4* Nerf Rumor and MPQ Credibility

Options
TheOncomingStorm
TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
As many probably already heard, there is a rumor going around that another 4* character is going to be nerfed. I for one have had it if this is true. I'm tired of playing nerf whichever 4* is being most widely used by the player base or the character most players are raging about on the forum.

1. Until X-Force green gets fixed, no one should be discussing any future nerfs or buffs. It'd be nice to get that one correct and behind everyone first.

2. You are supposed to be game designers, not politicians running to make moves with the change of sentiment every 5 minutes. Any time a character is loved by players, the same people always break out their posters and pitch forks calling for them to be nerfed. News flash, we are allowed to have characters we like AND use them. The two are not mutually exclusive.

3. You took away X-Force and 4or. I sold countless characters that I had to bite and scratch to earn, than spend even more hours obtaining the iso to level them. I did this to buy covers for one of the non-nerfed 4*'s. This was also after I spent money out of my pocket to buy covers. The reason I am hearing for the nerf is the same concern I voice when the character was first released, so you cannot say you did not know about it. I expect a full refund of all my HP and ISO spent if the nerf goes through.

4. Enough with the nerfs and changes (and to tinky kitty heck with the "nice" people who continue to push for them on the forum). You are supposed to be game designers. This game and the characters did not just come out yesterday. Enough is enough. If you want to hold together the little credibility you have left when it comes to nerfs, this needs to stop before it gets any worse. Players spend countless hours earning the covers and iso to get these characters. Some even spend money. There is a breaking point where you will have no credibility left at all. Already, there a lot of players that would love to buy covers for KP, PX, and HB, and have done so in the past without thought. Now, they have the HP (so it's not like they are saving money), but they are afraid to buy covers because they no longer trust you. To be honest, why would/should they?

5. Most importantly it's time to stop nerfing 4*'s. If the problem is a 2* or 3*, fix the problem. Please stop penalizing the other characters and players. I do not know who started the idea that whenever a 4* is more powerful than a 3* and transitioning and newer players do not like playing against that character, that character needs to be nerfed. However, it offensive, illogical, and the epitome of what is wrong when characters get balanced lately. Brace yourselves, it is okay for a 4* to be better than a 3*. I'll go further, not only is it okay, this is actually how it should be. You know what happens when someone sees X-Force, they let him collect all the green that he wants. Really? This is what is going for "balanced" these days?

P.S. For the "nice" people that continue to push characters to be nerfed, y'all can not not rot in a warm place. I also do not want to hear balance is a continuing struggle. This just in, no one said a year's of balancing should take place within a two month period.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    It is downright depressing watching great characters getting brutally nerfed into oblivion. I'd be OK with tweaks (like lower the overall damage amount a bit etc), but lately characters have simply been ruined.
    And the worst part about X-Force Wolvie is that he was a weak novelty character originally before he received a massive buff. Really, buff him just to nerf him a few months later? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Haven't heard any of these rumors. Who's on the chopping block this time? Prof X?
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This to shall pass.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ive said it before and I will repeat: D3 has poor balancing methods. We as players know what is above avarage on both numbers and effects, and we know what is wrong with the characters we use/fight (be it too good or too bad). Then D3 has even more info on every of those aspects, and instead of making what is too good be on the avarage level or balance 1 or 2 powers out of 3, they decide to change it all at once and mostly for below avarage.

If you look for other competitive games that roll patches constantly, they almost never do huge changes at once, they roll some changes and wait it sink before deciding if it was more or less than necessary for said balance. And they dont care to undo those changes if needed, what we know that D3 will never do.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Haven't heard any of these rumors. Who's on the chopping block this time? Prof X?

Must be. Elektra and IW were just buffed, XForce and 4Thor were anti-buffed. Dino's a novelty. That leaves StarLord, KingPin, and the Professor.

Only one of those has had an army of posts about them.
  • Unknown
    Unknown ADMINISTRATORS
    Options
    I'm just going to nip this in the bud:

There are currently no plans to make any updates (positive or negative) to any 4-Star characters. If it becomes apparent that an update is needed at some point in the future, we will post here and elsewhere giving players forewarning as to the upcoming change as we have done previously.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No news is good news! Thanks for the timely nip, Miles!
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

There are currently no plans to make any updates (positive or negative) to any 4-Star characters. If it becomes apparent that an update is needed at some point in the future, we will post here and elsewhere giving players forewarning as to the upcoming change as we have done previously.

Well, that'll be good enough for me (until/unless a trusted Data-miner comes forward saying otherwise.).
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arondite wrote:

Well, that'll be good enough for me (until/unless a trusted Data-miner comes forward saying otherwise.).
    Moonstone is going to get nefed because her black is just too powerful. It will now cost 5 more AP and her purple will do a random swap like the AI does. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options

The communication is appreciated, if mixed (means no tweaks to GT or XF, either).

It's not the idea of nerfs that bothers me, it's the inability for players to effectively course correct. A few weeks of advance notice is better than nothing, but the runway to building a 4* character is much more than a couple weeks.

If the resources that were put into a character could be reallocated, I don't think there's many players at all who would have a problem with nerfs and rebalancing. The sell values and buyback for changed characters don't come anywhere close to that, though, which means the players bear the bulk of the negative effects of rebalancing.

Respecs for minor rebalancing and full buybacks for major rebalancing would make rebalancing a positive change for everyone.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They specified 4* characters only.

