Crash of the Titans Cycle 3: Jean Grey

Options
jojeda654
jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
Mine's 3/2/5. Sigh... time for a mini-rant!

I keep getting duplicate greens! I think out of the last 5 covers for her, only 1 hasn't been green. Had they been one of the other colors, I would've already champed her. Ah well.

Comments

• Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Mine's 3/2/5. Sigh... time for a mini-rant!

I keep getting duplicate greens! I think out of the last 5 covers for her, only 1 hasn't been green. Had they been one of the other colors, I would've already champed her. Ah well.
    The next time you get a green cover for her, you can give it to me! icon_e_wink.gif

Since my failure with Sam I`m really looking forward to that one. My Jean stands at 5/2/4 (level 140, with an option to put her up to level 229).
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jojeda654 wrote:
    I keep getting duplicate greens!

This is what I'm talking about.
    9pHD6iWl.jpg
    Well played, MPQ.
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    First Try with 156 5/1/2 Jean - Boosted all damage 100%/2+ all and 2+P/B

Denyed red and purple, got lucky basically. Fired Green when I Moonie collected enough purple, she moved it, flipped it then I used purple to remove it. A little luck involved but pleasantly surprised!

Got icon_moonknight.pnggreenflag.png taking him 1/1/3 - he's my new unicorn!
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've lost 14 times now with my level 160 5/3/3 Jean Grey, even when boosting AP and damage. I am starting to hate Moonstone even more than I already did...
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 241 Tile Toppler
    Options
    2nd try, level 188 Jean at 2/2/5. Didn't use boosts the first time around, and that didn't go so well. 2nd time I use all AP, all match damage, and +2 b/p AP.

It was still pretty close but that match damage boost definitely helped. Fired off green, and then waited to fire of purple until after Moonstone used control shift. Fired off green again to down her, luckily so as she was about to use her red.

Very happily received star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironman.pngredflag.pngicon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_razz.gif
  • cozmo1682
    cozmo1682 Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My Jean is 1/2/5 i tried at level 150 and failed so I brought her up to 160. The 8k health really helped out.

I went 50% boost on red since you have to deny red and blue/purple since those are my colors. Did a +2 boost to green too.

Purple is the way to win for most folks, but with just 1 purple its no damage. Deny red and black, collect green and purple when you can.

I had a pretty sweet sequence where i cast green, got a few extra hits from special tiles. She stole with control shift and i took em away with purple. Kept denying, survived a red and a couple of gravity warps. Hit her with another green...uh oh...i have 200 health and she has 340..oh no, she has 26 health...ATTACK TILES save the day.

Winner got icon_cyclops.pngblueflag.png
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    my gosh she has a ton of health. even with a champed jean it just takes forever. first try no boosts, but had to throw at least 3 abilities with my champ. that means a long, slow match and you'd better be good at denial.
  • Rojas66
    Rojas66 Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    Tried 4 times unsuccessfully with my 158 3/1/5 and only came close one time. Need better luck with the board
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is always such a surprisingly hard fight relative to how highly people speak of JG. Sadly, she is pretty average 1v1 and moonstone is a bad matchup for her (tons of health, fueled by special tiles, cheap damage without special tiles).

4 failed tries so far with my 3/4/4 JG @150. Still waiting for a decent board.

Edit: about 13 tries in total before I won. Just barely scraped by with 210 health left. Key was being able to put out some special tiles before she had 9 black. So I was ablebtobstau ahead of her, had 10 purple when she control shifted, and then had 12 more green when she spent her black. Still a very narrow victory; too close for comfort.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've tried this 4x and don't think I'll be putting too much more effort into it.

I've been getting a steady stream of LTs since Jean was introduced last year, and still only have 6 covers for her. I even saved up taco tokens for a few weeks knowing this Crash was coming, and pulled 20 covers hoping to get a 7th Jean out of this vault, but no such luck.

