4* DDQ: Kingpin pokes Luke

Options
BlackBoltRocks
BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,163 Chairperson of the Boards
Alrighty. Kingpin vs Luke Cage up next

1st run: my 0/2/0 Kingpin decided he had better things to do, like go out shopping with Vanessa
2nd run: triumphed with 1/3/2 lv131 Kingpin
3rd run: my Kingpin is at 2/3/3 lv168, with a chance of pulling his yellow in the DDQ Vault. Looking forward to this

The best tip i can offer: do your best to stock up 30 Black and at least 20 Yellow AP (30 if your yellow is only at one cover). And then manipulate the board so Luke matches away his Unbreakable tile, then put down at least 5 countdown tiles and poke him 5 times in a row. Of course you don't have to do that, but it helps a lot

And of course use purple to deny him yellow

First run
Second run

Comments

• Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Do I have a realistic chance with my 1/4/1 Kingpin (level 135)?
  • Black Duke
    Options
    Black Duke wrote:
    Do I have a realistic chance with my 1/4/1 Kingpin (level 135)?
    Yup. Prioritise yellow -> purple -> black. Purple reduces his yellow while building up your own yellow. And the AI will use JJC once he has 6 black AP, so you rarely need to worry about being stunned. Just keep at it
    Thanks! I will try to heed your advice. icon_e_wink.gif
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My L141, 4/2/5 KP should have no trouble.

Here's my dilemma. My vault has a KP black, which would bring me up to 5/2/5, just one cover away from completion. By the end of this DDQ cycle, I'll have 302 taco tokens. Do I cash in now until I pull the KP black, or continue hoarding until something better comes along. I have 8 4* fully covered (5 champed (thor, Fury, XFW, FalCap, HB), 3 low level (Elektra, Ants, IW)). I'm nowhere near close to covering Iceman or Rulk, and my next closest to fully covering after KP is GR. Thoughts anyone?
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't think my 0/2/1 has much of a chance here.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    L141, 4/2/5 no trouble. Only used Critical boosts (because why not?), but never actually helped.

Deny / collect black, purple handles the yellow.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My 1/3/1, Lv 115 Kingpin is probably right on the precipice but is going to need a really lucky board to get it done.

Luke Cage has that annoying red that reduces the damage he takes, and my yellow and black end up only doing 600-1000 per use. Haven't seen many critical opportunities in two boards so far, and my health is on the low side; a single JJC takes me down about 25%, even if he never gets to use the stunner.

We'll see.
  • mjmora87
    mjmora87 Posts: 18
    Options
    Is it at all realistic to think I can win with 0/5/2? At the moment my Kingpin is level 140 and I can level him to 168 if it's possible to win.

My issue is, with my tries so far, even with boosts, I haven't gotten him down more than 33%. His shield keeps me from doing any damage with matches, even with boosts. Also, while he can't get his yellow off, it seems that just being able to use his black every 6 or 7 turns, due to how cheap it is, he can take me out fairly easy.
  • DFiPL
    Options
    Alrighty. Kingpin vs Luke Cage up next

1st run: my 0/2/0 Kingpin decided he had better things to do, like go out shopping with Vanessa
    2nd run: triumphed with 1/3/2 lv131 Kingpin
    3rd run: my Kingpin is at 2/3/3 lv168, with a chance of pulling his yellow in the DDQ Vault. Looking forward to this

The best tip i can offer: do your best to stock up 30 Black and at least 20 Yellow AP (30 if your yellow is only at one cover). And then manipulate the board so Luke matches away his Unbreakable tile, then put down at least 5 countdown tiles and poke him 5 times in a row. Of course you don't have to do that, but it helps a lot

Let me also add "swear a lot when the unbreakable tile gets put in the corner and when Cage has you down to 1800 health by the time you have the requisite black and yellow."

Wanna tell you what, this is a really "fun" fight to try to win when the only black on the board is that which cascades to Cage's benefit when he makes a match.
  • DFiPL
    Options
    mjmora87 wrote:
    Is it at all realistic to think I can win with 0/5/2? At the moment my Kingpin is level 140 and I can level him to 168 if it's possible to win.