There's still hope for the much needed Iron Fist purple ability cost increase! (hopefully conditional damage buff to compensate)

Also can we finally get around to nerfing Juggernaught?
    He's never been on par with other one stars.

To the OP: This is a game where characters will get balanced through buffs and nerfs from time to time. Buyer beware. 4* characters are not exempt.
    It doesn't matter if you want 4*'s to be substantially stronger than 3*'s...that's not the direction of this game. You'll have to learn to accept this because I'd be amazed if we NEVER see another 4* nerf happen in the future of this game.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Classic fearmongering news. "Hey guys there's a rumour that... (insert something they're making up and that they know will easily incense the masses)." I live and breathe in these forums as many of you know, and I haven't heard this "rumour" until now. Good thing that Miles was quick on the case.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I heard a rumor that if you can collect and Max level every single character twice you unlock a hidden mission in the prologue with each of Iron Patriot's 3 covers & 2000 Iso as the rewards.

This only works if you don't spend HP on any covers though. Any characters that have HP spent directly buying their covers won't count towards the two for each.
  • Unknown
    Options

My interpretation: Devs won't nerf PX until enough players have him covered and he is warping the metagame at the top (see: 4T and XF becoming the only two other chars you see other than the essential once you crossed 800 or so points).

In a vacuum, this mode of action seems reasonable if not unavoidable. However, every time you do this you have offered pittance for compensation. Is a player-friendly refund policy that isn't worth pennies on the dollar too much to ask?
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is the problem with the dedicated group of Nerf Herders on the forum.
    They have set themselves up as the authority on what is "best" for the game.
    Only they know which characters "need" to be changed and they are determined to help the entire community with the purity of their mission.
    This rumor came directly from the uninformed mouth of one of the most active Nerf Herders who whispered it in enough ears over the weekend to set off a panic.
    This person said it came directly from an unnamed dev and corroborated their "in the know" ability by regurgitating the spoilers about upcoming characters which anyone who wants to know can find out by just going to the appropriate subsection of this forum.
    The Nerf Herders argument about which character's "balance" will fix the game has been proven over and over to be wrong only to see another "unbalanced" character rise.
    They have reached new levels of hysteria when they started calling for a nerf of Scarlet Witch one day after she was released before any of them have ever played with the character. I have played with the character and she definitely fuels some interesting combos but in needing of the Nerf Herders "balance" I don't think so.
    I expect the nerf Hulkbuster thread to be along any day now.

Thank you Miles for actually coming in and showing up this fool for his inaccuracy and rumor mongering. I wish I thought it wouldn't be necessary again and again but I think the Nerf Herders like the attention they get too much.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1. Until X-Force green gets fixed, no one should be discussing any future nerfs or buffs. It'd be nice to get that one correct and behind everyone first.

You know what happens when someone sees X-Force, they let him collect all the green that he wants. Really? This is what is going for "balanced" these days?

Xforce's green was already fixed, and everyone still uses it plenty. It's just now that when someone like Punisher is buffed, people won't use XForce anyways. His green is more of a Juggernaut shakeup now than a damage dealer. I found it especially useful vs Ultron, and when you need to remove a special tile that is stomping you (inivisibilty anyone?) off the board when you can't get to it.

I would love to see footage of you letting xforce get green. I expect we will be watching him get a cascade earning blacks for himself or maybe some purples for Iron Fist (etc). Good luck with that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    omg. still Xf??

explain to me how they are gonna sell hulkbuster if they dont nerf xf.
    whatever impression and assumption you have for this game are wrong.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:

You know what happens when someone sees X-Force, they let him collect all the green that he wants. Really? This is what is going for "balanced" these days?

Xforce's green was already fixed, and everyone still uses it plenty. It's just now that when someone like Punisher is buffed, people won't use XForce anyways. His green is more of a Juggernaut shakeup now than a damage dealer. I found it especially useful vs Ultron, and when you need to remove a special tile that is stomping you (inivisibilty anyone?) off the board when you can't get to it.

I would love to see footage of you letting xforce get green. I expect we will be watching him get a cascade earning blacks for himself or maybe some purples for Iron Fist (etc). Good luck with that.
    What? Using x-force on ultron was just asking for the bombs to go from the top of the board straight to the bottom.

I'm still very skeptical of the average of 5 AP generated per cast for the green, as the last time I recorded the cascade, it seemed like 1/2 0-matches, 1/3 1 match, and like once every dozen matches or so a mega cascade that would skew the mean. Any chance the simulator could be rerun for a median number?

(and Cyke's black is way more reliable and more importantly, more idiot-AI resistant, than SS now anyway)
  • Unknown
    Options
    one more thing, if you think all people come to speak at the forum are from the player base, you are even more wrong.

i probably getting down vote for this but what really surprise me is how much a sskissing ppl like to do. when the deve come throw out an update, no matter it benefit players or not, it gets upvote. And, that is what i call illogical. its not like they will increase your token pull rate if u upvote enough.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This is the problem with the dedicated group of Nerf Herders on the forum.

Someone can't wait for the new Star Wars movie... Colognoisseur, you sir, have Nerf Herders on the brain. Four times you mentioned Nerf Herders in your post. I wouldn't be surprised if all the Nerf Herders on the forum come down on you in a cloud of herd dust. ...Where's Chewy when you need him? icon_e_smile.gif

Nerf Herders.
This discussion has been closed.