after 1081 days

Options
JohnLegend
JohnLegend Posts: 28
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
That might be it for me. Actually I'll wait until my 25cp comes in a few days. If I get lucky enough to randomly pull that elusive OML yellow I might stay a bit longer but it'll definitely be begrudgingly.

Things are a lot different and more busy for me now compared to 3 years ago. I just don't have the time to play hardcore like I used to. My family is getting older and more active, work is busy as hell.

The problem is I feel like I'm being penalized for it (to an extent). I simply can't play for progression rewards anymore. Not enough time, too much competition and well how could I not mention scaling. So these days I play within my comfort level and for a while it was ok, but no longer.

The breaking point has been the Dr Strange event. I opened over 30 gold tokens for this event and got no 3 stars or better. None, zilch, natta, not a **** thing. I can only hypothesize that the devs don't want people like me to play cause I sure as hell feel like I'm being pushed away from the game.

After 3 years it has to be pretty obvious I'm willing to put up with just about anything the devs do, good or bad. I've been through it all. But if I'm going to be penalized with drop rates bordering on an estimated 1 in 40 or potentially worse how the hell will I even be able to slowly progress.

I'm not asking for the devs to fix this. I understand RNG and don't like it and it will never be changed. At least not in short order anyways.

Too bad, for 3 years this has been a fun game to play hardcore or relaxed and I'll miss my great alliance mates. Many of them have been in my alliance since the first day I created it.

I know many wont care to read this or for my opinion, c'est la vie, what can I do. I just wanted to come here and express myself regardless.

Cheers all

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well... always sad to see a veteran pondering leaving the game.

I had that as well and what saved me after 2 years of playing was changing my goals. I don't have usable 5* and I don't care for them. I have focused on championing all 3* and rostering all 2* to farm so no reward would go to waste. Now I am working my way in the 4* land but I don't pull much from Legendary so I keep the flow of 4* covers under control. I don't care for PvP placement or rewards (go for 900 if I need, rarely for more, one shield to protect the score saves me lots of HP). In PvE i play events when I want mainly to get max progression (regardless of placement). The Sl8 gives lots of extra iso compared to other levels. And the everstressfull new releases - i play or I don't. One cover will not change my life so if I can get it I will, if not - eventually I will icon_e_wink.gif This change of pace is what keeps me going in the game.
  • Mercalla
    Options
    I agree with the token drop from Stange event seeming off. I opened up at least 20 tokens and received 2 three star covers, rest were two stars. Figured I was just really unlucky, but seeing somebody else report the same things makes me wonder. Anyone else get a tinykitty drop rate?
  • JohnLegend
    Options
    I wasn't the only one in my alliance that went 0-30 or worse unfortunately.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My drop rate seemed same as any other token pool. I ended up with some 3s, some 2s, and 1 4 (chulk). You just may be unlucky
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    Well... always sad to see a veteran pondering leaving the game.

I had that as well and what saved me after 2 years of playing was changing my goals. I don't have usable 5* and I don't care for them. I have focused on championing all 3* and rostering all 2* to farm so no reward would go to waste. Now I am working my way in the 4* land but I don't pull much from Legendary so I keep the flow of 4* covers under control. I don't care for PvP placement or rewards (go for 900 if I need, rarely for more, one shield to protect the score saves me lots of HP). In PvE i play events when I want mainly to get max progression (regardless of placement). The Sl8 gives lots of extra iso compared to other levels. And the everstressfull new releases - i play or I don't. One cover will not change my life so if I can get it I will, if not - eventually I will icon_e_wink.gif This change of pace is what keeps me going in the game.

Agreed. I retired back in February and came back when SHIELD Rank was implemented. Although I missed a good 7-months of Rewards, Iso, Covers, HP.. I got to spend time with my family for a bit instead of being stressed with this game. Since my return in August, it's much better, I feel it's easier to gain rewards and is less stressful. Maybe I just needed the break. As what Magic stated above I am doing the same approached. Since my return I focused on champing all my 2 and 3*'s, and I have been hording Heroics, LTs, and CP for when I have enough to finally break into 4* land. Not sure if you can use the same approach but the point is, take a break and come back when there a major change (e.g. colorless covers.. one day we hope) or just forget the game entirely but do not go on the forums! haha. The forums suckered me back in.

