basically enough to survive 20+ rounds of match damage and maybe one or two weaker ai abilities), covers are much more important than levels.

And with all undercovered/underleveled 4*s, it's really important to have good board luck. There are usually only one or two ways to win if you have a crippled 4* (usually deny colors X and Y, hope to collect color Z, etc), so playing a bad board is pointless. early retreat is probably a better option in many circumstances.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    I thought about it, but I didn't think those weak strikes were worth dumping several hundred health.

Think again. those strike tiles are really important to even the match-damage disparity. more than worth a few hundred health if there are nice safe yellow tiles on the board. And remember that at 270, hulk can take almost 1k damage per match before triggering anger, so even 300 or 400 points of strike tiles won't get you in much trouble (unless you get a cascade critical.
  • Turbosmooth
    Options
    Couldn't pass with 3/1/1 Lv131. Had to pony up to 4/2/1 Lv152 to make it work.
    I had alliance members that passed with ~2/3/2 Lv137. I would think it would be very tough with less than 3 red covers, but people have done it.
    When I won the match, I sort of wish I did 3/3/1 just so I would need to get 2/2/2 drops instead of 1/3/2.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Couldn't pass with 3/1/1 Lv131. Had to pony up to 4/2/1 Lv152 to make it work.
    I had alliance members that passed with ~2/3/2 Lv137. I would think it would be very tough with less than 3 red covers, but people have done it.
    When I won the match, I sort of wish I did 3/3/1 just so I would need to get 2/2/2 drops instead of 1/3/2.
    from what I hear, red is key, 5/3+/x becomes usable. I added one red to bring mine to 3/2/3, but not sure I needed it with the match I won.
  • Couldn't pass with 3/1/1 Lv131. Had to pony up to 4/2/1 Lv152 to make it work.

I was 3/1/1 and upped to 4 red as well. I think 2 black isn't worth it, all it does is increase the strike tile damage which isn't going to be the difference. 5 Red would have been better. I imagine a bunch of blue would have been awesome too, since it wrecks the green matches.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Options
    Have 2 black covers
    still I tried it for fun's sake
    A short game indeed
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nope, tried again, icon_hulk.png manage to match 5 EVERY turn even though I carefully match away greentile.png but the board just drops him a match 5.
  • morph3us
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I don't think that a 160 4* is necessary to win these 4* ddq nodes. I beat the IW node with my 2/3/4 IW @145.

I do think that there is a baseline level that is necessary to play in these nodes because a reasonable number of hitpoints are a necessity, especially if you don't have enough offensive punch to down the opponent with powers. But after reaching that baseline level of health (perhaps level 130 or 140, basically enough to survive 20+ rounds of match damage and maybe one or two weaker ai abilities), covers are much more important than levels.

Level 160 is probably overkill for most of these 4* DDQ nodes, but I do think it depends on the opponent. Hulk's a tougher opponent for underlevelled 4*s, because his health is so high, when boosted, compared to Mags, QS, and Cyclops, so you're going to take more match damage, as the match is going to take longer anyway. IW was a bit of a special case, since as soon as you got that Invisibility tile out, it completely mitigated any match damage as long as you could protect it, so her level threshold for winning was even lower. It's probably going to be the same for Prof X - a low level PX with a purple cover will probably be able to beat the 4* DDQ node given enough time too.

I think we're essentially agreeing, though, Vhailorx. I think 130-140 is probably fine for most of these matches, and absolutely, covers are more important than levels. I do think Hulk's high health shifts the baseline level up to an extent though. Against Hulk, level 130-140 is very dependent on a favourable board.
  • metabelian
    Options
    morph3us wrote:

It's probably going to be the same for Prof X - a low level PX with a purple cover will probably be able to beat the 4* DDQ node given enough time too.

Yup, gonna be funny to see how many level 70 one cover prof-x get wins.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Got it on my 3rd attempt with my 1/5/3 lvl 172 IMHB. Boosted r/y + b/g 50% and critical 100%. Got very lucky though, was down to 2,000 health and Hulk had 11,000 so I went all in and fired off Overdrive (leaving me around 800 health) then smacked him with RP (30 AP). Then the lucky cascades made those boosts invaluable as critical after critical knocked Hulk out.

Karma got me though and wouldn't let me be lucky twice in a row, I received a Yellow Thoress from my token (my 7th yellow), not sure of the exact odds but it's 1 of the 3 covers I can't use from Legendary Tokens.
  • Lboogie
    Options
    Needless to say my 5/5/3 230 HB turned him to a green stain on the ground first try. Collected ap for all three powers, and after one thunder clap fired blue then black then red. The punch did 10k plus lol. I knew it wouldnt be hard...refreshing after 20 attempts on mags with my undercovered/leveled fury. Sorry if i come off braggish but this will be my last easy victory no doubt . I shall enjoy. Good luck to all