Crash of the Titans Cycle 3: Star-Lord

Options
2»

Comments

• adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's possible with a lower SL. Did it first try with a 111 1/3/5. +2 r/y, r/y damage boost, p/b damage boost. Need a decent board though
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    adamdivine wrote:
    It's possible with a lower SL. Did it first try with a 111 1/3/5. +2 r/y, r/y damage boost, p/b damage boost. Need a decent board though

But is it really feasible with an even weaker Star-Lord? My 1/2/2 at level 111 is struggling, both my red and purple only do about 1k damage. What are the odds I fire 10+ powers before she fires two?
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Took my 3/1/5 Star-Lord 12 tries at L133.

As others have said, with so many colors in play, the strategy is (a) deny (b) collect (c) hope. As is usually the case for me with level 133 characters, this fight came down to: keep trying over and over until I get lucky.

Most of my losses I got completely smoked. Most of my fresh boards had too much red, black and green to deny. The most frustrating loss was when I had a red CD one turn away from winning, when Gamora fired off a black that hit me for 2200 and killed me.

You know what's hilarious? Last week, against Jean, when I didn't want match-5s, I stumbled into match-5s in every one of my first seven attempts. I couldn't escape them. Meanwhile, I think I had a grand total of two match-5s in my 12 attempts today.

Anyway, in the fight I finally won (using +2 R/Y AP, +2 all AP), I got her down to 227 health, she stumbled into a cascade that I thought for sure would kill me, but left me with 16 health. I was able to down her with a single yellow match.

My reward was nice: yellowflag.pngtoken_legendary.pngicon_captainamerica.png (now 1/2/0)

My record for cycle 3: 8-1, including the last 8 in a row.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Two tries at level 130 with no boosts resulted in getting smoked each time. If any of her powers went off, it was essentially game over.

Third try, I boosted him to 140, used R/Y AP boosts, all AP boosts, and all match damage boosts.

She got off a red, which hurt, but I was able to collect enough red and purple AP to hit her with a few power uses, and the +2 AP cost to her powers from one of my power uses kept me alive long enough for her to die.

yellowflag.png IM46 was the reward. Worth it.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I leveled up Star-Lord just for this fight. 4/3/5 level 191. I did it in 2 tries with boosts. Finally.

Pulled a Drax icon_e_sad.gif
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    6 tries
    lvl 138 2/1/5
    +2 r/y, crit, +2 all color

Finally got a decent board and 2 red cd tiles got me the win.

icon_greengoblin.pngpurpleflag.png worth icon_e_smile.gif
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Black Duke wrote:
    My Star-Lord is 5/3/4 (level 130). I hope that this fight will be easier to manage than the last one against JG.
    It wasn`t. At least I needed 20 attempts, several boosts and lots of luck to beat Gamora.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hated this one so much! I was determined to stop relying on boosts since I've got all of them at 170. I've done fine until this one. Once Bad Rep kicks in, you're toast. Which ended up being pretty much guaranteed with given how slow Star-Lord is. Twice I got her under 500, and then she got the strikes out. One of those two times, I had a Red CD on the board with 1 turn left. Then she did a Skull Cracker/Bad Rep combo, and then that was it. Finally got it after using up 11 health packs. I think it was mostly because I ended up chasing purple over red though. I got a yellow XFW, so that was another champ level there.

Seriously, this matchup is bad. There's only 1 color overlap, and if you want to attempt to negate the effect of her black, you're gathering yellow for a weak support skill. Pointless! Ah well, at least it's over now.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beat this on my first attempt with my 5/3/5 153 Starlord (+2 all, +2 red/yellow, +50% red/yellow damage). The board must’ve been friendly, because I don’t think I was doing a great job denying Gamora’s colors – she got off one red in the beginning and one black at the end – but a purple and a red of mine both resolved to take out big chunks of her health. She had one turn after her Bad Rep went off, which took over 2K health out of me, so I had to think hard about my last move (not enough AP to fire anything) to make it count.

Got a blue Jean (hehe get it?).
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Options
    yeah having 5 of red or 5 of purple really helps. Unfortunately I had low levels of the two colors (3 red and 1 purple) that count and had max of the one color that was useless in this fight. Anyway took me like over 30 tries. I dropped so much iso on boosts and his levels that I just couldn't accept defeat. Ended up using the purple countdowns to deny his black matches while I matched more purple.

I used critical damage boosts, r/y damage boost, and purple damage boosts. Whenever I saw a potential match 5 purple. I used the purple countdown to match it which did a bit more than the damage from the countdown tile when it reaches zero. It was instant and I got an extra turn out of it.
  • KROPPE
    KROPPE Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Since the end goal was a token, my strategy was to invest the ISO into a level ~120 3* that I could champion rather than level up Starlord to 152.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I now have a 5/5/3 L135 Shart-lord. What level do I need to bring him up to in order to have a realistic chance in this fight? Never had enough covers for him to justify bringing him up before now but Gamora usually stomps me so bad that I'm not sure I'll have a chance without dropping significant ISO into him which I don't really want to do.

Lesson from this exercise in futility was that if you aren't running a Shart Lord with 5 in red you will have a bad time in his ddq. YOu probably want at least 4 in yellow to make red more spammable. That leaves 4/4/5 or 3/5/5 as viable builds. I would go 4/4/5 to squeeze more damage from purple.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like running my SL at 5/4/4. at level 145 it did take me 2 tries.