My issue is, with my tries so far, even with boosts, I haven't gotten him down more than 33%. His shield keeps me from doing any damage with matches, even with boosts. Also, while he can't get his yellow off, it seems that just being able to use his black every 6 or 7 turns, due to how cheap it is, he can take me out fairly easy.

Yeah, that cheap black spam is what's killing me right now. He's gotta get two black matches to take me down 25% healthwise. I've managed to get him down about 50%, but only when there's enough black on the board for me to poke him.

And my boards so far, either there's no black unless he makes a cascade match (in which case he reaps it all), or there are 3+ black matches on the board, so even if I take one, he takes another, and that leaves him needing just one more match or the cascade to be able to jab me.

I'm gonna keep trying today, because I've been able to win fights before at Lv 115, but I feel like I probably need another cover in black before I'm going to be able to pull off a win without relying on outrageous luck.
  • Black Duke
    Options
    I had four attempts so far and get him down to 4000 hp (after I accumulated 30 blacktile.png and yellowtile.png) but at one cover the damage is - thanks to his protection tile - barely noticeable (around 1k). I will keep on trying!
  • Razamataz
    Razamataz Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    Beat him 3rd try with 160 2,4,2 had to use 2black 2 all ap and 100 all damage boost to finally do it he kept getting black cascades and got rewarded by a kick in the teeth from devs to get my 6th green chulk.

Thanks devs for your useless RNG chances of getting 1000 for battling so long against a hard enemy
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    KP lvl 172 4/5/4

Won on my first attempt. Saved up my black (24ap) and then laid down KP's yellowflag.png twice to get a ton of countdowns on the board. Then proceeded to poke Cage to submission.

Got my 6th yellowflag.pngicon_thing.png
    Won't get enough Iso before the card expires so 1000 iso8.png
  • CyberVenom2001
    CyberVenom2001 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lvl 192 1/3/5 Kingpin here. Thought I'd load it up with 100% damage, +2 to all AP, and +2 purple/blue for an easy win.

Got demolished twice pretty handily.

Said "screw it" and went in with no power ups. Stomped Luke easy and quickly.

To quote Weird Al, "Everything you know is wrong."
  • mjmora87
    Options
    Finally got it with my 0/5/2, level 168 on my 16th try! I had 1400 life left, so I was really only one jab away from dying.

If you're around the same situation as me, denying black needs to be first priority. It's so easy to die from him jabbing you a couple times. It's fairly easy to keep his yellow down if you have your purple up a bit.

For me, if I got hit by more than two jabs, it was game over. It was very frustrating and there were about four times I knew it was over by turn three or four just based on him getting cascades of easy blacks.

Got my fifth purple for Electra.
  • HeyoJayo
    HeyoJayo Posts: 75
    Options
    Leveled my 0/5/4 Kingpin to 135, but without the ability to poke, seems that Luke can just outgrind me. Maybe next cycle
  • Rojas66
    Rojas66 Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    My level 115 3/1/1 KP just can't get a good board. Failed 5 times so far
  • cozmo1682
    cozmo1682 Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Rojas66 wrote:
    My level 115 3/1/1 KP just can't get a good board. Failed 5 times so far

Same here, but mine is 1/3/1 got him down to about 5k, but just cant deal enough damage to get it done
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Levelled my 2/5/5 Kingpin to 130 and got lucky - 1500~ hp left at the end. Denied yellow and black and he only got off one black. 5 in purple really helped... I let 2 yellows finish completely for the strike tiles mainly to then did some measly 2k pokes with the rest.

Iceman blue prize bringing him to 3/2/2, so I'm happy!
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    1/4/3. After 7 tries at 127 I leveled to 172. That plus a friendly Board finally did it. 5 star.pngicon_ironman.pngyellowflag.png for my trouble, not too shabby!
  • mjmora87
    Options
    HeyoJayo wrote:
    Leveled my 0/5/4 Kingpin to 135, but without the ability to poke, seems that Luke can just outgrind me. Maybe next cycle

Can you level him anymore? I think even if you could get to 145 or so and get a lucky board to deny him black, you could do it after a decent number of attempts.