Bottom line is, my 111 3/2/1 Jean with 5800 health is no match for a Moonstone with 18.7k. I actually had a really nice attempt where I think I had a fair amount of luck -- very little red, cascades going my way, two enemy match-5s -- and that only got her down to 12k. I think I'd really need another 2-3 covers and level her a little more to have any kind of shot.

So after a nice 9-1 start to Cycle 3, this loss will bring my record to 10-5.
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mine is sitting at 3/2/3, 115. I have the iso to max her (168), but I'm trying to hold the iso to champ Thor (cover in queue with 6 days left). So, two questions. Has anyone had luck at a similar level yet? And I'm almost out of +3 all colors, those are 100 HP aren't they? Going to have to weigh out using my iso before I run out of boosts.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Mine is sitting at 3/2/3, 115. I have the iso to max her (168), but I'm trying to hold the iso to champ Thor (cover in queue with 6 days left). So, two questions. Has anyone had luck at a similar level yet? And I'm almost out of +3 all colors, those are 100 HP aren't they? Going to have to weigh out using my iso before I run out of boosts.

I just won at 3/4/4 @ 150. Last cycle I won with 2/2/4 @ 150. For reference, I went with match damage boosts on b/p, crit boosts, and +2 b/p ap. So it's possible, but takes a lot of tries. Petergibbons 4*ddq guide has some useful tips, including more details about my own strategies. Good luck!

Sluggo, I think you might, unfortunately, be unable to win. I just don't think your current build will have enough health to compensate for its lack of damage. Just a few more covers should put you over the hill (2 purple for sure, and even a couple of greens would give you a shot)
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

I just won at 3/4/4 @ 150. Last cycle I won with 2/2/4 @ 150. For reference, I went with match damage boosts on b/p, crit boosts, and +2 b/p ap. So it's possible, but takes a lot of tries. Petergibbons 4*ddq guide has some useful tips, including more details about my own strategies. Good luck!

I just won on my second try with a L141, 3/3/3 JG (but with only 500 health left). +All match damage, +2B/P, +2G/B. It's doable, but it's a tough one for sure. Her powers just don't do much damage as a 1 on 1, and at cover level 3.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I've tried four or five times with a 3/3/1 lvl 131 Jean with absolutely no luck (using +100% match, +50% R/Y match, +2 blue/purple AP). I just don't think 1 green cover is going to cut it, and she's just too slow to cut down Moonstone's absurdly high health fast enough to not get match damaged to death. The best I was able to do is to get her down to ~5,000 health, and that was the match where she dropped two match-5s.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    ... and moonstone is a bad matchup for her
    isnt it always a bad matchup in ddq4?
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    ammenell wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    ... and moonstone is a bad matchup for her
    isnt it always a bad matchup in ddq4?

Not at all. Prof x is matched up against someone who helpfully makes friendly special tiles. Imhb gets to fight hulk (an incredibly easy matchup).

By contrast, flaptain, star-lord, and JG all face especially difficult opponents, given their respective abilities.

4*ddq matchups vary wildly in difficulty. Some require as little as a single cover (e.g. prof. X purple), others punish players very harshly for not having 5 covers is a particular color (e.g. flaptain red). JG is definitely on the harder side (though not the absolute hardest).
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    JG is definitely on the harder side (though not the absolute hardest).
    I'd say MFer and cho are the hardest. oh and they suck the most, so there ya go. MFer is easier with blue covers tho. cho is just hard to get enough damage out of him. and if you luck into being able to heal him, it ends the turn.
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Finally beat. Had to level Jean to ~180 though. Then, after spending all that ISO, I immediately got an easy board and beat her without a problem. icon_neutral.gif
  • ninjar69
    ninjar69 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Took me twice with 188- 3 4 2
    100 MD 2 BP 2 AP. Lot easier than last time. Got a blue Banner. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • dswan3rd
    dswan3rd Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1/1/3, LVL 115...just not enough power (or health) to make this a reasonable matchup without a perfect board...