Regardless what you decide to do, whether you continue playing or not, just enjoy life icon_e_biggrin.gif

Take care,

Tom aka Punisher5784 manablack.png
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm sure you'll be better off quitting this game than staying with it. I like the progression I get in the game, even though it's slow, but I hate the time it requires in order to make that steady slow progress. Yesterday is a perfect example; it was a very busy day for me and I tried to squeeze in some game time here and there. It probably added up to 3 hrs, but that still wasn't enough to get all of my daily "tasks" done. That's ridiculous! DDQ = 30 min, PvP 45 min, PvE 120 min!

So, here's the problem: if I only play for an hour a day, then my progress would be so super slow that I would want to quit. But if I play for 3+ hrs a day, then I get burned out and want to quit as well. I'm a patient man, I can make plans and stick to them over time, so I can handle the slow progression, but the time commitment is what's killing my real life.

For reference, I'm in your same boat, I'm nearly finished with champing my 2*s and 3*s, so every cover gets me some kind of interesting reward, so I spend most of effort building up my 4*s, which has steady daily progress. I have 5*s, but only a couple covers for each.
  • KROPPE
    KROPPE Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'll chime in with a high number of 2* pulls... the only 3* were 2 Spiderman, and a She-hulk.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's probably just bad luck. I got one 4 star.png and five 3 star.png, one of which was the new Strange, from my event tokens.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ouch, 30 pulls and nothing over 3*. What did you do to offend the RNG gods? I'm not sure how many I pulled, but I pulled a Gwenpool and 2 other random 3*.

This is the problem when too much is based on RNG. I wish they converted all tokens to vaults, even LTs.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    this is what pushed me out for more than a year and why I probably won't play much longer. while the progressive rewards have been superbly fixed in PvP and pve, the placement rewards remain horribly stale in both. they don't come close to reflecting a 4* meta, much less 5*. overall placement requires too much time, for something so antiquated.

also, the game design has a huge flaw. how long is a player supposed to play to have a hope of getting 13 covers of each character? 3* would probably take a year, 4* exponentially longer, and i won't talk about 5* or how the number of characters in the game grows as inevitably as the sun rises.

the game rewards seem more set up to stunt the progression rate of top and longest tenured players than to help newer and more casual players make sufficient progress to feel like we have a hope of getting the characters we want to play in a timely fashion. for example, I like 5* iron man, but have 0 covers, and I know I have no hope of getting 13 covers in the next year, or even probably 2- 3 or longer. by the time I do get him, he'll be well obsolete. What is the point of a game designed that way?

edit - spelling
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Same here, 30 or so tokens, all 2 stars.
  • JohnLegend
    Options
    Just want to say to everyone that these have been a bunch of great replies and even though I feel like the game is pushing me away you guys are doing a great job of making my comments feel welcome here.

You're all a bunch of 5 stars icon_e_biggrin.gif

Cheers all!!
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Very interesting. As SCL 8, I generally get a few Elite tokens each day from PVE alliance sub rewards. And quite often at least one of those is a 3*. So I feel like my 3* game is doing pretty well... my lowest is 191, and my highest is 220 (not counting dr strange, of course).

But yeah, it's very hard to win new 5*s, especially the ones you actually need!
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Very interesting. As SCL 8, I generally get a few Elite tokens each day from PVE alliance sub rewards. And quite often at least one of those is a 3*. So I feel like my 3* game is doing pretty well... my lowest is 191, and my highest is 220 (not counting dr strange, of course).

But yeah, it's very hard to win new 5*s, especially the ones you actually need!

I heard you can email if you have bad 5* rng, but imo that should tell you there is something wrong with the rng system itself.

I rather receive less cp, maybe enough to pull legend every two weeks, but the pulls were only for 5*. as it is, the odds of getting a specific cover you want is less than 3% I think.

in other words, if the rng odds are set that you should pull one 5* every 2 weeks then get rid of that part of the random, decrease cp flow (or increase the cp cost of the token and keep flow the same) so that players can have access to the intended amount of 5*,4*, etc. covers on a scheduled basis. somewhat similar to buying a cover you already have, but half that cost (or lower) for a random 5* cover.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nope! The email doesn't work in most cases, unless maybe you're a whale or you bought Latest Legends tokens.

I won two OMLs in the wrong color (black and red), and CS said tough luck!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    RNG smiled upon me for this event.

while I didn't count, over half my pulls were 3 stars. Like this morning, 5 of my 7 pulls were 3 stars. Even pulled a yellow peggy at one point.

Was a welcomed change to normal 2 star show I usually get.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Man, that really sucks about the Strange Sights pulls; I was actually really happy with mine which is rare for me icon_razz.gif

Saved up 21, got 7 3*s and 1 4* (XFW yellow, a welcome sight after pulling green after green, with him already having 5 of them.)

RNGesus is a fickle Match 3 Saviour.